All C7s - loose or bad small battery ground wire

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
This bulletin applies to all C7 Corvette vehicles.
While the vehicle may be in your shop for any number of reasons, if DTC B1517 is found set in any module, or even multiple modules,
first inspect the battery cable connections.

In many cases, the small black wire that connects to the larger battery negative cable may be loose or damaged.

If the vehicle history is reviewed, or if the customer is questioned, it will usually be found that a battery was recently replaced.
This may have been done by a technician (or owner) who was unfamiliar with the vehicle.

The small black wire may be loose, rotated or pulled out of the terminal.
Any loose connection or damage to this circuit may cause a B1517, especially with symptom 5A.

C7negbatterywire.jpg

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Having previously replaced my C7 battery I can tell you it's an absolute PITA. Nothing like the old days when you just whipped off a couple of clamps and were away and laughing.

That small black wire is just one of many complications although, being moderately careful, I managed to avoid breaking anything - including my fingers. The wire originates from a different place than the main black cable and simply isn't long enough to allow sensible access.

Crazy pig of a job.

Here's a video with the small black wire at about 1 minute and 5 minutes,
Note: This guy failed to undo the "L-bracket" at the red terminal, which is why he ended up having to bend things around.