72 Outer Grilles

TimP

CCCUK Member
I am in the process of refurbishing the outer grilles on my '72. What colour should the egg crate bit be? Mine are currently black (but in pretty poor shape) but I have seen some in dark grey. Any help appreciated. Anorak fact - although a '72, mine is clearly an early one as these outer grilles still have the fibre optic housing on the top although this feature was discontinued in '71.
Exterior 59.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Looking at GM museum for 1972
1972Corvetteb.jpg1972Corvette.jpg

And others sure looks like outer edge is gray with black inside ?
With one in black does not look as nice

72grill.jpg72c3.jpg1972orvette-coupe.jpg

antijam

CCCUK Member
I've just had my '71 grilles rechromed and I repainted the egg crate area in a matt dark grey (anthracite) paint. The general consensus on most of the forums I visited seemed to be that dark grey was original, not black. Satin black however was original on the larger painted surfaces of the grilles and the 'underriders'. To be honest once they're back in situ they could be almost any dark colour. It's the chrome highlights that catch the eye.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I am in the process of refurbishing the outer grilles on my '72. What colour should the egg crate bit be? Mine are currently black (but in pretty poor shape) but I have seen some in dark grey. Any help appreciated. Anorak fact - although a '72, mine is clearly an early one as these outer grilles still have the fibre optic housing on the top although this feature was discontinued in '71.
View attachment 25662
Refurbed mine a while back and went for a dark metallic grey which seemed correct from most pictures I found. IMG_3475.jpeg