Better headlight options

Andy J

CCCUK Member
Im looking to upgrade my headlights on my 96 as theyre so bad theyre dangerous. Ive seen a few LED options and H4 units and im a bit bamboozled. Morimoto seem to get good reviews but im guessing all the options from all manufacturers will be for left hand dip. Can i get any light then get it adjusted to dip correctly or must i look for a UK dip unit?
I know when my 96 came to the UK it failed an MOT on incorrect headlight aim but its been ok since so there must be a range of adjustment.
It will just be nice to be able to drive in the dark!

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I fitted a set of H4 LED bulbs into my 1968 C3. Obviously for the C3 you need a "sealed beam H4 conversion lens thingy" as C3s didn't originally take H4 bulbs. The lights are much better in the dark now.

Problem is though, apparently if your car is newer than some year in the 80s, you can't just swap out the bulbs for LED bulbs as you need lenses suitable for LEDs etc. Which I find odd, as my FTO has "projector lenses" using 9005/9006 bulbs and they are RUBBISH at night time. So I worked with the people at Classic Car LEDs to trial their new 9005/9006 LED bulb they were prototyping up. The difference in my FTO is noticeable indeed, and is like a newer modern car in comparison (or any other car of any age that doesn't use 9005/9006 bulbs as their dipped beams). Definitely much better in the dark. Technically should now fail an MOT because of the legal rule of the 80s, but I'm not bothered - I prefer to see where I'm going in the dark.

As a side note, also watch out for some "cheaper" LEDs that when they get hot they cool themselves down by lowering the power to the bulb, and thus you get less light. I had a set of these off Ebay beforehand and I did wonder why the light output was pathetic at some times (worse than normal bulbs) and ok at other times.

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
I have an 86 C4 and like yourself the headlights are not great.
I know the early C4's were just 7.5" x 5.5" headlight units nothing special.
The same as pre 2001 Jeep Cherokee, I have had a set on back order for 18 months now from Powerful UK.
LEDs can't be retro fitted to vehicles made after March 86 unless the whole light assembly is changed but then it must meet all requirements of a modern LED light unit.

Either get new better LHD units and fit beam deflectors or look for RHD 7.5" x 5.5" units. (I believe Lucas do some).

Last edited:

Andy J

CCCUK Member
I think the headlight itself remained the same throughout the model. Being a sealed beam does limit options hugely or i would just start with better bulbs. I have seen aftermarket H4 units but again,they dip the wrong way.
The Morimoto is a whole replacement assembly with multiple LED lights rather than just a bulb in a non LED lens. Theres a website called vetlights in the US that has options for all models and years.
I may have to speak to my mot tester and see what they say. I would probably get them to align them to mot standard anyway.

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
I think the headlight itself remained the same throughout the model. Being a sealed beam does limit options hugely or i would just start with better bulbs. I have seen aftermarket H4 units but again,they dip the wrong way.
The Morimoto is a whole replacement assembly with multiple LED lights rather than just a bulb in a non LED lens. Theres a website called vetlights in the US that has options for all models and years.
I may have to speak to my mot tester and see what they say. I would probably get them to align them to mot standard anyway.
Here is a link to the MOT regulations so you can see what you can and can't do.

Andrew Gorrod

CCCUK Member
I fitted a set of H4 LED bulbs into my 1968 C3. Obviously for the C3 you need a "sealed beam H4 conversion lens thingy" as C3s didn't originally take H4 bulbs. The lights are much better in the dark now.

Problem is though, apparently if your car is newer than some year in the 80s, you can't just swap out the bulbs for LED bulbs as you need lenses suitable for LEDs etc. Which I find odd, as my FTO has "projector lenses" using 9005/9006 bulbs and they are RUBBISH at night time. So I worked with the people at Classic Car LEDs to trial their new 9005/9006 LED bulb they were prototyping up. The difference in my FTO is noticeable indeed, and is like a newer modern car in comparison (or any other car of any age that doesn't use 9005/9006 bulbs as their dipped beams). Definitely much better in the dark. Technically should now fail an MOT because of the legal rule of the 80s, but I'm not bothered - I prefer to see where I'm going in the dark.

As a side note, also watch out for some "cheaper" LEDs that when they get hot they cool themselves down by lowering the power to the bulb, and thus you get less light. I had a set of these off Ebay beforehand and I did wonder why the light output was pathetic at some times (worse than normal bulbs) and ok at other times.
What did you do with the Fibre Optics ?

Andy J

CCCUK Member
Here is a link to the MOT regulations so you can see what you can and can't do.
Reading that it says i can't put HID or LED bulbs in a halogen unit (which i already knew) but i can replace the entire assembly for HID or LED. This is exactly what i intend to do. A trip to my mot man is on the cards to confirm i think.

Roscobbc

Reading that it says i can't put HID or LED bulbs in a halogen unit (which i already knew) but i can replace the entire assembly for HID or LED. This is exactly what i intend to do. A trip to my mot man is on the cards to confirm i think.
LED and HID replacement bulbs will have differing focus characteristics to tungsten/halogen bulbs. Everyone seems to bang-on about Xenon bulbs being and alternative - most advertised are not replacements for tungsten/halgen bulbs and have a specific power source.......however there is a difference between these and Xenon 'filled' bulbs - which should be available for retro-fitting to a headlight reflector/bowl that originally used a tungsten or halogen fillen tungsten bulb.
Xenon HID Car Bulbs vs. Xenon Gas-Filled Car Bulbs | PowerBulbs UK
I fitted a set of new 5 3/4" non-sealed beam reflectors to my C3 many years ago and sourced a set of 50% brighter EU legal 'Xenon' filled bulbs. A little bit of trimming of the rubber bung that went in the back of the reflector was required but the cost was relatively inexpensive and the results were on par with the headlights on most modern cars (with no increase in power consumption) - things have moved on a little and brighter legal options are available......presumably available with suitable connectors for your vehicle. Halfords seen to keep many types) and there is CCCUK discount)

Andy J

CCCUK Member
LED and HID replacement bulbs will have differing focus characteristics to tungsten/halogen bulbs. Everyone seems to bang-on about Xenon bulbs being and alternative - most advertised are not replacements for tungsten/halgen bulbs and have a specific power source.......however there is a difference between these and Xenon 'filled' bulbs - which should be available for retro-fitting to a headlight reflector/bowl that originally used a tungsten or halogen fillen tungsten bulb.
Xenon HID Car Bulbs vs. Xenon Gas-Filled Car Bulbs | PowerBulbs UK
I fitted a set of new 5 3/4" non-sealed beam reflectors to my C3 many years ago and sourced a set of 50% brighter EU legal 'Xenon' filled bulbs. A little bit of trimming of the rubber bung that went in the back of the reflector was required but the cost was relatively inexpensive and the results were on par with the headlights on most modern cars (with no increase in power consumption) - things have moved on a little and brighter legal options are available......presumably available with suitable connectors for your vehicle. Halfords seen to keep many types) and there is CCCUK discount)
C4 is sealed beam so a replacement bulb isnt an option. I can get H4 units and any bulb i choose but if im buying new units i may as well consider specific led units too.

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
What did you do with the Fibre Optics ?
I can't really remember. But the same plug plugs onto the back of the LED bulbs in the C3 now. To be fair, I didn't worry too much about the Fibre Optics in my C3 - because none of them work. I suspect the previous owner in USA had removed them.

Steven Smith

CCCUK Member
Done a fair bit of research about swapping C4 headlight.
It seems Hella do a light that will fit a C4 that isn't sealed, giving the option to fit standard H4 bulbs.

There is a wealth if knowledge here.