Hurst pit pak query.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all , anyone on here fitted either nylon or steel bushes and clips to their muncie shift rods.? Any views on which to go for , nylon for less vibration through the shift lever or steel for more precise shift.
I am working on curing vibrations and have had a pit pack of steel bushings and clips since I got the 72. I dont even know whether I have steel or nylon in at the moment until I put her up in the air again. Any thoughts or experiences /advice welcome. đź‘ŤTiA

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
I used the nylon bushes supplied in the kit when I fitted my Hurst shifter last year.
The steel bushes are supposed to be an upgrade, but only in so far as they wouldn't break-up after years of use/ thousands of gear changes.
I really don’t think the nylon bushes would offer any vibration absorption tbh - they’re tiny and rigid nylon.
With the frame of the Hurst shifter bolted straight onto the back of the gearbox, any vibration will get transmitted directly into the gearstick anyway. More so than the stock shifter that bolts to the chassis.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I used the nylon bushes supplied in the kit when I fitted my Hurst shifter last year.
The steel bushes are supposed to be an upgrade, but only in so far as they wouldn't break-up after years of use/ thousands of gear changes.
I really don’t think the nylon bushes would offer any vibration absorption tbh - they’re tiny and rigid nylon.
With the frame of the Hurst shifter bolted straight onto the back of the gearbox, any vibration will get transmitted directly into the gearstick anyway. More so than the stock shifter that bolts to the chassis.
Thanks forrest I need to see what I have , I took the gater out when I first got the car and greased up all the shifter mechanism, maybe time for another look now I can get under the car easily. I read this eve that one guy filed down his nylon bushes so they were just a washer and used these together with the new steel bushes to make the rods a bit tighter and less rattly .

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks forrest I need to see what I have , I took the gater out when I first got the car and greased up all the shifter mechanism, maybe time for another look now I can get under the car easily. I read this eve that one guy filed down his nylon bushes so they were just a washer and used these together with the new steel bushes to make the rods a bit tighter and less rattly .
Funny you mention that - I made an alteration in that area too after one of the Hurst supplied locking pins decided to eject itself when I was driving, and causing the rod to fall off. Beware of those curly shaped pins (not sure what they’re called) I don’t trust them in that application now. Or maybe these were bad pins.
I used the nylon bush but added a thin steel washer then a split pin instead of the “curly” pin. The washer was intended to keep the arm off the split pin rather than for eliminating any rattle.

Last edited: