Gauge panel,

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all , can anyone tell me if the black trim panel that surrounds the gauges come off leaving every thing in place or come out with the gauges ?
I want to re paint the panel but not if major strip down is needed. It looks like clock knob may unscrew and a few screws around the panel. Any advice appreciated👍

antijam

CCCUK Member
You can leave the radio behind but the panel comes out with all the gauges attached. As you have seen there are four screws going into the side dash panels, one at the top into the top dash and there's also one holding the air vent just above the two upper gauges. If you're unlucky the nuts holding the gauge panel to the shift panel will still be in place giving you more hours of fun!

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
You can leave the radio behind but the panel comes out with all the gauges attached. As you have seen there are four screws going into the side dash panels, one at the top into the top dash and there's also one holding the air vent just above the two upper gauges. If you're unlucky the nuts holding the gauge panel to the shift panel will still be in place giving you more hours of fun!
Thanks antjam 👍

Nigel curry

CCCUK Member
Yes it is a bit fussy but well worth the effort,if a novice like me can do it anyone can and you can clean up all the bits that I know annoys all of us.It may take a while and a bit of patience but it really is straight forward and besides the guys on this forum Are always here to help,as they are constantly doing for me
Nige

antijam

CCCUK Member
My instrument panel has been in and out a few times now ( and needs to come out again to replace the ammeter I managed to bugg*r up on my last incursion) and if you do decide to have a go my experience suggests it's easier to remove - and certainly to refit - it in combination with shift console.

P1030319.JPG
This is because the two nuts on the studs (arrowed in the piccie below) holding the instrument panel to the shift console are practically impossible to access in situ.

Untitled-1.jpg

Note also that the panel casting is very weak at the sides just above the instruments and very easy to break if any force is applied to remove it - the typical fracture is shown on the left - indeed, it may already be broken; many are from previous ham-fisted removals and it's not always obvious at a casual glance.
Despite the hassle, a refurb of the instrument and shift panels is one of the easiest - and cheapest - ways to brighten up your interior.

P1370499.JPG

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
My instrument panel has been in and out a few times now ( and needs to come out again to replace the ammeter I managed to bugg*r up on my last incursion) and if you do decide to have a go my experience suggests it's easier to remove - and certainly to refit - it in combination with shift console.

View attachment 24752
This is because the two nuts on the studs (arrowed in the piccie below) holding the instrument panel to the shift console are practically impossible to access in situ.

View attachment 24753

Note also that the panel casting is very weak at the sides just above the instruments and very easy to break if any force is applied to remove it - the typical fracture is shown on the left - indeed, it may already be broken; many are from previous ham-fisted removals and it's not always obvious at a casual glance.
Despite the hassle, a refurb of the instrument and shift panels is one of the easiest - and cheapest - ways to brighten up your interior.

View attachment 24754
Thank you guys, do the gauges mount in the front panel or in the panel underneath? Does each gauge have to be removed from the panel. Probably one of those jobs that are not as bad as you think once you start! Thanks for the tips on weak soots and mounting studs . 👍

antijam

CCCUK Member
Once you've got the panel assembly out of the car, disassembly will be quite obvious It's worth stripping it down if only to clean the instrument 'glass' - it's surprising how dirty it can get over the years.

P1370372.JPG

Don't forget to replace the six 'sticks' shown at the bottom of the above shot . They're anti-rattle devices and if you forget them you'll have a dash noise that'll drive you mad!

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Once you've got the panel assembly out of the car, disassembly will be quite obvious It's worth stripping it down if only to clean the instrument 'glass' - it's surprising how dirty it can get over the years.

View attachment 24759

Don't forget to replace the six 'sticks' shown at the bottom of the above shot . They're anti-rattle devices and if you forget them you'll have a dash noise that'll drive you mad!
Wow ! Great pic antjam , you didnt have to go and pull it all to bits especially to show me Tho !! 🤣👍