Drivers seat problem

Jimmy

Regular user
Good afternoon.
I have bought myself a nice 2003 C5,my front drivers seat has a problem.I was playing with the drivers seat,i moved it forward but it wont move back.I really struggled to get out of the car,now it's very dificult to get back in it.I really do need to move the seat back,any advice would be much appreciated.Thank you.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Is the seat with the electronics ?

If so, try using the seat lifting button upward and then look under seat for anything got jammed for seat rails
If standard seat, then have to get a hand under seat to feel anything got stuck there

If not, there is a nut on each corner seat rail on floor to remove seat and lift up over those bolts and tilt to
see anything jammed there

Jimmy

Regular user
Is the seat with the electronics ?

If so, try using the seat lifting button upward and then look under seat for anything got jammed for seat rails
If standard seat, then have to get a hand under seat to feel anything got stuck there

If not, there is a nut on each corner seat rail on floor to remove seat and lift up over those bolts and tilt to
see anything jammed there
Yes the seat is electric,theres nothing jamming the seat.I was wondering, if it uses the same motor to move it forwards and backwards then it must be the switch or a wire.The switch is all loose and falling off the seat,i should have checked it but i thought i'd make my first post.I wonder if i can get a new switch,or a good used one.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
So that changes everything

Here is the underside of my driver's seat of 1999 C5
so you can see the motors
If wanting to see other images of my seats, go to my forum gallery and select repair C5 Sports seats

Being that there are multi controls, do any of them work ?

If not either wiring came off switches, or check the seat fuses and relays in the fuse panel
which is under the trap door in passenger floor
The panel is on the right top area and under the lid you take off is a map showing what each fuse and relay are

Also, if knowing someone with a OBD-II scanner or Tech-II would be able to see when a switch is used does the BCM controller
command the seat function

BTW those seats are fricking heavy, I took both out and about busted my nuts : -)
Maybe 70 pounds each ?

C5SportsSeatrepair.jpg

Last edited:

Jimmy

Regular user
So that changes everything

Here is the underside of my driver's seat of 1999 C5
so you can see the motors
If wanting to see other images of my seats, go to my forum gallery and select repair C5 Sports seats

Being that there are multi controls, do any of them work ?

If not either wiring came off switches, or check the seat fuses and relays in the fuse panel
which is under the trap door in passenger floor
The panel is on the right top area and under the lid you take off is a map showing what each fuse and relay are

Also, if knowing someone with a OBD-II scanner or Tech-II would be able to see when a switch is used does the BCM controller
command the seat function

BTW those seats are fricking heavy, I took both out and about busted my nuts : -)
Maybe 70 pounds each ?

View attachment 22528
Yes some of the controls work,seat goes forward but not back.The tilt works but not the up and down,thanks for the picture.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
If not finding a problem at the seat then
Inside each door has a controller

It is common for water getting to wiring connectors or the weight of the wiring harness to the controller
has caused the connector to pull backward and some pins not making connections

Not hard to take the skin of door off to get to that controller
Assure all wiring and controller pins are clean

Also look closely where the wires go through the door jamb as known for wires to rub against the hole and foul up wiring

seatscontrols.jpg

Jimmy

Regular user
If not finding a problem at the seat then
Inside each door has a controller

It is common for water getting to wiring connectors or the weight of the wiring harness to the controller
has caused the connector to pull backward and some pins not making connections

Not hard to take the skin of door off to get to that controller
Assure all wiring and controller pins are clean

Also look closely where the wires go through the door jamb as known for wires to rub against the hole and foul up wiring

View attachment 22529
Thanks for your replys,found some switches just incase.They're not cheap,from Germany or the USA.I'll have a propper look in the morning.

Jimmy

Regular user
Just had a bright spark,the switches are ambidextrous.I'll take the one off the passenger side,see if that does it.If not,i'll dig a bit deeper.cheers.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Either check with the DIC, code reader or OBD-II scanner and see if any error codes show
when pushing the switch to move seat backwards, listen to the door controller and see if that relay clicks

Being the other switches work, I still would raise the seat and tilt the seat up in the front to get better view of underside
to check wiring, connectors and if motor gear is jammed

seatwirebroke.jpg

If not being able to get to all 4 nuts holding the rail to the floor :

"If the power seat motor is inoperative and the adjuster nuts are not accessible, perform the following steps.
Power up and raise the front of the power seat to gain access to the forward motor bracket.
Reach under the seat and cut the tie strap attaching the front motor bracket to the torque tube.
Bend the bracket ends inward and slide the bracket off the adjuster transmissions.
Pull the forward motor cables from the adjusters.
Insert one end of a removed cable into a low speed drill and insert the other end into the adjuster.
With the low speed drill, move the adjuster forward, alternating sides, until the rear adjuster nuts are exposed."

