Winter blues

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi All and a happy new corvette year.
Since the rain finally stopped, and the roads dried, I planned a little blast, Unfortunately, the temperature dropped and the council decided to chuck yons of salt around and messed up my plan. So the 72 is sat having not been run for 3 weeks, in folks opinion's , is it best to just turn her over to keep things moving and get some oil pressure but not pumping the holley so she doesnt start, Or fire her up stick her outside and warm her up for 15 mins , I know that doesnt get her to operating temp but if the mufflers stop steaming there shouldnt be too much condensation ? I dont want to risk the salty roads. 👍
Thoughts please, ps) I did read in a gm book that idling for long periods without driving can cause overheating issues. 🤔

Roscobbc

Since the rain finally stopped, and the roads dried, I planned a little blast, Unfortunately, the temperature dropped and the council decided to chuck yons of salt around and messed up my plan. So the 72 is sat having not been run for 3 weeks, in folks opinion's , is it best to just turn her over to keep things moving and get some oil pressure but not pumping the holley so she doesnt start, Or fire her up stick her outside and warm her up for 15 mins , I know that doesnt get her to operating temp but if the mufflers stop steaming there shouldnt be too much condensation ? I dont want to risk the salty roads. 👍
Thoughts please, ps) I did read in a gm book that idling for long periods without driving can cause overheating issues. 🤔
Wouldn't run it up for just 15 minutes - if you're gonna do it it really needs half an hour out on the road to warm everything through - not just the engine and cooling system, but transmission, power steering, brakes, suspension. Even after half an hours running exhaust system may still retain some moisure and combustion 'nastys' that will promote internal corrosion of exhaust (unless you have stainless system)

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Wouldn't run it up for just 15 minutes - if you're gonna do it it really needs half an hour out on the road to warm everything through - not just the engine and cooling system, but transmission, power steering, brakes, suspension. Even after half an hours running exhaust system may still retain some moisure and combustion 'nastys' that will promote internal corrosion of exhaust (unless you have stainless system)
I will wait til the salt has gone then, it used to stand for a few months during the buffalo ny winters when it was in the US. May just spin it over with no-fuel then put her back on the trickle charger. 👍

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
GM is against doing long idles in cold weather, say more harm than good and of course amount of idle exhaust put out
Surprised your greenie king who burns tons of fuel for all this travels and heating all his castles has not made it illegal to do long idles

To really heat up all oils and fluids, I do in doing car relearns when tuning and needing drive time is block front wheels
Jack ass end up some and drive the car, works just fine

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I will wait til the salt has gone then, it used to stand for a few months during the buffalo ny winters when it was in the US. May just spin it over with no-fuel then put her back on the trickle charger.

GM is against doing long idles in cold weather, say more harm than good and of course amount of idle exhaust put out
Surprised your greenie king who burns tons of fuel for all this travels and heating all his castles has not made it illegal to do long idles

To really heat up all oils and fluids, I do in doing car relearns when tuning and needing drive time is block front wheels
Jack ass end up some and drive the car, works just fine
😵‍💫😱imagine if it dropped off the jacks tho 😬🤣

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Every three or four weeks during long periods of non use I just crank it over without firing up for a while when oil pressure gets to 40 psi . I also pump the brakes hard several times to keep pistons and seals moving . I also over inflate the tyres and move the car back and forth so it never stands on the same spot too long to help prevent flat spotting. It is also hooked up to a battery conditioner so cranking over is not a problem . All this is on my `must do` list over the next few days. .

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I have done this many times over the years and never been a problem
Have even done it at a dealer on a lift

Ever watch the pro drag racers do this on jack stands
Yeah , but still a bit scary innit ? :eek: Like when my mate is working on the race cars where I store my Corvette . Watching an historic Formula 2 car or the Spice Group C car screaming away on axle stands is bit scary even though you know it ain`t going anywhere ( hopefully !! ) Even more so when I get asked to squeeze in the cockpit and do gear shifts whilst Pete does some fine adjustments !