Additional Rate VED period on UK spec C7

Vet68

CCCUK Member
My car was registered Sep 2018 and DVLA website says additional VED payable until Aug 2024 I.e. 6 years.

I have checked registrations of other C7s on DVLA and there is variations in the period. I won't state reg numbers but for example:

A C7 regd March 2018, additional VED until Feb 2024 so also 6 years.

But...

A C7 regd May 2018 additional VED until Sep 2023. 5 years.

A C7 regd Aug 2019. Additional BED until July 2024. 5 years.

I expect all of these cars will have passed through the hands of Ian Allen and perhaps discrepancies have crept in
My V5C says it's a Stingray but it's a GS.

Anyone noticed the tax rates being wrong for their cars and checked with DVLA?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
According to DVLA

Vehicles with a list price of more than £40,000​

You have to pay an extra £390 a year if you have a car or motorhome with a ‘list price’ (the published price before any discounts) of more than £40,000. You do not have to pay this if you have a zero emission vehicle.

You only have to pay this rate for 5 years (from the second time the vehicle is taxed).”

So I’m guessing the last sentence is the reason for the differences in the cars you quoted.

Vet68

CCCUK Member
I don't quite get that though. I'm the 3rd keeper of the car, but the period is 6 years. Same for others it seems. There is clearly a difference.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
For example:
Car 1 is bought Jan 2020 with 12 months tax. 2nd time it is taxed is Jan 2021. 5 years from then is Jan 2026

Or

Car 2 is bought Jan 2020 with 12 months tax. It’s Sorn’d or sold to a dealer in April 2020 and then put back in the road and hence taxed for the 2nd time in June 2020. 5 years from then is June 2025.

Vet68

CCCUK Member
Ah OK, thank you. That makes more sense to me. I just found it odd that a car registered after mine would have a VED reduction before mine. I have not encountered this before. More importantly, I don't want diddling by DVLA! It's already iniquitous that an imported car has lower VED than a UK car. That's the price of a fully functioning satnav and repeater indicators already fitted though!