Heat issue in the cockpit - How to stop the Heater

GiuG

CCCUK Member
Hey guys, here again, I'm trying to rich the bottom of this issue, the blower fun stop to run like crazy, but I still have heating coming from the vents. I suppose are not the hexhaust pipes, or at least not only that contribute in the this issue. I have lot of heating come from the top central unit ( gauge cluster ). Could be the heater shut off valve?! I'd like to resolve this problem before spring, but I need to understand what's going on first, now is already too hot in the cockpit. In general there is a way to stop the heater.... well heating?

Many thanks
Giu

Stingray

CCCUK Member
I don't know anything about your car but back in the day I had a heater problem with an old car. Moving the slider on the dash wouldn't change the heater setting.

Turned out there was a Bowden cable (stiff inner cable in a flexible outer sleeve) which transmitted mechanical movement from the dash lever to the valve for the heater matrix. The valve itself was fine. I removed the cable, poured some oil down the outer sleeve and moved the inner core vigorously to free it up and release any dirt or corrosion. Refitted the cable and the heater control was back in action.

You can get the idea from this C3 video,

Roscobbc

Later C3's are a little bit more complicated in terms of simply 'isolating' the heater - early ones are simple enough. Just remove the heater flow and return pipes (from the water pump) where they fit on to the heater assembly - then (using suitable diameter tube etc connect both rubber rubes together) - or - remove heater flow and return pipes from water pump spigots and either use a 'U' shaped length of tubing connect the spigots together - or two short lengths of tubing with the ends blanked-off.
That will stop any heat being emitted from the heater core........if you still have heat coming in the car you'll need to make sure all air flow piping under the dashboard is properly connected (or even there).

GiuG

CCCUK Member
My corvette is 1975 so is an early version or late? :) So is a plumbing problem! After an inspection, on the passeger side I have 2 big hose close to the fenner, one of them has a shut off handle ( like a tap water handle ) I suppose it` s the one that goes into the heater assemply. What happen if I`m going to stop the flow? ( ok, maybe I don't have the heating any more, but the water does not come back to the engine either, right? Is safe to try this move? By the way Problem Solver Garage is one of my favourite chanel!!

johng

CCCUK Member
If the valve is on the heater hose, then there's no problem in turning it off. Would be best if you post a photo so we can see where it is.

GiuG

CCCUK Member
If the valve is on the heater hose, then there's no problem in turning it off. Would be best if you post a photo so we can see where it is.
It seems to me I don't have the heat shut off valve, or maybe I can't find it. this is the tap on the hose that goes into the heat unit maybe is that one I need to close..
WaterIntoHeating.jpg

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Looking at that photo, and to paraphrase Darth Vader, "the bodge is strong with this one".

I don't know about C3 plumbing but am wondering whether that domestic stop valve is intended to be the heater control. (?)

Roscobbc

I have a lever type 'gas valve' on the flow side on mine - the fact that hot water is circulating through the heater core even in summer is the reason. It does help a little with some of the cabin heat issues in summer........but none of those 'issues' really have anything to do with the heating system.

GiuG

CCCUK Member
I have a lever type 'gas valve' on the flow side on mine - the fact that hot water is circulating through the heater core even in summer is the reason. It does help a little with some of the cabin heat issues in summer........but none of those 'issues' really have anything to do with the heating system.
So, I should close that stop valve to reduce the heating in the cockpit? cause now is already july for me in the car!!!! Apparently I don't have a shut off valve activate by vacuum, is safe for the car close that water valve in the engine bay?

Last edited:

GiuG

CCCUK Member
Thanks guys!!!!
It worked, fan works and no extra heating come inside any more, also I put a new rubber seal around the hood edge to be sure!!!

Last edited: