C5 fog lights

I have just bought a C5 and was wondering about rear fog lights as it dose not seem to have them .so my questions
1 are they compulsory
2 do I have them and they just don’t work ( front ones do )
3 do you have to fit a separate light if you do have to have them
Thanks in advance Pete

Custom exotics

Well-known user
You should have a fog lamp for the mot the euro ones had 2 fitted into rear facia panel you could put a low underneath mounted one on if you want the euro c5 facia let me know we have a couple here and could do a deal for your US rear facia 01279 441133

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Assuming you have a US car with reversing lamps each side of the number plate some people choose to re-purpose the offside number plate lamp for rear fog - which is a neat solution, where possible.

Don't forget your rear fog must have an indicator lamp on the dash - most easily achieved with a switch that lights up when "on".

These days IVA rules on rear fog lamps are pretty strict and worth a careful read, but if you're only looking at MOT it's more relaxed.
Now, for IVA, the rear fog light must turn OFF and stay OFF when the headlamps are switched OFF. That's to say, if the headlamps are switched OFF then back ON again whilst the fog light switch remains in the ON position then the rear fog light must not turn back ON unless the driver specifically activates the rear fog light switch. This change was to prevent drivers accidentally leaving their rear fog light ON when not required e.g. the next day after making a journey in foggy weather. You can buy kits for this from people like Cartek.
The wiring security, lamp location and brightness rules are also more specific for IVA than MOT.

Blackzed

CCCUK Member
1. Yes
2. If you have an MOT, you should have them fitted. Is the car US spec or UK. US spec will have a clean
rear facia, the UK one will have two large red reflectors fitted into it, I don't think these light up.
3. Yes.

I fitted a small lamp under the rear fascia between the exhausts, but mine was UK spec and had the wiring there,
as per the photo of my C6 Z06, which has the same lamp fitted. 20160918_115837.jpg

Custom exotics

Well-known user
Assuming you have a US car with reversing lamps each side of the number plate some people choose to re-purpose the offside number plate lamp for rear fog - which is a neat solution, where possible.

Don't forget your rear fog must have an indicator lamp on the dash - most easily achieved with a switch that lights up when "on".

These days IVA rules on rear fog lamps are pretty strict and worth a careful read, but if you're only looking at MOT it's more relaxed.
Now, for IVA, the rear fog light must turn OFF and stay OFF when the headlamps are switched OFF. That's to say, if the headlamps are switched OFF then back ON again whilst the fog light switch remains in the ON position then the rear fog light must not turn back ON unless the driver specifically activates the rear fog light switch. This change was to prevent drivers accidentally leaving their rear fog light ON when not required e.g. the next day after making a journey in foggy weather. You can buy kits for this from people like Cartek.
The wiring security, lamp location and brightness rules are also more specific for IVA than MOT.
Pretty sure a c5 is going to be over 10yrs old now so won't need iva just MOT so the auto switch off kit is not really needed a normal illuminated when on toggle switch is fine for mot