Please Be Careful Out There!

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
This is an update on this crash with more info
A Florida driver has miraculously survived a horror crash after an alleged high-speed drag race went wrong.

The 38-year-old driver was thrown out of his white Chevrolet Corvette after he smashed into a utility pole and a tree at 8am on Saturday in Marion County, leaving just the car's two seats intact from the wreckage.

He was taken to hospital, where he is in serious condition. Florida Highway Patrol officers claim he was racing with another man, driving a Ford Mustang, near State Road 200 and South West 80th Street in Ocala.
One of the vehicles cut the other off and a third car, with two elderly people in it, struck the Corvette, which sent it spiraling off the road.
There were no other injuries in the crash.

Authorities are searching for the driver of the Mustang, who is accused of being part of the race.
He allegedly parked his car and checked on the driver who was hurt before leaving the scene.
The driver of the Corvette, who was not wearing a seatbelt, was thrown out of the car following the high-speed impact with the utility pole and tree.

Pictures released by the Marion County Fire Rescue show different parts of the vehicle, including the wheels, engine and roof, widely scattered across the grass.
How many other car designs would take this crash force and still not kill the driver, even when he was not wearing a seatbelt ?

crash.jpg
The only thing left intact was the car's two red leather seats, and the highway was temporarily closed due to the downed pole.

'A third car came into play when one of the vehicles, the Mustang or the Corvette, cut the other one off,' a Florida Highway Patrol spokesman said.
'The driver of that vehicle, of the Corvette, was not wearing a seatbelt, and by the grace of God, survived the crash.'

The man driving the Mustang allegedly parked his car at a nearby business and got out to check on the driver, who was injured.
He is accused of leaving the scene and police have shared pictures of him wearing a pink shirt and gray shorts.
'He has definitely pushed his troubles a lot further along than what they would have been,' a Florida Highway Patrol spokesman.

'[We] definitely got some good photos of his arm with some significant tattoos on him," Riordan said.
"We believe that the public probably knows who this guy is.'
The Mustang he was driving is said to be a new model from 2020 to 2023 and silver with tinted windows.

He has been described as a 'heavy-set white male with arm tattoos' who appeared to be bald underneath his cap.
Charges are pending for the injured driver of the Corvette.
Drag racing has become an issue in the area according to authorities who said 'these types of incidents have increased over the last five or six years'.

The Florida Highway Patrol has issued 1,834 citations for street racing or stunt driving so far this year.
This has more than doubled since 2018.
Those caught taking part could be charged with first-degree misdemeanors.

Roscobbc

Its all too easy to comment with comments like "we never see anything as extreme as this happen in the UK".........not so unfortunately........its just that many serious collisions only ever make local press unless the is an 'angle' that national press and tv will pick-up on. For example the 4 teenagers on a camping holiday reported missing by parents......found yesterday in a Ford Fiesta, having seemingly come off the road in a treacherous area and discovered upturned in standing water or a river......all four lads unfortunately dead.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Its all too easy to comment with comments like "we never see anything as extreme as this happen in the UK".........not so unfortunately........its just that many serious collisions only ever make local press unless the is an 'angle' that national press and tv will pick-up on. For example the 4 teenagers on a camping holiday reported missing by parents......found yesterday in a Ford Fiesta, having seemingly come off the road in a treacherous area and discovered upturned in standing water or a river......all four lads unfortunately dead.
I know that road and the whole area well having driven it many times over the years when camping and climbing in Snowdonia or Eryri as it should be correctly known . This was a terrible tragedy and I cannot begin to think what their parents go through for the rest of their lives . Such a waste of young lives but unfortunately it is no doubt due to the sum of young inexperienced drivers plus poor weather and road conditions plus the lack of awareness and driving skills . My heart go outs to the families .

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Have to wonder what the rolling mass to velocity there was to hit a wood pole and the Vette splitting into 4 parts
to where the frame and even drive tube with driveshaft buts apart
Shows having 2 gas tanks buried in corners prevented any gas fires

Had to be moving like a :

USA.jpg

Roscobbc

Anyone who has been involved in a head-on collision will only then perhaps understand the extreme kinetic energy envolved in road collisions.
Some years ago I had another car turn right and pull directly across my path not giving me a chance to react. I had been travelling at 30 mph (or slightly less) and didn't have the time to react and apply the brakes or swerve. Air bags didn't go off - trigger point was 20 mph.....so perhaps impact was less than 20 mph?.
Other driver was a minicab operator, no seat belt worn and 'nutted' his windscreen, 'star' cracking it and injuring his head. Both myself and my wife were belted. Both of us suffered aches and pains from the selt belts for days afterwards, my wife had a couple of cracked ribs.
I had bruises to the forward surfaces of my legs where they were involuntarily flung forward against the underside of the dash and parcel tray. The steel framed glasses I was wearing remained on my face but the outside of the frames were bent forward from the impact.
The cars boot was full of product samples which bent the rear hatchback seatbacks forward, fortunately still retaining everything except for a large map on the rear shelf. This flew forward, but luckily went between us and harmlessly hit the front windscreen. All of the trim on the sunroof above us all came off and ended-up on the front dash.
The car was a mid 90's UK built Honda Civic 4 door. All doors still opened but off-side front wheel was jammed against front floor. Only 3 months old but clearly a 'write-off'.
Reading this one might wonder why I writing all about this? - the reason? - to indicate how most of us totally under estimate the forces involved in a road collision. Whilst seat belts will certainly help you (and remembering that the belts will keep your body in place).......but they don't keep your internal organs in place.......these will still be accelerating forward at the point of impact until finally 'restrained', either by colliding with other organs, your ribcage or simply 'stretching-out' the specifics organs major blood vessels and perhaps rupturing them (with catastrophic results).

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I fully understand the head on collision too Rossbbc. Many years back at night I had a drunk lorry driver drive down the dual carriageway the wrong way and he was out to claim the "head on bonus". Unfortunately for me, I encountered him on a blind corner at the top of a hill, so didn't see him until the last minute. Yes, there were headlights lights, but as I've done that road many times I just assumed it was the headlights of cars coming up over the hill from the other side of the dual carriageway.

As you can imagine, a 1993 Pug 205 GTi didn't come off too well against a lorry head-on - especially as he kept on going, pushing me out of the way and onwards down the dually. Thankfully after meeting me on a corner, he was then on a 3 lane straight (up the hill) and then reducing to 2 lanes at the bottom and it was straight for ages. So everyone else could see him coming a mile off.

I still have lasting injuries from that, despite it being 11 years ago now. The main issue is my right wrist as it got twisted and mangled around the steering wheel. Thankfully the rest was minor and soon got ok. Does amuse other blokes though when I say I have a weak right wrist and can't use it too much :ROFLMAO: