C5 UK market question

Last triumph

Well-known user
Hi all,

I'm back in the market for another Corvette and would like to have a C5, with the non-negotiable it must be a 6 speed, no exceptions.

The US market gives plenty of insight thanks to a much larger data pool for analysis, however I'm not confident in assessing market values in the UK which appear to be all over place.

Couple of questions to the floor, which I accept are both highly subjective, but general conscientious would be useful.

1) Like for like, is there a price premium in the UK for a 6 speed over an auto, and if so, roughly to what extent?

2) How sensitive to high mileage are UK C5s? For example, would a car with over 100k miles (with strong history) be at a significant price penalty like for like compared to say a car with 60k miles for example, and again if so, to roughly what extent?

Totally get that opinions with vary, but it would still be helpful to gain some insight into how the UK market differs from the US.

Thanks in advance.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
If you haven't already seen/considered it, suggest you look at Derek's car (manual) before he puts it on Ebay. Mega amount of money spent on it. If I fancied a C5, I'd have it ASAP!

Last edited:

Last triumph

Well-known user
If you haven't already seen/considered it, suggest you look at Derek's car (manual) before he puts it on Ebay. Mega amount of money spent on it. If I fancied a C5, I'd have it ASAP!
I have seen it, yes - looks like a lot of time and effort has gone into that, a proper eye full.

My preference is for bone stock, unmodified cars wearing all their original paint nose to tail - cherished, pampered survivors if you will.
I'm all about factory originality other than regular maintenance items replaced like for like, with an exhaust being an exception I guess.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Yeah, was a bit!
With the C5 being so much younger, I'd like to think the catchment pool will be significantly greater.
I had 2 C5's back in day and I think they're the best value for money Corvette you can get. If I went there again it would be a Z

Last triumph

Well-known user
I had 2 C5's back in day and I think they're the best value for money Corvette you can get. If I went there again it would be a Z
Yes, a Z would be great, no doubt.

I've spoken to Paul re his Z that is up for auction in May, however it will likely be out of my budget being a commemorative edition, and whilst I get the appeal, the body kit and intake mods, along with the missing titanium exhaust replaced by the Billy Boat makes it not quite right for me, but the likely sale price will put it out of reach.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
If looking at C5 Z06s, depends on if you're willing to lose the amount of storage space of the hatch to smaller trunk space
Looking at about $4-5K more for a stock ZO6 over other C5 models

The LS6 has a few changes over the LS1 engine as to Cam grind, engine compression bit higher and oiling system changes
along with the MN6 tranny supporting bit more torque, but this only gets 30/30 flywheel HP/TQ
Base C5 with just a PCM custom tune would put out higher numbers than the stock LS6

So if not racing, would it be worth that much more buying price over non ZO6 ?

Used 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Pricing​

The Kelley Blue Book Fair Purchase Price for any individual used vehicle can vary greatly according to mileage, condition, location, and other factors, but here's a general idea of what buyers are currently paying for used 2002 Chevrolet Corvette models when purchasing from a dealership.
Original MSRPKBB Fair Purchase Price (nat'l average)
Coupe 2D$41,650$16,761
Convertible 2D$48,175$17,775
Z06 Hard Top 2D$50,350$21,899

Last triumph

Well-known user
I've been using Bring-a-Trailer as a reasonable source of what US based cars actually sell for (rather than just what they are advertised for) so feel reasonably comfortable with home market pricing, it's the UK part I'm not so sure about, specifically the impact of 6 speed and also >100k miles on resale value and desirability.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The LSx engines are a bullet
Not only for jut street driving but also LS6 for ZO6 that also are raced
Example one of my customer 2001 Z06 I custom tuned 20 years ago and also does some racing
This snapshot is from 4 years ago and owner says more like 240,000 miles on it and engine has never been apart
and uses very little engine oil

Really about if past owners maintained the car and serviced it or not

Bobn01Z200kmiles.jpg

Roscobbc

One of our Essex guys (Tony Rudd) a couple of years ago had a C6 Z06 commemorative edition for a few years......with a Procharger. Had been installed over here I believe in the UK by a Surrey CCCUK club member when the car was only a couple of years old or so and well maintained. Relatively low boost engine, with dyno sheets showing supposedly over 600 hp.........that engine was unburstable and so, so. That also had a Billy Boat exhaust and whilst almost acceptably load on normal running around it was ear shatteringly loud on boost. He did struggle selling it at a 'proper' price......seemed that people were afraid of it........can't think why?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Why would they be afraid of a small block engine bored out to be a 427 CI with no cylinder walls, just brittle sleeves and
even want to run 4 PSI of boost ? :)

To do even 4 PSI needs

Larger fuel injectors
Intercooler
Higher flowing radiator
Pin the crank pulley
Change from a 4 bar to 2 bar MAP sensor
Colder step sparkplugs made for a narrow spark gap
and do a lot of lying in the PCM calibration tuning

I have seen some, though the rods went through the block :-(

Last triumph

Well-known user
Just for context, my question about mileage is not related to reliability, it's more to do with UK value differences between average and high miles and whether there is a subconscious barrier in buyers minds regarding 100k miles from a value perception perspective.

Just seeking some opinions really. :)

Last edited:

Llewelyn

Well-known user
Just for context, my question about mileage is not related to reliability, it's more to do with UK value differences between average and high miles and whether there is a subconscious barrier in buyers minds regarding 100k miles from a value perception perspective.

Just seeking some opinions really. :)
Mileage always helps, I personally don't think it matters on an LS1 and C5's wear their miles well if well maintained.

