Wheel lug alignment pins

Vet68

CCCUK Member
Hi there. I took the wheels off of my Grand Sport last year. They are huge and it can be awkward to take them off and put them on again without catching the brake disc or calipers.

A solution I see are wheel alignment pins. So, you remove the top two wheel nuts after lifting the car, screw the pins onto the hub, through the wheel. Then when you are ready, remove the other wheel nuts and slide the wheel carefully off. Putting the wheels back is reverse, all done without wheel versus brake contact.

I searched for such pins in the UK but could not find any. The majority are make ended, when the Corvette C6 and C7 need female, and probably too short to be of use at around 15cm.

I'm thinking of getting a local CNC company to machine some to my design, so they fit the hubs correctly and are long enough. I would go for stainless steel.

I was wondering if anyone knows of suitable pins that may be available in the UK (you can buy such pins from ACS in the USA but they are £80 before shipping and taxes)?

Alternatively, is there interest from the Corvette community if I get a batch made up?

I know there may be other solutions that people use, like wrapping the caliper and disc with cloths)... but that is not the question I am asking here.

Just want to make our lives a little easier with a quality product, designed to do a particular job, and made by a UK company.

With thanks.
Bryan

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
An example from Amazon in USA
Look then at the UK Amazon website

Make sure you get the correct size and thread pitch

Wheel Alignment Pin, M12 x 1.5 Female Thread Pilot Guide Lug Bolt Tool​

Vet68

CCCUK Member
Thanks. Saw those but they are only 13cm long. Given the rear wheels on a GS or Z06 are 335, ACS make pins that are 20cm long. Really need long pins for wide wheels.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
These are the ones I use for my C5 with 10 inch wide fronts and 12 inch rears
130 mm long, (5 inch long)

They only have 2 left, looks like in Canada ? $27 Each

These

Look like This 3-piece set of 200mm (7.87-inch) long hangers
3-piece set $80

You need to check if the C7 also uses as C5 of M12x1.5

Vet68

CCCUK Member
Thanks. That is interesting. These back up my research that it is difficult to find pins like these in the UK. I will need to check the thread as you say.

I could 3D print a prototype for length and shape, then get it made by CNC. Naturally, cost per unit drops the more that are made. This forum is probably not likely to attract wide attention though.

Thanks for the replies.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
If I was to buy these again, I would go with the 8-inch ones due to my 12-inch wide rear wheels
The 5-inch ones I have are fine with the fronts of 10-inch wide but for rears and how heavy they are
would be better if the wheel was a bit further outward to line the stud bolts to the hangers

If you're making these, you need to assure the threaded end is not larger than the size of the holes of the rims
WheelHangers.jpg

Vet68

CCCUK Member
Thanks for feedback. That is really good. Yes, definitely must ensure the stud end will fit through the wheel hole. I thought of that but good to be reminded by someone with practical experience. I note that some pins have a knurled end to finger tighten them. Others may have a hex end so could be tightened by socket (but not overly as that would strain the pin).

A long pin needs to be strong too, to take wheel and tyre weight. ACS sell pins in pairs. May be better to use 3 rather than 2 to split the weight further.

I'm thinking of 3D printing a prototype first. Clearly it won't take any weight, but would check shape and length with a wheel before committing to machine some up.

Many thanks.
Bryan

Vet68

CCCUK Member
Yes. Plenty of those around on the market, and with different threads. All short again.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
One thought is not too make them too long as it becomes like when reason in needing a breaker bar
As heavy as the tires/wheels like I use, the further out the hanger is, the more downward force is on
the threads for only the 2 hangers installed on hub
Cannot recall but think my rears are like 70 pounds each

Vet68

CCCUK Member
Yes. Absolutely right. Thought the same. Too much leverage force the further out the wheel is. My calculation is that the max diameter is 15mm, and within that needs a 10mm hole threaded. That's only a 2.5mm thickness to play with. I have been measuring and designing tonight!

Corvetteville

CCCUK Member
Could you use a wheel carrier dolly as used in garages. Set the car/ dolly at the correct height for removal/ installation.

Last edited: