4/21/24 WEC for FIA World Endurance Championship’s Six Hours of Imola.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Corvette Racing and TF Sport write their next chapter together this weekend as the team and its pair of Chevy Corvette Z06 GT3.Rs travel to Italy for the FIA World Endurance Championship’s Six Hours of Imola.

The goal this time around for TF Sport and Chevrolet is to earn more points in the LM GT3 Drivers, Manufacturers and Teams championship standings. Both the No. 81 and No. 82 Corvettes came away from the season-opening event in Qatar with points and positives to take into the Italian round.

Tom Van Rompuy earned himself and his teammates one point with a pole-position run at Qatar and will continue teaming with Rui Andrade and Corvette factory driver Charlie Eastwood in the No. 81 Corvette primarily yellow with black accents.
The reverse colors are present on the No. 82 Z06 GT3.R with the trio of Hiro Koizumi, Sebastien Baud and Corvette factory pilot Daniel Juncadella together again after a 10th-place finish in Qatar – netting two valuable championship points, as well.

The second round of the championship is at a new venue for the Corvette brand, but not for TF Sport. Already, the team has undertaken a robust testing program at the 3.05-mile, 19-turn circuit in which the two Corvette Z06 GT3.Rs recorded more than 3,000 kilometers.
TF Sport has raced just once at Monza but it was a stellar outing a 1-2 finish in the European Le Mans Series’ GTE class and the LMP2 Pro-Am victory in 2022.

In addition, Corvette Racing has tasted success in Italy during the last two FIA WEC seasons: it won the GTE Pro class at Monza in 2022 with the Corvette C8.R, and the team wrapped up the GTE Am Drivers and Teams titles in 2023 also at Monza.

The FIA WEC’s Six Hours of Imola Prologue is set for 1 p.m. Central European Time / 7 a.m. Eastern Time on Sunday, April 21. MotorTrend and MotorTrend Plus will provide both live television and streaming coverage of the race and Friday’s qualifying, as will the FIA WEC app and the MAX app in the U.S. Radio Le Mans will stream audio coverage of the race plus Friday’s final practice and qualifying.

CHARLIE EASTWOOD, NO. 81 TF SPORT CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 GT3.R:

“I feel everyone is thinking the same thing in that it will be a super-tough race with traffic.
As we know, Imola has the characteristics of one of the more old-school European tracks.
With that, it makes passing between GT3 and Hypercar very difficult. We were testing at Imola a few weeks ago in the Corvette, and the delta of lap time between GT3 and Hypercar was significantly smaller than most circuits.

The main reason for this is that at Imola in the GT3 cars, you can take a lot of curbs. There has been a completely new profile of the curbing around most of the circuit so that the GT3s can get right on top of the curbs, which the Corvette was handling very well at the test but the Hypercars cannot; they have to drive around them.
So the laptime delta is going to be very small, and I feel they are going to struggle to pass the GT cars very easily.
So you’re going to see a lot of aggression into braking zones and things like that. It’s going to be an interesting race and hard to know how it’s fully going to pan out. But it will be action-packed and with a chance of some collisions between cars in different classes.

“I have raced at Imola in LMP2. That in itself was very difficult with the traffic. If anything, the Hypercars may struggle even more, as they are a heavier car and can’t take the curbs as much as the P2s. We might find that some Hypercars may be stuck behind GT3s for half a lap or maybe a third of a lap, which is a significant lap time loss for those guys.”

DANI JUNCADELLA, NO. 82 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 GT3.R:

“I did a race in 2022 with GT World Challenge at Imola where I finished second.
It’s a pretty cool track, to be fair, with not much rest between corners; there aren’t many long straights, so there is a lot of activity in your driving.
The Corvette felt pretty good at the test. It was a positive session, and it was positive because my teammates did pretty well.
Both Seb and Hiroshi especially Hiro. He found a lot of speed during the two days, which is very encouraging.
As I’ve said before, our result in the end ultimately depends a lot on their performance.
They were both impressive, which is encouraging as a sort of driver coach.

