What if?

Nick B

CCCUK Member
What if you had £35k to spend on a classic Yank, a garage big enough to take any car but you could only have one and it couldn't be a Corvette, what would you buy?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The most aggressive front end for a mustang is widely acknowledged as the 1969, with the twin lights. It was toned down for the 1970 model somewhat.
£35k is very light for a 67/68 fastback nowadays it’s probably a bit light for a 69/70 as well.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Me personally would look for a challenger or a first generation Camaro. Maybe even a nice olds cutlass convertible . Not sure if 35k would be enough tho for the challenger or Camaro. Mustangs are overpriced at the moment both here and in the states.

Roscobbc

1966 Galaxie 7 Litre - 4 speed
293771.jpg

1967 Fairlane 390 GTA
dn0716-258927_1@2x.jpg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Always liked wagons, we always had a wagon for personal use as we had big dogs ( alsations and Great Danes)
That LTD with the hideaways is a beauty. Love the colour.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The one drawback of the corvette as with all “sports cars” is that you only have two seats. If you wanted to go anywhere with your mates a two seater is pretty useless. 6 sometimes 7 piled into a caprice/impala convertible was great fun, or all piled into a wagon of some sort for a weekend down the coast. Great fun. I was very fortunate dad let me use whatever he had for sale.

Last edited:

Nick B

CCCUK Member
The one drawback of the corvette as with all “sports cars” is that you only have two seats. If you wanted to go anywhere with your mates a two seater is pretty useless. 6 sometimes 7 piled into a caprice/impala convertible was great fun, or all piled into a wagon of some sort for a weekend down the coast. Great fun. I was very fortunate dad let me use whatever he had for sale.
Agreed, one of the reasons why I'm thinking of a change to a 4 seater.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Agreed, one of the reasons why I'm thinking of a change to a 4 seater.
I think that’s one of the reasons the mustang has become so popular over the last 20 odd years. People want a “yank” to enjoy with friends. Going to shows etc. It’s a classic, it seats, 4/5, is not to big. A proper American car. The full size cars are great, especially the convertibles but they need a large garage.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Mercury Cougar.
Another good choice. The “thinking mans mustang” they used to say
The original one was a nice size, even for our roads, once they started getting bigger and bulkier it became just another 1970’s yank tank. I do like them tho, especially the convertibles. Think OHMSS. That cougar would have looked so much better with BB (Bridget Bardot) behind the wheel rather than Diana Rigg.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Bardot is nuttier than squirrel poop!!

Had dinner in the revolving restaurant at the top of the Schilthorn that was Telly’s lair in OHMSS a few years ago. Going back there this summer.
8B6862CB-F154-450C-BD41-4BEAD80456DC.jpeg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Back then she was first choice to play the countess Tracey. But she played another European noblewoman in the western Shalako opposite Sean Connery, so she was dropped from the part. Pity as I think she would have been more realistic as a European countess than Diana Rigg.
A blond in a Red convertible always looks great.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Always liked wagons, we always had a wagon for personal use as we had big dogs ( alsations and Great Danes)
That LTD with the hideaways is a beauty. Love the colour.
I love the big old Yank wagons. I think they look awesome. The photos above were just some examples. Seen a few big wagons like them over the years, including a ropey looking (in a good way) one down in Cornwall with some guys using it as a surfing wagon.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
My favourite one we had when I was young was our Oldsmobile vista cruiser. It had the curved side/roof glass panels which as a kid I thought was soo cool.
proper surf wagon nowadays.

James Vette

CCCUK Member
I think that’s one of the reasons the mustang has become so popular over the last 20 odd years. People want a “yank” to enjoy with friends. Going to shows etc. It’s a classic, it seats, 4/5, is not to big. A proper American car. The full size cars are great, especially the convertibles but they need a large garage.
I swear on the C2 coupe they could have fitted a third or even two extra seats if they removed the storage area.