I don't think there is a premium in £ but there is definitely a desirability premium, and due to the relatively low numbers of 3 pedal cars beggars can't really be choosers!

You might need to import personally to get the car you want or compromise and accept that you aren't going to find one with perfect AND original paint.

The last C5 manual I had is now owned by a very good friend of mine, lots of videos of it on my YT channel where I bought as a none runner and slowly improved it. It is now in super reliable condition and would be a perfect daily driver - Paint is largely original (torch red) but showing it's age, so in order to be immaculate would need a respray. It's largely stock except for a Joying head unit (common US upgrade for carplay). The car is an absolute animal of a thing and goes like stink, I really miss it actually.

It was the one featured on the No27 channel and has been further improved since that video (refurbished wheels with Michelin tyres, ugraded stereo and so on).

I reckon he'd want £15k for it if he was selling it (I can ask)! He's based in South Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire border.

Pitre

Chairman, CCCUK.
Generally, manual C5 equals a few more £££ (but I now love autos) and UK/euro spec (with European Certificate of Conformity) is definitely more ££££ as it opens up easier export to Europe (they don't really like US or Japanese imports and C5s are generally more expensive in europe than in the UK). Colour is so subjective I'm not going to try to answer that! Both mileage and manual gearbox will reflect in the £££ that you pay, but condition overall is the main driver of price in my humble opinion. Do you great value paint condition over low mileage? Do you value a manual over originality? How much do you value a Z06 over other models? If you like a moonroof option then a seller with both might add more £££ as they are £2-300 to buy separately, also a private plate may add value if its a good one. The more modified a car is the less it will fetch (or the less easy it'll be to sell), generally....
Good luck with your search 👍

Last triumph

Well-known user
Mileage always helps, I personally don't think it matters on an LS1 and C5's wear their miles well if well maintained.

I don't think there is a premium in £ but there is definitely a desirability premium, and due to the relatively low numbers of 3 pedal cars beggars can't really be choosers!

You might need to import personally to get the car you want or compromise and accept that you aren't going to find one with perfect AND original paint.

The last C5 manual I had is now owned by a very good friend of mine, lots of videos of it on my YT channel where I bought as a none runner and slowly improved it. It is now in super reliable condition and would be a perfect daily driver - Paint is largely original (torch red) but showing it's age, so in order to be immaculate would need a respray. It's largely stock except for a Joying head unit (common US upgrade for carplay). The car is an absolute animal of a thing and goes like stink, I really miss it actually.

It was the one featured on the No27 channel and has been further improved since that video (refurbished wheels with Michelin tyres, ugraded stereo and so on).

I reckon he'd want £15k for it if he was selling it (I can ask)! He's based in South Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire border.
Thanks, sounds like a fun car, but probably not one for me but thanks for the suggestion and opinions.
Yes, I'm prepared (and expecting to have to import one personally) to find the right car - I had to go this route with my 4 speed '81.

Last triumph

Well-known user
Generally, manual C5 equals a few more £££ (but I now love autos) and UK/euro spec (with European Certificate of Conformity) is definitely more ££££ as it opens up easier export to Europe (they don't really like US or Japanese imports and C5s are generally more expensive in europe than in the UK). Colour is so subjective I'm not going to try to answer that! Both mileage and manual gearbox will reflect in the £££ that you pay, but condition overall is the main driver of price in my humble opinion. Do you great value paint condition over low mileage? Do you value a manual over originality? How much do you value a Z06 over other models? If you like a moonroof option then a seller with both might add more £££ as they are £2-300 to buy separately, also a private plate may add value if its a good one. The more modified a car is the less it will fetch (or the less easy it'll be to sell), generally....
Good luck with your search 👍
Thanks, appreciate the insight.

One of the reasons I value original paint so much is that not only are they original only once, you cannot hide crash damage or other untoward shenanigans behind factory original paint (mechanical considerations aside). I'd rather have a car with slightly dull paint and a fair amount of swirl marks and some stone chips, than an immaculate show winning repaint.

Body type, colour and spec are less important than originality and being well maintained and cared for.

A Z06 would be lovely, but I'd choose the right base car over a compromised Z06.

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
From what I’ve seen there seems to be a much bigger pool of cars for sale in Germany than the UK. Lots of them have pretty reasonable mileage of course in KM.
Cheaper to import shipping wise as you can just drive it over. Taxes the same as from the US as we are no longer in the EU for movement of goods.
Low mileage has always been a big consideration here in the UK, although our attitude to same has altered over the last few years. Ie we are accepting higher mileage on our cars.

Last triumph

Well-known user
From what I’ve seen there seems to be a much bigger pool of cars for sale in Germany than the UK. Lots of them have pretty reasonable mileage of course in KM.
Cheaper to import shipping wise as you can just drive it over. Taxes the same as from the US as we are no longer in the EU for movement of goods.
Low mileage has always been a big consideration here in the UK, although our attitude to same has altered over the last few years. Ie we are accepting higher mileage on our cars.
They seem really expensive in Germany compared to here and the US, unless I'm looking in the wrong places (Auto Scout, Classic Trader, Car & Classic)?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
They seem really expensive in Germany compared to here and the US, unless I'm looking in the wrong places (Auto Scout, Classic Trader, Car & Classic)?
They are indeed more expensive, certainly in Germany than they are here, and not that much cheaper in France. The market for them is larger there than here, and they are priced accordingly.
The largest source is obviously the US for what your after, but “good” cars will be good money, rubbish is everywhere.