Trans fluid cooling

Lewis117

CCCUK Member
Hi all, I have a 95 C4, I've started drag racing her, but when doing qualifying you may have to do multiple runs in a short space of time

Obviously no air going through her when in the pits or staging lanes

So I've noticed the auto trans fluid can get up to 220+ at which point changing gear is a struggle

I was thinking of wiring up a little fan to just blast air onto the fluid reservoir, was wondering if anyone had any other advice for keeping the trans fluid cool

Thanks in advance

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Depends on what you're willing to spend

1. Swap to a dual row radiator as this will double the fluids volume flow and help reduce the temps of the tranny fluid flowing through the end caps

2. Swap to a higher flowing radiator cooling fans

3. Add an external cooler that is in series with the tranny hose to radiator, some styles also have its own cooling fan
Example

4. Replace the tranny fluid pan with one that holds more fluid so less heat buildup
Example

5. Swap out the coolant thermostat from the stock 195 F degree to like a 170 degree will then prevent temps over 200 deg

6. Choose a tranny fluid type to one that handles heat better

Lewis117

CCCUK Member
Depends on what you're willing to spend

1. Swap to a dual row radiator as this will double the fluids volume flow and help reduce the temps of the tranny fluid flowing through the end caps

2. Swap to a higher flowing radiator cooling fans

3. Add an external cooler that is in series with the tranny hose to radiator, some styles also have its own cooling fan
Example

4. Replace the tranny fluid pan with one that holds more fluid so less heat buildup
Example

5. Swap out the coolant thermostat from the stock 195 F degree to like a 170 degree will then prevent temps over 200 deg

6. Choose a tranny fluid type to one that handles heat better
Thanks for the help, will probably try better fluid and better fans and go from there 👍

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
If not done in some time, it maybe a good time to change the internal tranny filter when changing fluid

Vetteheadracer

CCCUK Member
I fitted an external radiator at the back of my C5 to cool the transmission fluid. This had the added benefit of additional capacity of fluid in the lines and the radiator. Can’t actually remember how I got it to circulate, but a small pump would be the best option.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I fitted an external radiator at the back of my C5 to cool the transmission fluid. This had the added benefit of additional capacity of fluid in the lines and the radiator. Can’t actually remember how I got it to circulate, but a small pump would be the best option.

At first, I installed the GM performance cooler, but it did not work very well for the tranny

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
If you read my install of the gm cooler above, I installed it just as GM instructions were

I then was doing a 90-mile Open Road Race in Nevada where weather was 90 F degrees at speeds from 160-180 MPH
About half way distance I noticed out the back solid white smoke blowing like hell
All the gauges reported correctly, but I was pissed and refused to give it up until I crossed the finish line

2 time Indy 500 driver Rodger Ward would put this race on came to me at the awards dinner laughing his ass off saying
2 counties want to thank me as saying I killed every bug in both counties :-(

When I got home I debugged the problem
The pump is a pusher, not puller type
Instructions showed where to mount the pump and there was the problem as the pump was higher than the drain side of the tranny
Thus, the fluid was not getting to the pump, and it's still running caused all the Mobil I Synthetic tranny fluid in front of pump all
the way to the front were cooler was and then pushed back inside the fill side of MN6 manual 6 speed tranny

This caused the tranny to be fluid overfilled, heat and blow out the vent plug that faces up to the underside of the floor and splash than
onto both super hot exhaust pipes and fluid burned becoming white smoke
Here is what the vent looked like, nice and melted
vent.jpg

So I did not trust the GM design and found a dual split cooler that can be used as one whole cooler or split so half for tranny and other half for transaxle

I ripped out all GM's cooler, hosing ,etc

cmpcoolers.jpg

I mounted this cooler at the back
Installed a 12-inch fan above it and controlled when it and the pump functioned with a thermal switch set to trip on at 180 F degrees
and also installed a gauge on a pod up front for a temp gauge, so I always know what the tranny temp is
This meant then the tranny cooler lines were very short, where drain of tranny to inflow to cooler and its output then went to the fill plug of tranny as the return

dualcooler.jpg

Been like this for like 20 years and works great with no issues