“An interesting feature about Imola is that at most of the corners, there are very high curbs. It’s a quite unique driving style because you need to use as much as you can from the curbs.
But on the other hand, it’s difficult to set up the cars to ride those curbs properly. In the test, we could see that it was quite upsetting when you were beating those big curbs. But there is a way to go through to maximize the car balance and performance.
“there is Also the atmosphere around the corner where Aryton Senna crashed. There is a statue of him, a lot of flowers and a lot of memories.
It’s always special to be in such an environment. You can feel that vibe around the track.”

SEBASTIEN BAUD, NO. 82 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 GT3.R:

“I am very much looking forward to participating in this second round of the World Endurance Championship. We have had good preparation with the team and my teammates. And above all, a good analysis of our performances after the first round in Qatar. I am very determined for this six-hour race and also to demonstrate the full potential of the Corvette Z06 GT3.R. Imola is going to be a tricky race with traffic. You will have to remain very attentive, while being quick.”

CORVETTE RACING BY THE NUMBERS: Imola

• 2: Starts for Corvette Racing in Italy – both at Monza in WEC (2022, 2023)
• 3: Corvette Z06 GT3.Rs in competition this weekend No. 13 of AWA at Long Beach, No. 81 and No. 82 of TF Sport at Imola
• 4: Generations of Corvette ZR1 (C3, C4, C6 and C7). The eighth-generation Corvette ZR1 will be revealed this summer
• 14: Manufacturer Championships for Chevrolet and Corvette Racing since 2001
• 19: Number of street circuit victories for Corvette Racing – more than any other IMSA entrant at the circuit.
• 27: Tracks at which Corvette Racing has won races – Baltimore, Charlotte Motor Speedway, COTA, Canadian Tire Motorsport Park/Mosport, Daytona, Detroit, Houston, Laguna Seca, Le Mans, Lime Rock, Long Beach, Miami, Mid-Ohio, Monza, Portimão, Portland, Road America, Road Atlanta, Sebring, Sonoma, St. Petersburg, Texas, Trois Rivieres, Utah, VIR, Washington DC and Watkins Glen

• 45: Number of drivers in Corvette Racing entries since 1999. Rui Andrade, Sebastien Baud, Hiroshi Koizumi and Tom Van Rompuy joined the list at Qatar to open the WEC season
• 71: Years since Corvette was introduced to the world on Jan. 17, 1953 in New York City. A total of 300 cars were produced that year
• 127: Victories worldwide for Corvette Racing – 115 in North America, nine at Le Mans and three in the FIA WEC
• 287: Event starts by Corvette Racing since 1999
• 4,225.27: Number of racing miles completed by Corvette Racing in its 15 previous trips to Long Beach. That represents 2,147 laps around the 1.968-mile street circuit.
• 371,612.71: Total number of racing miles completed by Corvette Racing entries since 1999. To put that in perspective, Corvette Racing is more than halfway to the distance traveled by Apollo 13 the longest manned spaceflight in history: 622,268 miles
Corvette Racing in Italy (wins in bold)

No. 64 Corvette C8.R: Tommy Milner/Nick Tandy (Monza) – 1st in GTE Pro
No. 33 Corvette C8.R: Nicky Catsburg/Ben Keating/Nico Varrone (Monza) – 4th in GTE Am (clinched GTE Am championship)

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Round two of the FIA WEC the 6 Hours of Imola gets underway later this week (19-21 April) as the series makes its debut at the iconic Autodromo Internazionale Enzo and Dino Ferrari in the Emilia-Romagna region of northern Italy.

Despite never hosting a round of the WEC, Imola is no stranger to endurance racing exactly 50 years ago, in 1974, it staged the 1000 km of Imola. Then from 2013 to 2016, and in 2022, the circuit hosted a round of the European Le Mans Series which will return this July.

