New tyre suggestions for 1996 C4 LT4

SearchShane

CCCUK Member
I currently got Eagle F1 285/35R18 on the front and 285/35ZR18 on the rear.

Currently looking for a new set of tyres ready for the season as the burnouts of last season kinda finished off my tyres.

Looking at getting Michelin Pilot Super Sport for the rear and Pilot Sport 3's for the front. But they are very pricey, and wondering if they are worth the high price, or if there are any other recommended high quality tyres that would be worth looking at instead.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
How come you list all 4 with the same size, including larger 18" wheels ?

Last edited:

SearchShane

CCCUK Member
How come you list all 4 with the same size, including larger 18" wheels ?
Sorry, What do you mean? Im not sure what the question is?

If you mean why I seperated the front and rear eventhough they are same size, its because the fronts are R18 and backs ZR18, both 18" but not sure if ZR and R difference is relevant. To my understanding they are only Weight category differences?

Roscobbc

Plenty of options if you want 'Y' 186 mph rating........perhaps its load rating that you need to 'drill down' into?

SearchShane

CCCUK Member
I asked that being the sizes you listed are not stock in wheel size and width
Here are multi tires in that size, some as low as like $350 each like Bridgestone
All 4 could be Z or ZR rated if you choose

Ahh yes, this is true, I got the car with these wheel sizes on and im not too sure on how easy it is to put on different ones. Also do not want to purchase extra Rims for now so sticking with the 18"s.

Im buying in Sweden and currently have these options: Däck 285/35R18 - Köp dina däck billigt online hos oss - Däck365

Will the performance, durability or any other important part be exponentially better on the Michelin Pilot Sport 3 (costing 3502SEK) compared to the Bridgestone Potenza Sports(Costing only 2492SEK)?

SearchShane

CCCUK Member
Plenty of options if you want 'Y' 186 mph rating........perhaps its load rating that you need to 'drill down' into?
Currently got 97Y, I am sticking with the Y rating, but wondering if there is a huge difference in performance, etc... between a Michelin Pilot Sport 3 vs a Bridgestone Potenza Sport?? they are the best part of 100 quid difference each.

Roscobbc

Currently got 97Y, I am sticking with the Y rating, but wondering if there is a huge difference in performance, etc... between a Michelin Pilot Sport 3 vs a Bridgestone Potenza Sport?? they are the best part of 100 quid difference each.
There will be others on here that perhaps will have suggestions - I have Toyo Proxes 285 40 18 Y or Z on the rear of my C3. That size is getting rarer and more expensive now and I'll probably have to shift to a 275 size in future.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor

If you're not driving over 149 MPH than Y rated is OK and lowered priced
where Z or ZR rating allows for 189 MPH plus

SearchShane

CCCUK Member
There will be others on here that perhaps will have suggestions - I have Toyo Proxes 285 40 18 Y or Z on the rear of my C3. That size is getting rarer and more expensive now and I'll probably have to shift to a 275 size in future.
can you get 275 size without new rims? Probably a dumb question but im genuinely clueless, lol.

Roscobbc

can you get 275 size without new rims? Probably a dumb question but im genuinely clueless, lol.
Most wheel rims have a small degree tolerance re. rim size vs tyre width. It will make a very small difference in tyre diameter/rolling circumferencer The difference in width between 275 and 285mm is a mere 10mm - fractionally smaller in diameter too.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Being 18-inch wheel and tires now used was not stock

He should do a testdrive with like a GPS or a cellphone APP that shows MPH and compare what it says
to what the speedo gauge does and if not matching will need to replace either the inner or outer gears
coming off speedo cable to tranny

SearchShane

CCCUK Member
Being 18-inch wheel and tires now used was not stock

He should do a testdrive with like a GPS or a cellphone APP that shows MPH and compare what it says
to what the speedo gauge does and if not matching will need to replace either the inner or outer gears
coming off speedo cable to tranny
The current tyres show exact mileage correctly as displayed on GPS. The speedometer is perfectly right. 👌

Stingray

CCCUK Member
I've never regretted paying the £££ for Michelin tyres. Nothing wrong with Goodyear Eagle F1 either.

If reducing the speed rating from standard spec' you might need to let your insurers know.