Or option 2:

"If the seat adjuster is inoperative and the rear adjuster nuts are not accessible, perform the following steps:
Remove the recliner handle. Refer to Seat Back Recliner Handle Replacement - Front.
Remove the seat side trim panel.
Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Front Seat

Reach under the seat cushion and cut the seat cover tie string (1) at the front center of the seat cushion.
Lift the seat cushion cover and foam to access the 4 seat cushion to frame attaching bolts.
Remove the seat cushion to frame attaching bolts.
Cut the tie straps mounting the lumbar pump pouch and reposition the pump and pouch up through the seat support wires.
Remove the memory seat control module from the seat.
Disconnect the seat belt harness rosebud clip (driver's seat).
Disconnect the electrical connectors.
Remove the seat. "

The intermittent, unpredictable movement of your memory seat is caused by a dirty potentiometer located in the seat motor.

This is the motor that moves the seat forward and backwards.
Normally, the fix is to replace the seat frame, since the motor is not available. Or you can repair it.

How to do it:
Remove the seat.

Unplug the wire connectors after you have removed the 4 retaining nuts. It makes it easier to unplug them.

Set the seat on the ground, tilt the seat back forward, and then tilt the entire seat back till the seat back is on the ground.
You now have clear access to the seat motor at the top
. Remove the two bolts located in the middle of the left (your left) seat track.

This allows you to move the seat track and gain access to the two screws that retain the 90 degree cable adaptor at the top of the track.
Remove them.
Unplug the small electrical connector to the black housing on the right side of the motor.

Slide the motor to the left, remove it and tilt it upwards.
You now have access to 3 small torx screws (#9) attaching the end plate cover to the
potentiometer housing, located on the right side of the motor

Remove the end plate.
Clean the circuit board and the tip of the contact spring located on the white gear that is still in the motor.
Reassemble. Install seat and reprogram seat memory.

Jimmy

Regular user
Either check with the DIC, code reader or OBD-II scanner and see if any error codes show
when pushing the switch to move seat backwards, listen to the door controller and see if that relay clicks

Being the other switches work, I still would raise the seat and tilt the seat up in the front to get better view of underside
to check wiring, connectors and if motor gear is jammed

View attachment 22530

If not being able to get to all 4 nuts holding the rail to the floor :

"If the power seat motor is inoperative and the adjuster nuts are not accessible, perform the following steps.
Power up and raise the front of the power seat to gain access to the forward motor bracket.
Reach under the seat and cut the tie strap attaching the front motor bracket to the torque tube.
Bend the bracket ends inward and slide the bracket off the adjuster transmissions.
Pull the forward motor cables from the adjusters.
Insert one end of a removed cable into a low speed drill and insert the other end into the adjuster.
With the low speed drill, move the adjuster forward, alternating sides, until the rear adjuster nuts are exposed."

Or option 2:

"If the seat adjuster is inoperative and the rear adjuster nuts are not accessible, perform the following steps:
Remove the recliner handle. Refer to Seat Back Recliner Handle Replacement - Front.
Remove the seat side trim panel.
Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Front Seat

Reach under the seat cushion and cut the seat cover tie string (1) at the front center of the seat cushion.
Lift the seat cushion cover and foam to access the 4 seat cushion to frame attaching bolts.
Remove the seat cushion to frame attaching bolts.
Cut the tie straps mounting the lumbar pump pouch and reposition the pump and pouch up through the seat support wires.
Remove the memory seat control module from the seat.
Disconnect the seat belt harness rosebud clip (driver's seat).
Disconnect the electrical connectors.
Remove the seat. "

The intermittent, unpredictable movement of your memory seat is caused by a dirty potentiometer located in the seat motor.

This is the motor that moves the seat forward and backwards.
Normally, the fix is to replace the seat frame, since the motor is not available. Or you can repair it.

How to do it:
Remove the seat.

Unplug the wire connectors after you have removed the 4 retaining nuts. It makes it easier to unplug them.

Set the seat on the ground, tilt the seat back forward, and then tilt the entire seat back till the seat back is on the ground.
You now have clear access to the seat motor at the top
. Remove the two bolts located in the middle of the left (your left) seat track.

This allows you to move the seat track and gain access to the two screws that retain the 90 degree cable adaptor at the top of the track.
Remove them.
Unplug the small electrical connector to the black housing on the right side of the motor.

Slide the motor to the left, remove it and tilt it upwards.
You now have access to 3 small torx screws (#9) attaching the end plate cover to the
potentiometer housing, located on the right side of the motor

Remove the end plate.
Clean the circuit board and the tip of the contact spring located on the white gear that is still in the motor.
Reassemble. Install seat and reprogram seat memory.
Thanks for all the info you posted,it must be an intermitent problem.I moved the corvette round to my garage ready to work on it,low and behold i tried the seat and it moved back.I wont be moving it again,i can concentrate on giving it a wash and polish in the morning.Happy days,cheers.