With 14 manufacturers (Alpine, Aston Martin, BMW, Cadillac, Corvette, Ferrari, Ford, Isotta Fraschini, Lamborghini, Lexus, McLaren, Peugeot, Porsche and Toyota), 37 cars (19 Hypercars ; 18 LMGT3 entries) and a star-studded entry list consisting of 110 drivers from 28 different countries, the WEC is truly experiencing a new golden era. Imola will also mark the first event for the all-new 2024 9X8 Hypercar from Peugeot TotalEnergies with radical aerodynamic upgrades including a rear wing and different tyre widths.

The entry list for Imola features several Italian teams and drivers for the home fans to support including last year’s 24 Hours of Le Mans winners Ferrari as well as new-for-2024 entries Lamborghini and Isotta Fraschini.
A total of 12 Italian drivers will compete at their home race including Antonio Giovinazzi (Ferrari AF Corse), Antonio Fuoco (Ferrari AF Corse), Mirko Bortolotti (Lamborghini Iron Lynx), Alessandro Pier Guidi (Ferrari AF Corse) and Edoardo Mortara (Lamborghini Iron Lynx).
There will also be great anticipation for home hero and multiple MotoGP World Champion Valentino Rossi, who is making his WEC debut this season in a BMW M4 LMGT3 with Team WRT.

Round two of this year’s WEC sees two changes to the entry list since the curtain-raiser in Qatar last month. The No. 2 Cadillac will feature just two drivers for the Italian race, with Britain’s Alex Lynn and New Zealand’s Earl Bamber confirmed to drive the Cadillac V-Series R Hypercar challenger.

Secondly, Alpine Endurance Team sees the team’s reserve driver Jules Gounon step in for regular driver Ferdinand Habsburg who was injured during a test at the end of last month. Frenchman Gounon will contest his first race behind the wheel of a prototype on a circuit he knows well, having scored a podium finish there in GT World Challenge Europe in 2022.

During each tour of the 4.9km Imola circuit, Hypercar drivers reach top speeds in the range of 312kph and travel with a fully-opened throttle for 50% of the lap.

The anti-clockwise circuit is characterised by its unique old-school feel, and watching Hypercars around the 4.909-kilometre layout will be a sight to remember. Furthermore, Imola being anti-clockwise is one of three anti-clockwise circuits on the 2024 WEC calendar, with the other two being Interlagos in Sao Paulo (Brazil) and COTA (USA).

During last month’s Qatar Airways Qatar 1812km, Porsche was victorious in both Hypercar and LMGT3. However, with the strength of this year’s grid, there will be no shortage of contenders looking to dethrone the German manufacturer in Imola. Indeed, with a very different circuit layout, a six-hour race opposed to the season-opening ten hours and a narrow circuit making overtaking difficult, the scene is set for a thrilling race!

WHERE TO WATCH

Several broadcasters across the world will broadcast the FIA WEC this weekend, including a mix of pan-regional deals and various FTA, linear and online channels.

FIAWEC.TV will also broadcast Imola live on its online platform. This is available worldwide. Individual race packages are available to buy for 8.99 Euros or fans. Available on the app will be qualifying, race replays and full English commentary from experts Anthony Davidson, Martin Haven, Graham Goodwin as well as pitlane reporter, Louise Beckett. For more information about the app, click HERE.

Action from Free Practice 3 on Saturday (20 April) will be live to watch on the FIA WEC YouTube channel.

To view the full entry list, click HERE.

WEC 6 Hours of Imola Race Timetable

Friday 19 April

Free Practice 1: 12:00 – 13:30

Free Practice 2: 17:15 – 18:45

Saturday 20 April

Free Practice 3: 11:10 – 12:10

Qualifying + Hyperpole: 14:45 – 15:55

Sunday 21 April

Race: 13:00 – 19:00

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
First practice completed

LMGT3

UK's TF Sport place 1-2 in GT3 as the No.82 Corvette Z06 LMGT3.R leads sister No.81 car.
Daniel Juncadella and Charlie Eastwood set times of 1m 1m42.113s and 1m42.719s respectively

Hometown heroes Vista AF Corse Ferrari take third position as Davide Rigon peaks with a 1m42.971s lap in one of the two Ferrari 296 GT3 cars in the 18 car GT3 field
Team WRT place fourth as Maxime Martin sets the fastest lap for the No.46 BMW M4 he shares with Ahmed Al Harthy and local legend Valentino Rossi.

