Oil Pan drain plug

Blondie69

CCCUK Member
Good afternoon
It's me again 😆. Quick question - can someone tell me if the oil Pan drain plug should have a little screw that comes off and is loose? It is slightly magnetic but not very strong and I'm not sure I want that coming loose and going back into the engine.
Thank you in advance of your help.
Changing the oil considering it's not been done for a while.
Picture attached.IMG_20231126_152843_258.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
That looks weird. The drain plugs I've seen simply have a longer unthreaded (but magnetised) end to them. Perhaps you one has a glued-on magnet that has simply become unglued?

I agree, no way would that be a GM part
Looks like that weak magnet was glued on and lucky it did not somehow get caught on the inlet of the oil pump

oildrainplug.jpg258.jpg

On another note of objects getting stuck on the inlet and doing engine damage
I had a tuning customer who had a shop install a CAM on a C6
That shop was like 200 miles from where the C6 owner lives

He went to pick up car as shop said it was ready
He got about 50 miles into the drive home and the engine started crapping out
He had to tow the C6 all the way back home
He brought C6 to me thinking PCM needing tuning for the mods, but I saw low oi pressure

What happened is crappy shop had dropped one of the lifters into the oi pan
he thought he could do a lazy fix by dropping a string with a magnet at the end of it
Instead, the string broke, leaving the string to get sucked into the inlet of the oil pump

Had to jack engine up some to get oil pan out and retrieve the string and lifter :-(

Also with that CAM grind with narrow LSA lost vacuum at low end effecting startup and idle
Shop instead of fixing with tune drilled a damn hole in the butterfly of throttlebody causing even worse PCM running problems :(

Blondie69

CCCUK Member
Thank you for your comments.
Didn't think it should be like that. This is a car that just keeps giving 😆. Loving the adventure 😄.
Ordering a new one tomorrow from US Automotives.
Thank you 👍

Roscobbc

Thank you for your comments.
Didn't think it should be like that. This is a car that just keeps giving 😆. Loving the adventure 😄.
Ordering a new one tomorrow from US Automotives.
Thank you 👍
BTW those washers are unforgiving in terms of use - the material is very hard and if used sucessively will often only seal if overtighted (at the risk of stripping thread in the oil pan. I always have a reel of the ultra-thin plumbers PTFE tape in my tool box. Roll five or six turns tightly arourd the threads in a clockwise direction (same direction as thread so it doesn't unravel when tightening)

Stingray

CCCUK Member
he thought he could do a lazy fix by dropping a string with a magnet at the end of it
Instead, the string broke, leaving the string to get sucked into the inlet of the oil pump

Had to jack engine up some to get oil pan out and retrieve the string and lifter :-:)(

As I've always suspected, you're hangin' with the wrong people!
To paraphrase Star Wars, "the bodge is strong with this one".

Mind you, have I committed the cardinal sin of reusing a copper sump plug washer? Answers on a post-card please....

Blondie69

CCCUK Member
I agree, no way would that be a GM part
Looks like that weak magnet was glued on and lucky it did not somehow get caught on the inlet of the oil pump

View attachment 24848View attachment 24849

On another note of objects getting stuck on the inlet and doing engine damage
I had a tuning customer who had a shop install a CAM on a C6
That shop was like 200 miles from where the C6 owner lives

He went to pick up car as shop said it was ready
He got about 50 miles into the drive home and the engine started crapping out
He had to tow the C6 all the way back home
He brought C6 to me thinking PCM needing tuning for the mods, but I saw low oi pressure

What happened is crappy shop had dropped one of the lifters into the oi pan

Had to jack engine up some to get oil pan out and retrieve the string and lifter :-(

Also with that CAM grind with narrow LSA lost vacuum at low end effecting startup and idle
Shop instead of fixing with tune drilled a damn hole in the butterfly of throttlebody causing even worse PCM running problems :(
What is the sizing for a 69 427 oil drain plug? The ratchet was a 20 inch but not sure if that correlated to the sizing. US Automotives are not sure when I called. Thank you 👍

Roscobbc

What is the sizing for a 69 427 oil drain plug? The ratchet was a 20 inch but not sure if that correlated to the sizing. US Automotives are not sure when I called. Thank you 👍
Perhaps you are confusing metric 20mm socket/spanner sizing with imperial/SAE sizes. Can't recall exactly but perhaps 7/8" AF (maybe 1 or 1 1/8" AF) - fairly standard sizing for yanks of the period. Thread itself will be something else.