Air Filter Housing

Kevpix

CCCUK Member
Hi Guys. I need some advice regarding my air filter housing. I have an Edelbrock carb on my SB 1970 C3 and I think it has the wrong filter housing. Part of the underside of the housing has been panel bashed (1) to clear part of the carb assy (2). Also the housing doesn't sit on the carb properly as can be seen by the marks on the gasket (3). Refer to yellow arrows on the attached two photos. Is it the wrong housing and if so, what should I be looking for?

Attachments

• C3 Carb.jpg
    C3 Carb.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 20
  • Air Filter Housing.jpg
    Air Filter Housing.jpg
    280.8 KB · Views: 19

Roscobbc

I wouldn't swear by it but it looks as though you have a 'drop down' filter base suitable for both Rochester and Holly carbs. They are as deep as you can go - required due to some of the hood heights vs raised carb mounting base typical with aftermarket inlet manifolds. They have two 'notches' to clear the float adjusters on Holly carbs.
Had similar issues with my car (but for different reasons). My solution was to buy a complete Edelbrock air filter, junk the top and air filter element and use just the filter base which sits higher on the carb than the OEM part and may clear the obstructions on yours.
I replaced the 3" air filter element with a 2" replacement as the whole assembly now sat too high for the underside of the hood to clear. I then used a K & N 'filter' top to make-up for any reduction in air movement the 2" filter may have caused. Doubt if you will need to go that far.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I also have a drop base on my Edelbrock with dual plane manifold. Needed it for hood clearance. My drop base has been "modified" so it clears the union where the fuel pipe attaches to the carb. So if I took the filter lid and filter off the carb, the base section would look naff. But it does work fine.