No.55 Vista AF Corse Ferrari of Simon Mann, Francois Heriau and Alessio Rovera sits fifth as Rovera claims best time of 1m43.088s
Rounding out the top six is the second of the Team WRT BMW M4’s with Augusto Farfus lapping just 0.025s off Rovera’s time

The Fastest Porsche in the GT3 field is the Manthey EMA entered 911 RSR GT3 with young Dutch talent Morris Schuring setting the best lap for seventh in the final timing classifications

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
In LMGT3 there are 18 cars for this class,
TF Sport once again took the headlines with Charlie Eastwood setting a 1m41.986s in the No. 81 Corvette Z06 LMGT3.R.
It would be the only time under 1m42s in the class for the day.

This time though it was not a 1-2 for the GM brand, as the No. 55 Vista AF Corse 488 LMGT3 ended up second, lapping faster than the No. 82 TF Sport Corvette which slotted in third. Heart of Racing was fourth, with the No. 54 AF Corse Ferrari fifth.

It was a troubled session for United Autosports
Its No. 59 McLaren GT3 EVO finished the day at the bottom of the times after suffering an oil leak which limited the car to just eight laps in the session.

The only disruption to the session came when Takeshi Kimura suffered an off at Tosa aboard the No. 87 Akkodis ASP Lexus RC F GT3 a little before the halfway point, which triggered a brief full-course yellow.

Track action continues for the WEC teams tomorrow with Free Practice 3 at 11:10am local time.

wecp2.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
IMOLA, Italy (April 20, 2024) TF Sport and its two Corvette Z06 GT3.Rs will have to race their way through the LMGT3 field following Saturday’s due to a crappy qualifying session ahead of the Six Hours of Imola for the World Endurance Championship.

Tom Van Rompuy led the TF Sport qualifying results with the 11th-fastest class time in the No. 81 Corvette that he will share with Rui Andrade and Corvette factory driver Charlie Eastwood.
Van Rompuy’s best lap of 1:43.897 (105.695 mph) was less 0.2 seconds from making the 10-car Hyperpole session to set the first five rows of the grid. He was the pole-winner for the season-opening race in Qatar.
Teammate Hiroshi Koizumi will start the No. 82 Corvette Z06 GT3.R directly behind Van Rompuy in 13th after his best lap of 1:44.108 (105.509 mph). He will drive with Sebastien Baud and factory driver Daniel Juncadella the trio having finished 10th after 10 hours at Qatar.

TF Sport tested at Imola in the weeks leading up to this weekend’s event at the 3.05-mile, 19-turn circuit. The Corvettes were 1-2 in Friday’s two practice sessions, but changing temperatures and track conditions Saturday swung the momentum away from the TF Sport entries.

The FIA WEC’s Six Hours of Imola is set for 1 p.m. Central European Time / 7 a.m. Eastern Time on Sunday, April 21. MotorTrend and MotorTrend Plus will provide both live television and streaming coverage of the race, as will the FIA WEC app and the MAX app in the U.S.
Radio Le Mans will stream audio coverage of the race.

TOM VAN ROMPUY, NO. 81 TF SPORT CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 GT3.R – QUALIFIED 11TH IN LMGT3:

“This weekend, we didn’t have the package to go for pole. But let’s hope we can have a package for good race pace.
It’s a bit of the opposite from last time (Qatar) where we had good qualifying pace but not such a good race pace and some technical issues.
We have done quite a bit of work with some small changes or updates from Qatar.

One is working better than the other, but we need to keep putting some work on it.
For now, we are missing a bit of top speed, but we will do the best we can as drivers and as a team to make a good effort and try to put a good result together.”

