Clutch rod

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all, fitted a new clutch fork rod and springs today in an attempt to eliminate my light rattle /,vibration that I get through the clutch pedal. The hole in the old rod (at the fork end) was very worn and elongated, I can still get a rattle if I wiggle the fork where it exits the bellhousing, so if this doesnt improve things I will have to investigate the fork stud inside the bellhousing when the box is out. Too wet to roadtest today so will report back later. IMG_7900.jpegIMG_7902.jpeg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Would stronger or a bit shorter springs off the rod put more tension on the fork to prevent free play ?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I have a spare spring so maybe I will double up on one of them to see if that helps πŸ‘
The movement seems more at the pivot end of the clutch arm that exits the bellhousing not where it fixes to the fork rod. I wonder if the stud inside the bellhousing or the arm itself is worn? Or could be the thrust bearing rattling on the fork possibly? πŸ€”. Box is coming out one day so will be more apparent then I suppose. πŸ‘

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
The movement seems more at the pivot end of the clutch arm that exits the bellhousing not where it fixes to the fork rod. I wonder if the stud inside the bellhousing or the arm itself is worn? Or could be the thrust bearing rattling on the fork possibly? πŸ€”. Box is coming out one day so will be more apparent then I suppose. πŸ‘
I think you will always get a bit of movement of the clutch fork if you waggle it - it only sits on the ball stud and there’s a small amount of clearance where it hooks onto the thrust bearing. Can’t see a new ball stud will make any difference.
Maybe it originates from the thrust bearing as Ross said, or the pilot bush in the back of the flywheel could be worn.

TimP

CCCUK Member
I expect you would have checked this already so maybe this is a stupid question but is there any lateral movement in the z arm of the clutch mechanism or in the engine mounts? If there is any free play there it might push some vibration through to the clutch rod.

My bell housing and clutch release bearing lever are together but off the car at the moment - there isn't any clearance movement when you push/pull this fore and aft (ie in the direction of the length of the gearbox) but there is a little movement up and down but this is probably because the release bearing isn't located on the gearbox end at the moment.

If you need any photographs let me know.

Roscobbc

I've had this issue with another vehicle (USA Ford) using a 4 speed transmission with - to me back then it seemed as simple as a problem like harmonic vibration......rumpity, rumpity cam created quite an uneven lumpy idle and running at lower rpm. This transmitted itself as shifter 'buzz' on what was probably a well worn shifter linkage and clutch linkage. The simple way to eliminate it was reting ones hand on the shifter at affected rpm..........doubt if its your specific issue but it is a 'known' problem on yanks. Alteratively experiment with a long spring attached to the clutch rod - or clutch arm and the engine or body?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I've had this issue with another vehicle (USA Ford) using a 4 speed transmission with - to me back then it seemed as simple as a problem like harmonic vibration......rumpity, rumpity cam created quite an uneven lumpy idle and running at lower rpm. This transmitted itself as shifter 'buzz' on what was probably a well worn shifter linkage and clutch linkage. The simple way to eliminate it was reting ones hand on the shifter at affected rpm..........doubt if its your specific issue but it is a 'known' problem on yanks. Alteratively experiment with a long spring attached to the clutch rod - or clutch arm and the engine or body?
Thanks for ideas, it is a process of elimination, the old clutch fork rod hole was worn and elongated , the new one is fine but still has a little movement , the pin is a bit worn so have a new one coming. I added a couple of cable ties to limit the slack and on test driving I would say it has stopped the rattle. I will look at any other areas as you suggest in case it is down to harmonics. My shifter rods seem a bit loose and rattly so have some bushings and clips to try. I have read of folk fitting half a tennis ball over the shifter below the gaiter to absorb vibrations . Each niggle you track down and eliminate is another bonus . πŸ‘

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I think you will always get a bit of movement of the clutch fork if you waggle it - it only sits on the ball stud and there’s a small amount of clearance where it hooks onto the thrust bearing. Can’t see a new ball stud will make any difference.
Maybe it originates from the thrust bearing as Ross said, or the pilot bush in the back of the flywheel could be worn.
I have new clutch kit and thrust bearing together with new flywheel ready for when i do the big stripdown to address my missing bearing support bolt. Am making the trans crossmember Removeable at the same time . πŸ‘

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I expect you would have checked this already so maybe this is a stupid question but is there any lateral movement in the z arm of the clutch mechanism or in the engine mounts? If there is any free play there it might push some vibration through to the clutch rod.

My bell housing and clutch release bearing lever are together but off the car at the moment - there isn't any clearance movement when you push/pull this fore and aft (ie in the direction of the length of the gearbox) but there is a little movement up and down but this is probably because the release bearing isn't located on the gearbox end at the moment.

If you need any photographs let me know.
Tim, hi, can you look at your clutch lever to bulkhead return spring. I ordered a new one but it seems a lot finer than what is on there just wondered what other folk have on their cars. IMG_7914.jpegIMG_7915.jpeg

Roscobbc

I'm guessing you are aware that clutch rods with rose joints are perhaps available from the 'states? - although TBH I really can't imagine a significant benefit unless perhaps being used on a racing clutch with minimal operational movement?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I'm guessing you are aware that clutch rods with rose joints are perhaps available from the 'states? - although TBH I really can't imagine a significant benefit unless perhaps being used on a racing clutch with minimal operational movement?
Thanks rosscobc, I did see those and for a couple of hundred quid I would go for them in a flash to cure this annoying rattle, I think tho I am winning with the things we are doing, ( try the cheap stuff first) so off for another test drive .
Not many others seem to have an issue with this so the clutch rod anti rattle springs must do their job most of the time, will play around a bit more so I can confirm exactly where mine is coming from πŸ‘

TimP

CCCUK Member
Tim, hi, can you look at your clutch lever to bulkhead return spring. I ordered a new one but it seems a lot finer than what is on there just wondered what other folk have on their cars. View attachment 25698View attachment 25699
Sorry to be so long getting a picture - it took a while to find the old one as I had consigned it to the 'to-be-replaced' section of the garden shed at the bottom of the garden!

Here is what I have - at a rough guess (and by the condition) I would say that it is probably original. This is the spring that connects the clutch release bearing lever to the clutch rod to take up any free play. It may not help much I'm afraid as it is pretty shot.

Transmission 9.jpg

I have just realised that the picture you have is of the firewall steering column to the clutch Z arm - which is what you were asking for. Must read the question in future. I do have this spring fitted on the car but I will need to take another picture - give me 20 mins.:rolleyes: