"Barn Find" '91 C4 ZR1 on Ebay

Roscobbc

C4’s really are a LOT of car for very reasonable money nowadays. The best of the bunch is the ZR1 or a Callaway.
Out of the 2 I would prefer a Callaway. I’m too fussy tho and would want the aerobody on it. What has always stopped me from getting one is the manual transmission. I did miss out on a aero bodied convertible with the very rare automatic transmission last year in Colorado. I hesitated and missed it.
100% with you re. an Aerobody and auto trans. The Doug Nash manual on the earlier car was a bit quirky. The experience in the Callaway was similar to my L36 C3 drive.....except where the big block ran out of breath the Callaway would just keep going.....and going with that characteristic old fashioned boiling kettle sound emanating from under the hood!

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
100% with you re. an Aerobody and auto trans. The Doug Nash manual was a bit quirky. The experience in the Callaway was similar to my L36 C3 drive.....except where the big block ran out of breath the Callaway would just keep going.....and going with that characteristic old fashioned boiling kettle sound emanating from under the hood!
Got hooked on the Aerobody after Brian Neighbour had it fitted to his black coupe. It totally transformed the car.

Llewelyn

Well-known user
Hi guys
I bought it ! :) I will keep you all posted and will be doing a YouTube series on it….! Won’t post my YouTube channel link on here so I don’t upset anyone but happy to private message it

Deal with very attractive for me and the seller, all will be revealed in my collection video and I’m excited to be embarking on this no doubt challenging project!

Thanks!

Llewelyn

Well-known user
Nobody is going to object if you post a link to your YouTube channel Llewellyn 👍
I think we all look forward to seeing how you bring this potentially great car back from the brink!
Good luck. 😁
Thanks!! Here’s the channel, new video on the manual C5 coming soon and as soon as I’ve taken delivery of the ZR-1 there will be plenty of videos documenting all of my progress! Make sure you hit subscribe and press the bell icon so you get an alert when I upload ! 😄 (seriously the support helps, I am a tiiiiinnyy channel!!)

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Some things you might need looking at if no engine start or runs badly

I numbered these

1. below ECM is an exposed fuse panel, tends to get water on it and the fuse panel and wiring connectors get corroded
2. this is 1 of 2 MAP sensors, this one is used by the ECM when to go into full power mode
3. This is the ECM, check wiring pins being clean
4. Looks like a wire loom cover, this is not normal and reason it was done ?
5. This is the MAP sensor ECM uses for engine functioning. Well known problem is to back of engine is a small short vacuum hose
that connects to MAP sensor, hose goes bad and falls off, replace hose and assure on tight
6. Being the oil filter mounted upside down, the filter is special as it has a check valve ball, this is to prevent oil to drain out when engine is off
That oil is needed for engine startup, so do not use a filter that is not for the LT-5
7. Below the headlight area is a small electric pump, this is used to control all the secondaries under the intake manifold
Assure motor works and all hoses from it to intake are good and tight

Also make sure you get the valet key, this switch on dash is when you want full power or valet mode
If no key and in the off position, the ECM will never command full power or other 8 injectors coming on

I normally when others want I turn valet mode so always is in full power mode
Bottom side of ECM is a small plate, when taken off under it is a Memcal, which then an E-prom plugs in and that is where the
calibration is, I can custom tune that for best functioning and performance increases

s-l1600.jpg

Last triumph

Well-known user
Hi guys
I bought it ! :) I will keep you all posted and will be doing a YouTube series on it….! Won’t post my YouTube channel link on here so I don’t upset anyone but happy to private message it

Deal with very attractive for me and the seller, all will be revealed in my collection video and I’m excited to be embarking on this no doubt challenging project!

Thanks!
Nice one, congratulations!
Can't wait to watch the story unfold - I've subscribed!

Llewelyn

Well-known user
Some things you might need looking at if no engine start or runs badly

I numbered these

1. below ECM is an exposed fuse panel, tends to get water on it and the fuse panel and wiring connectors get corroded
2. this is 1 of 2 MAP sensors, this one is used by the ECM when to go into full power mode
3. This is the ECM, check wiring pins being clean
4. Looks like a wire loom cover, this is not normal and reason it was done ?
5. This is the MAP sensor ECM uses for engine functioning. Well known problem is to back of engine is a small short vacuum hose
that connects to MAP sensor, hose goes bad and falls off, replace hose and assure on tight
6. Being the oil filter mounted upside down, the filter is special as it has a check valve ball, this is to prevent oil to drain out when engine is off
That oil is needed for engine startup, so do not use a filter that is not for the LT-5
7. Below the headlight area is a small electric pump, this is used to control all the secondaries under the intake manifold
Assure motor works and all hoses from it to intake are good and tight

Also make sure you get the valet key, this switch on dash is when you want full power or valet mode
If no key and in the off position, the ECM will never command full power or other 8 injectors coming on

I normally when others want I turn valet mode so always is in full power mode
Bottom side of ECM is a small plate, when taken off under it is a Memcal, which then an E-prom plugs in and that is where the
calibration is, I can custom tune that for best functioning and performance increases
Hi JR - That is really helpful information!! Thank you so much for taking the time to help out with that! :)

CDC

Busy user
Hi guys

Thanks!
Hi Llewelyn. Well done and good luck. Happy to chat all things ZR1 that i've learnt since getting mine going if you want to bounce any ideas around, parts suppliers etc. I'm in Surbiton, Surrey, if it helps.

Cheers

Charlie

Llewelyn

Well-known user
Hi Llewelyn. Well done and good luck. Happy to chat all things ZR1 that i've learnt since getting mine going if you want to bounce any ideas around, parts suppliers etc. I'm in Surbiton, Surrey, if it helps.

Cheers

Charlie
Hi Charlie

Thanks for the offer - That sounds really helpful! Was yours a project as well?

CDC

Busy user
Hi Charlie

Thanks for the offer - That sounds really helpful! Was yours a project as well?
Yes a bit of a project. After a jump, it did start and run (just) when i bought it, but it wasn't usable. Yours looks worse than mine did i'm sorry to say! I'm on insta @green.zr1 if you are.

Llewelyn

Well-known user
Yes a bit of a project. After a jump, it did start and run (just) when i bought it, but it wasn't usable. Yours looks worse than mine did i'm sorry to say! I'm on insta @green.zr1 if you are.
I've just given you a follow! Love the colour scheme and tan leather ! Mmmm!

Llewelyn

Well-known user
Interestingly I've owned a 928 GT! I can't imagine it being anywhere near as fruity as a ZR-1 although it was a lovely car - Looking forward to reading the article!
I can still remember "back in the day" reading the "Car" magazine ZR1/Porshe 928GT road test comparison. ZR1 came out of that pretty well!