When dummies think they are smarter then GM

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
A wise guy thinks he is smarter than GM and tales a new C8 Z51 and mods the hell out of the LT2 engine and claims he has the faster C8 in the world (what does he call every owner and see if his BS is true ?)
Then adds NOS to claim and engine designed for maybe 600 HP now his claim his puts out 1,700 HP !

As you may know GM has LOCKED and encrypted the controllers for the C8, so that means guys like me who do custom performance tuning cannot tune C8s either the engine or the TCM for the DCT tranny

This means the only try and make this work is use stand-alone controllers and tune them

So he and his gang go to a drag strip and the results you expect happens

As you can see venting NOS at the staging line

101921_6b.jpg

By about 1,000 feet down the track, the engine blows to hell and puts the rods through the oil pan :(

101921_3b.jpg

He states :

The data logger told them it was cylinder 1 that failed on the car.
Once the car is on the lift, we see a massive hole in the crankcase.
C8 owner believes the connecting rod snapped in half, which caused the engine to blow.

GM did their homework to prevent engine and tranny getting mods, cannot tune for them at all :-(

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Part of me wants to laugh, but part of me salutes him for actually having a go at something different and trying to mod a C8. Still, he probably should have started out smaller and built on it slowly over time and not bragged about X, Y, and Z etc.

It reminded me of a little of a Youtube video I watched years back about a group of people buying an old BMW, modding the heck out of it to make it really fast for the Nurburgring. Took them ages, and they videoed all their mods and work on the car. They took it to the Nurburgring and joined the track at Hotel, and were far too enthusiastic with their creation that they immediately lost it right on the corner at Hotel where they had just joined and thus wiped out the car, completely destroyed. Hats off to them for putting their video of fail on Youtube, but still a lesson in taking it easy and building on things etc.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Some "modders" forget that with electronic torque management manufacturers can use components with much less leeway or tolerance than used to be the case back in the day. So the scope for extracting more power/performance without things breaking is far more limited. Engines are less likely to welcome the liberation of extra power and transmissions will soon fail if engine torque isn't backed off sufficiently during shifts.