68 Aficionados please

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
My Buddy Cordite Man, a fellow Member not often on here is re-building a 68 Vert - The body is off, the Chassis is good and he has his old 454 ready to go with a M22 (the 454 which was already quick has now been breathed on somewhat)
I would like to compile a list for him of all the one year only parts for a 68 to help him on his way.
Please help with the list - I will start it off with my vast knowledge:

Doors

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Off the top of my head and I may be wrong

Door cards
Outer door locks
Outer door handle
Front grilles
Steering box (might be used on C2 also not sure)
Steering column
Drivers dash panel
Passenger dash panel
Ignition switch
Rear valance
Reversing lights

There’s also stuff that’s 68-69 only.

Roscobbc

For starters Barry!
Reversing lights - '68 only
Rear lights (all 4 same as side/brake)
Removeable rear window catches - early '68 - mid '68 - late '68/early '69
Centre console has seat belt buckle 'holes' (poss '69 too)
No map pockets in passenger dash
Moulded seat backs - early '68 (low release catch) - late '68/early '69 (mid mounted catch)
Steering column - only option was 'tele' - no tilt in '68 - ignition key on dash
Steering wheel - same as '67 - stupid 17" I think - damages ones 'manhood'
Hidden difference - dash supports (under dashboard)
BB radiator same as - '67
No expansion tank on some - '68 Vettes
Chassis frame lacks triangulated supports adjacent to rear wheel openings (standard '69 onwards)
Front grille brackets to front bulkhead are - '68 only
Fuel filter mounted on engine block of BB cars - '68 only (I think)
I believe front wheel spindles may be - '67/'68 only
Door handle/door locks - '68 only
Window felts - '68 only
Door cards - '68 only
Carpet type - '68 only
Seat material (basketweave) - '68 only
Road wheels 7" wide - '68 only (later cars 8")

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Also, the brake light switch (under the pedal) is 1968 only, as I found out when getting mine sorted.

And not that it matters to your mate, but the 327 small block was 1968 only as well.

Corvette

Well-known user
Come on you ‘68 one year only’ boys. There’s over 50 parts on the list. An obvious one is white front side marker lights. Smooth texture on the black gauge console. Adjuster nut thread for wiper door canister. Early 68 used 65/6/7 small bearing front spindles but later 68 spindles used small bearing but with 69 on larger bolts for steering knuckles. Plastic accelerator mount to floor. Keep going...
Most corvettes have at least one one year only part. Oh and two f’s in your title Barry!

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Come on you ‘68 one year only’ boys.

Oh and two f’s in your title Barry!

Frank I no my spilleng is rubish

I have sent an email off to Merriam and to the compositors of both the Oxford and Cambridge Dictionaries advising them of their error

You owe me some cake!

Aficionado | Definition of Aficionado by Merriam-Webster
www.merriam-webster.com › dictionary › aficionado

Aficionado
definition is - a person who likes, knows about, and appreciates a usually fervently pursued interest or activity : devotee. How to use aficionado in a ...

AFICIONADO | meaning in the Cambridge English Dictionary
dictionary.cambridge.org › dictionary › aficionado

24 Nov 2020 — Examples of aficionado. aficionado. The term pinzhong serves as an index for many aficionados, as a pointer to the cricket's appearance, unique ...

Aficionado | Definition of Aficionado by Oxford Dictionary on ...
www.lexico.com › definition › aficionado

Last edited:

Daytona Vette

Well-known user
Thank you to all you Aficionados of the 68 and thank you also on behalf of my Buddy Cordite Man whom I was going to give a cut and paste list of your items, but instead I shall just copy a link to this thread letting him witness the contributors and your enjoyment.

Whilst the Body is off the "Chassis frame lacks triangulated supports adjacent to rear wheel openings" looks a good point to make some changes.

Thank you to all

Roscobbc

Thank you to all you Aficionados of the 68 and thank you also on behalf of my Buddy Cordite Man whom I was going to give a cut and paste list of your items, but instead I shall just copy a link to this thread letting him witness the contributors and your enjoyment.

Whilst the Body is off the "Chassis frame lacks triangulated supports adjacent to rear wheel openings" looks a good point to make some changes.

Thank you to all
I wonder if the chassis changes really make any difference - can't say I've noticed any real issues in terms of frame flex......