New Paint spray

Paul Benton

CCCUK Member
If anyone has had a recent respray of a C3 what level of pricing has been quoted as I am looking to have mine painted after a refurb is completed at the end of the year and wanted to have an indication of what to expect?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
If anyone has had a recent respray of a C3 what level of pricing has been quoted as I am looking to have mine painted after a refurb is completed at the end of the year and wanted to have an indication of what to expect?
Someone mentioned 17k at mech spray , vastly experienced in painting vettes so you know it isnt going to have any issues. A friend of mine had a lotus esprit done in cornwall for under 6k “mates rates” it is jumping out and bubbling off in several places, it had already been back to have the roof panel done once and it is still lifting . The previous painter had it for a year and gave it backed part stripped part sanded and part primed. The second guy said he would strip to bare gel , then back tracked once he started and said it didnt all need stripping , now he is left with all these adhesion issues or should I say lack of. There are no short cuts when it comes to refinishing fibreglass cars, even more so, 40/50 year old ones .
Gavin roe has lots painted I believe, so he may give you an idea what you should expect to pay. 👍

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Wow, £17k for a repaint. Just wouldn’t make sense spending that on 74 and up C3’s . Possible exceptions 1974 454ci cars especially convertibles.
That would also apply to the majority of C4’s except for Callaway or ZR1 models.

Custom exotics

Well-known user
Wow, £17k for a repaint. Just wouldn’t make sense spending that on 74 and up C3’s . Possible exceptions 1974 454ci cars especially convertibles.
That would also apply to the majority of C4’s except for Callaway or ZR1 models.
I suppose what does and doesn't make sense is up to what the customer wants like mentioned above you could spend £6k on a paint job and be back to it wanting another paint job in 2 yrs you can spend £12-15k or more and have a job that still looks amazing in 15-20 years time. We also offer a lot of guarantees with our work ! We will only take on full jobs if you want that guarantee ie we do all the prep and prime etc . We are back open now at our new workshop still based in the Harlow Essex area and contactable on 07915387879 or email customexotics@hotmail.co.uk or our insta page feel free to contact us even if it's for advice
Regards Scott

Custom exotics

Well-known user
Again depends on what exactly your after but as a rough guide at today's prices paint and materials are likely to cost you around £2500 -£3000 but bare in mind some paints (Nissan skyline or tvr colours can be £1200 a litre and you need minium of 5 ltr for coverage on full repaints so you can see where some jobs can sky rocket in prices . We base our pricing on a final price and not an hourly rate so basically if we spend 300 hrs on it or 400 hr it's still the same price .... we have even been known to drop the final price if it went a lot smoother than expected I don't think we have ever phoned a customer to say sorry price is going up !!! We also don't charge any upfront costs unless it's to cover preorder of parts we have seen to many people coming to us after other company's have started a job billing large sums upfront only to turn out absolute rubbish . Give us a call if you want to discuss ur job in more detail

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Wow. Painting prices sure have become come pricey 😂 .
I remember a firm called Texon at Stamford Hill north London. They painted a 1974 Z28 Camaro we had in 1978. Looked absolutely beautiful in yellow. Whether they done a better job on it “because it was a yank” I don’t know.
Best £99.00 I’ve ever spent.

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
The very first time I took my 1960 out after being painted I got a large chip on the front panel just by the badge. I was absolutely gutted.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
How things change
Started in the 1930s there was a company, Earl Scheib
They had 250 auto paint shops all over the USA

Full paint job in the 1960s was $25 and in their last year 2010 being in business for 75 years was $399 for full paint job

The company was founded in 1937 by its namesake, Earl A. Scheib who opened the first Earl Scheib Paint and Body in Los Angeles. Scheib decided to paint a few cars in his gas station’s garage during the evening hours when the station was closed.
What began as a small, after-hours endeavor soon blossomed, and Scheib could not keep up with demand.

Scheib was the first to introduce production painting of automobiles in the United States.
Offering low prices of $29.95 for sedans and $24.95 for coupes, Scheib seriously undercut competitors’ prices, which generally ran a few hundred dollars for a complete job.
Because of the rock-bottom prices, customers rushed to Scheib’s shop, reportedly causing traffic snarls that required assistance from the police. Open daily, Scheib and his ten employees painted between 150 and 210 cars per week during the early years.