1976 seat belt check

Nigel curry

CCCUK Member
I can’t seem to lock the seat belts (give them a sharp tug at an angle or straight) does this mean they are shot they are old!! Any thoughts when you have time
Thanks nige

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
The only way to physically check the inertia reel mechanism is to strip out the interior trim panel and see what is or is not going on when you tug the belt . You have nothing to loose as you will have to go through the process if you need to fit new belts . I replaced mine a few years ago as the belts were warn and it`s a straight forward enough job .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I can’t seem to lock the seat belts (give them a sharp tug at an angle or straight) does this mean they are shot they are old!! Any thoughts when you have time
Thanks nige
The usual suppliers on here can all supply period correct replacement belts and retractors. I teplaced my later 3 points in the 72 with repro separate lap and shoulder belts which give that classic feel. .
If yours just need belt material then a shout out for FSTD near brooklands in surrey . They have made retro belts with chrome aviator buckles for a beach buggy for me and replaced chewed up belts from my van, absolutely first class and nothing seems a problem to them. I drove up from cwll , went for a coffee and breakfast and they were ready to collect in less than two hours. 👍

johng

CCCUK Member
Don't know if yours are the same, but the original belts in my car were not inertial reel, they were the pendulum type. They locked up when the car tipped down at the front as you hit the brakes hard. FDTS (it's not FSTD) in Surrey supplied me with new inertial reel belts using the original buckles, so it could still use the seat belt warning switch.

Emc

Supporting vendor
Just because you cannot lock them by pulling does not mean they are toast.
They lowers have a locking mechanism that normally need lubricating. Sometimes the internal plastic cogs do wear in which case they are toast.