Motor Electrician Recommendations

Blondie69

CCCUK Member
Good morning all,
Can anyone in the Essex / Suffolk region recommend a knowledgeable car electrician for our treasured Corvettes? I am probably being over cautious but I want to find someone that has knowledge about the cars rather than asking me " what does that do"?? 😆. Doesn't give me any assurance that my currently running car may become a non- runner if they fiddle with something....
Any recommendations gratefully appreciated 👍😁

Blondie69

CCCUK Member
What's the problem with it that it requires an auto electrian ?
The lights that light up the dash panel, interior, reverse light and the water temperature dial. Small things maybe but want it all to be working. 😊. Plus to have a general overall and highlight things for me - as it's all new to me.

Roscobbc

Barb, dashboard lights, interior lights, reverse light and water temperature guage etc inoperative are generally indicative of a previous owner who perhaps only used the car in daytime hours......or simply didn't keep up with maintenance?
Interior lights, 'if' blown bulbs are a fiddly job made worse by difficult access requiring most of the dashboard to be partly removed. Additionally made worse by electrical wiring that has 'age' hardened and 'set' over the last 50 odd years and plastics on the dashboard, bulbholders and the printed circuit board that has perhaps degraded too.
If 'all' dash light are inoperative perhaps initially suspect the main light switch and possibly a damaged rheostat/potentiometer that dims the lights.
Interior light, reverse light obviously could be failed bulbs - reverse light could be disconnected cable of the gearbox switch. If somone has converted the original reverse lights to use as rear indicators.......that'll be your answer!
Temp guage could simply be a failed sensor mounted generally on drivers side cylinder head or inlet manifold.
If you have a few dash bulbs to replace - perhaps consider LED's - far less electrical loading (good for the car) and brighter illumination.
All the above should (certainly initially) be within the capabilities of a 'weekend' mechanic!

Last edited:

Blondie69

CCCUK Member
Barb, dashboard lights, interior lights, reverse light and water temperature guage etc inoperative are generally indicative of a previous owner who perhaps only used the car in daytime hours......or simply didn't keep up with maintenance?
Interior lights, 'if' blown bulbs are a fiddly job made worse by difficult access requiring most of the dashboard to be partly removed. Additionally made worse by electrical wiring that has 'age' hardened and 'set' over the last 50 odd years and plastics on the dashboard, bulbholders and the printed circuit board that has perhaps degraded too.
If 'all' dash light are inoperative perhaps initially suspect the main light switch and possibly a damaged rheostat/potentiometer that dims the lights.
Interior light, reverse light obviously could be failed bulbs - reverse light could be disconnected cable of the gearbox switch. If somone has converted the original reverse lights to to rear indicators.......that'll be your answer!
Temp guage could simply be a failed sensor mounted generally on drivers side cylinder head or inlet manifold.
If you have a few dash bulbs to replace - perhaps consider LED's - far less electrical loading (good for the car) and brighter illumination.
All the above should (certainly initially) be within the capabilities of a 'weekend' mechanic!
Many thanks Ross. I will be getting my manual out and looking at all the points you raised.
Thankfully the previous owner has given me many Corvette books including a Haynes. 😆.
Thank you 👍

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Or as I found out when my C3 was delivered to me - the green (only) wire to the sensor had just fallen off the sensor. Plug it back in and it all worked fine.