“Yesterday was amazing. We came here testing and hit the ground running pretty nice.
We’re working through a few things on our end, so maybe it looked slightly better on paper than it really was.
Final practice was a little struggle, but as a team we are learning this new Corvette with every session.

The track changed quite a bit today, with a lot more rubber down and temperatures increased. We’re adapting with that.
Once we start to do more running and get a better picture, we’ll be able to adapt having that experience in this scenario again for the races later in the year.
There are a few bits to work on for the long stuff, but there is still a lot to play for.”

RUI ANDRADE, NO. 81 TF SPORT CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 GT3.R:

“There have been some ups and downs. Yesterday we were quite strong, and I think today we took a slight step back with the balance.
Besides that, I think we have a strong car, and we showed it all day long Friday. I think we have a good package for the race after our testing here.
It’s only the second race of the season and the second race for the team with this car, so we are finding things all the time. If we put everything together, we can have a strong race.”

HIROSHI KOIZUMI, NO. 82 CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 GT3.R – QUALIFIED 13TH IN LMGT3:

“The feeling of the car isn’t that bad at all. I couldn’t quite get my best lap in during qualifying. But I’m not giving up for the race and I’ll try to get the best position I can in the race. Rather than the car being one that can put in one really fast lap, it’s a car that has good pace over a longer run, so I think we can have a good finishing position tomorrow.”

“Today was a bit harder. We’re still sorting out some little hiccups here and there. We’re working on the driveability of the engine and still developing further things.
Furthermore, we’re getting close to the limits of the power levels. We are still learning. It’s been a difficult weekend for sure because with the curb striking and so on, the torque is very inconsistent, but that is the same for everybody. Other than that, everything else feels great.
The car balance is very good in the corners and the Corvette is very nice to drive.”

“It was a good couple of free practices yesterday. I drove a lot and we all improved.
I’m happy because the car is very good, and the setup is good for this track. This is my first race in Europe for the WEC, and I really like this track.
There are a lot of sponsors and partners here with me. On the track, it’s very difficult because we have a lot of traffic for a track as short as Imola.

For the race, it will be very important to be careful in the traffic with both Hypercars and the LMGT3 cars. The car is very good and very fast.
The goal for the race is a top-five and I hope the podium.”

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Race is completed
Scoring results shows the 2 Z06 GT3.Rs from the British TF Sport finishing with 7th and 8th place finishes and not on the lead lap

In the LMGT3 class, Team WRT put on a strategic masterclass in the changing conditions to deliver a one-two finish with its pair of BMW M4 GT3s.

The pole-winning No. 92 Manthey PureRxcing Porsche 911 GT3 R looked to be in a strong position to repeat its dominant Qatar victory early in the race, but the team erred by bringing in Klaus Bachler for wet tires in the worst of the rain.

While the track was wet enough to force the entire Hypercar field to change on to wet tires, only a handful of cars in the LMGT3 field did so, with the two TF Sport Corvette Z06 GT3.Rs and the No. 55 AF Corse Ferrari 296 GT3 among the other teams to do so.

On the other hand, WRT kept both its cars out on slicks for the duration, which turned the battle for class honors into a two-way fight between the respective pro drivers in each of its cars, Augusto Farfus in the No. 31 car and Maxime Martin in the No. 46 car.

Ultimately, a drive-through penalty for the No. 46 car for not respecting the virtual safety car procedures opened the way for Farfus, Sean Gelael and Darren Leung to take a straightforward victory by 22 seconds over Martin, Valentino Rossi and Ahmad Al Harthy.

The No. 92 Manthey Porsche of Alex Malykhin, Joel Sturm and Klaus Bachler was third, having later switched back to slicks, a lap down on the BMWs.

Completing the top five were the No. 55 Ferrari of Alessio Rovera, Francois Heriau and Simon Mann and the No. 27 Heart of Racing Aston Martin Vantage GT3 Evo of Ian James, Daniel Mancinelli and Alex Riberas.

wecfinish.jpg

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
TF Sport’s two Z06 GT3.Rs finished in points-paying positions Sunday with seventh and eighth-place LMTGT3 finishes in the FIA World Endurance Championship’s Six Hours of Imola.

