Air filter cleaning

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all , my 72 has the k and n type air filter element not disposable paper type. I used to clean my motorcycle ones with petrol. What do folk here use and then ince they are clean and blown dry do you leave them dry or a light mist of air filter oil ? TiA 👍

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Due to what the filter is made of, after washing with light soap like used to lean dishes

K&N sells the correct oil spray to lightly spray on and let set for like 30 minutes to soak into the filter

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Due to what the filter is made of, after washing with light soap like used to lean dishes

K&N sells the correct oil spray to lightly spray on and let set for like 30 minutes to soak into the filter
I have the oil, just checking if people use it or not. The element is a bit oily so not sure soapy water will clean it enough whereas petrol will and then evaporate . 🤔👍

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
They require oil since their filters have larger pores
This is to allow more airflow, but also means more crap can be carried into the intake
The oil is there to catch and hold the crap going through and why the filter should be kept clean

Depending on the makeup of the filter, they state only use a hot mild soap and let soak
Anything else used could degrade the makeup of filter

Frankly, using a clean stock filter flows as good as these so-called performance gain marketing hype high-priced ones