94-year-old guy, a Corvette, what could go wrong ?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The 94-year-old driver of a black C6 Corvette coupe faces multiple citations after a two-vehicle collision Wednesday afternoon that caused a pickup to overturn in Roseburg, Oregon.

Local police say Weyland Phillips was traveling west on Northeast Oakland Avenue in a Corvette when he allegedly quickly tried to cross Northeast Stephens Street without coming to a complete halt at the stop sign. In the process, the Corvette struck a pickup driven by a 51-year-old headed south on Northeast Stephens.

A photo from the scene shows the Corvette lost its front clip and driver’s door (likely due to the eventual extrication of the driver by emergency crews), coming to rest on the sidewalk next to a sign for Apex Ace Home Center. In another photo, the truck was shown upside down on the edge of the Apex property facing west, with its camper cover knocked loose and lying upright nearby on Stephens Street.

According to a witness, the Corvette was coming from Oakland Avenue between Clint Newell Auto Group and Safeway when it struck the southbound pickup.
The Corvette ended up on the sidewalk next to a sign for Apex Ace Home Center.
The pickup came to a rest upside down on the edge of the Apex property, facing westbound. The vehicle’s canopy came off and landed on Stephens Street.

Two ambulances were on site, and it appeared that both drivers were receiving medical attention, with at least one reportedly transported as a trauma patient. Southbound Stephens Street was closed, with traffic being diverted into the Safeway parking lot.
One lane of northbound traffic was able to get through the area under the direction of Roseburg Police.

Both vehicles had to be towed from the scene.
Both drivers were transported to CHI Mercy Medical Center for treatment of minor injuries and have now been released.
The 94-year-old Corvette driver was cited for having no operator license, driving uninsured, and careless driving.

022224_11b.jpg022224_10b.jpg

Roscobbc

Sad story and one that the 'ageist' lobby would leap onto here as well. And yes I'm sure we've all seen seemingly doddery old boys and girls perhaps struggling with driving conditions and seemingly unaware of what is happening around them.
Here in UK we all have to renew our driving licenses at 70 year of age - and after that every 3 years.
If you have certain medical conditions you'll need a doctors letter.
Reality is that if you don't ever visit the doctor or get taken in to hospital for these certain conditions AND don't take eyesight tests no one will ever know - you're 'off the grid' effectively.......until perhaps you have a prang or the old bill 'pull' you for something stupid.
A further reality is that I have seen more young drivers, delivery van drivers, bus drivers, housewives on shopping runs, or taking kids to school and non-english first language drivers (probably driving with a faux license) and the uninsured, unlicensed, drunk, drugged, permanent weed smoking, Nox sniffing drivers to be overly concerned about the odd occasion that an octangenarian makes a mistake.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Here in UK we all have to renew our driving licenses at 70 year of age - and after that every 3 years.
If you have certain medical conditions you'll need a doctors letter.
I had to renew my driving licence for medical reason every 3 years starting when I was around 20. Pain in the backside. Thankfully, I've not had any issues in years now, so been granted a normal UK licence. So nice not having to renew every 3 years and faff around with the DVLA who inevitably delay things as long as they can, meaning there are months where you can't drive until they pull their fingers out.