It marked the second race in the FIA WEC for the first-year Corvette GT3 car and first trip to Imola for the Corvette program. In the end, the results were positive: TF Sport was one of two teams in the class to have both its cars finish in the top10, and Chevy was one of two manufacturers to have multiple entries finish eighth or better.

Charlie Eastwood, Tom Van Rompuy and Rui Andrade led the way for TF Sport with a seventh-place finish in the No. 81 Corvette Z06 GT3.R, one spot ahead of the No. 82 Corvette of Daniel Juncadella, Hiro Koizumi and Sebastien Baud.

The race featured seven full-course yellow periods, including two in the opening 40 minutes, and two safety car periods.
There was chaos at the start, with Van Rompuy getting the better of it by gaining four spots in his first two laps.
He and Koizumi, who ran as high as ninth after starting 13th, drove nearly two hours at the start to firmly put both Corvettes inside the top 10 and eligible for points.

Andrade and Baud were up next, although they had the worst of changing weather conditions just past the halfway point. Both kept their Z06 GT3.Rs on track throughout their stints in the challenging conditions other teams weren’t as fortunate before TF Sport elected to be the first LMGT3 team to opt for wet-weather tires. The team made the switch with two hours to go as Eastwood and Juncadella got in their respective Corvettes.

Unfortunately, the high level of grip in the track meant lap times didn’t significantly differ between those cars that changed to wet tires and those who stayed on warm slick tires.
The two Corvettes switched back to dry tires just outside the final hour, but race traffic and a still-wet surface made the challenging for the top-five too much to overcome.

TF Sport’s next race in the FIA WEC is the Six Hours of Spa on Saturday, May 11.

“It was a very interesting race. Weather played a massive role in it. The TF guys did a great job in making the right calls.
The track has such high grip that even when the guys were on slicks, they were still able to generate a lot of grip and temperature when we were on the wets.
It balanced out basically the same, although I probably had a nicer experience than they did.
All in all, P7 in the end. Not what we want, but it was a pretty solid race on our side. We know what we need to get closer to the front.”

TOM VAN ROMPUY, NO. 81 TF SPORT CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 GT3.R:

“It was quite a hectic start to the race.
A couple of GTs touched each other, but I managed to surf through all the dangers and pick up three positions on the first lap
On the second lap, I think I found another position. We had an excellent first and second stint with no issues.
I really also tried to pay attention to track limits and tried to save a bit on the car in case we needed to fight later on. So we have a wonderful feeling.”

RUI ANDRADE, NO. 81 TF SPORT CHEVROLET CORVETTE Z06 GT3.R:

“It was definitely difficult to the end. As a driver getting out soon, you have to give the team good information. It was so difficult because half the track was completely wet and half the track was completely dry. Those were very stressful last few moments in trying to decide what was the right tire to be on.
We decided to go on wets, but it was definitely tricky either way.”

“It was a bit of a wild race for sure. It’s a shame. We were looking very strong in the mixed conditions when the track was very difficult. I made up a lot of ground. We gambled on the strategy with an hour to go because we saw a car in the gravel and I pitted with 57 minutes left, and normally a stint is 45 minutes. So I had to cruise to the end and saved a lot of fuel to make it to the finish.
It didn’t pay off this time, but it was good fun out there in these conditions. I enjoyed it and enjoyed driving the Corvette again.”

“It was a crazy race. Our start with Hiro wasn’t too bad, and we ran in the top-10.
I felt really good in the first stint, and I was happy with the car because I was fast. In my second stint, I was on the same tires with a full tank. It was much more difficult to push, and I lost a little more time compared to my first stint.
The feeling was very different because the car wasn’t the same driving with a full tank. Toward the end, we had a lot of rain in the last two corners, but the first sector was dry. I had a little spin in the safety car queue but did not lose anything.
But still, it is not a mistake a good driver should make. I will continue to work with my engineer and my teammates to continue improving for the next race.”