C7 Corvette Stolen using Electronics

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
One man recently captured on video using a device in his hand to help steal an Arctic White 2019 Corvette coupe from a Toyota dealership in Florida.

The Martin County Sheriff’s Office released surveillance video from Dec. 15 that shows the thief first trying to use the device to open the $75,000 Corvette at the dealership in Stuart.
When that strategy fails, he then breaks the window, climbs in, and apparently uses the same device to crank the car and drive away.

122223_6b.jpg

This was the first time a theft like this has been captured on video, according to Chief Deputy John Budensiek.

“Looking back at some of our other high-end cars that were stolen, this very well may have happened,” he says.
“We just didn’t have a video of it taking place where we can see exactly how they did it.”

Budensiek suspects a crew of traveling organized criminals are targeting keyless entry vehicles, noting the latest theft of the Corvette took less than three minutes.
“It’s extremely alarming how fast criminals are able to come in there, use this program, get in the vehicle and drive off,” he says.

To try to prevent such a problem, Budensiek suggests being proactive by hiding an inexpensive tracker inside the car because thieves can sometimes disable the OnStar GPS, as the crook did in this case.
He asks anyone with information about the theft of the Corvette to contact the Martin County Sheriff’s Office.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
What I dont understand about that, is the robbers apparently haven't captured the cars key signal, the keys presumably sitting somewhere in the dealership? Hence the need to break the window to get entry? So once in the car, how/why would the car start when you press the start button, if there is no key signal detected by the car? You're not "preventing" it being stolen having a tracker hidden in the car? Just having a way to locate it, if the thieves disable the OnStar GPS?
Keyless car theft: everything you need to know | heycar

Roscobbc

What I dont understand about that, is the robbers apparently haven't captured the cars key signal, the keys presumably sitting somewhere in the dealership? Hence the need to break the window to get entry? So once in the car, how/why would the car start when you press the start button, if there is no key signal detected by the car? You're not "preventing" it being stolen having a tracker hidden in the car? Just having a way to locate it, if the thieves disable the OnStar GPS?
Keyless car theft: everything you need to know | heycar
If the car dealer has the 'keys/fob' simply stored in a drawer or metal key safe is it a 'Faraday Cage' and impervious to any rogue 'devices' searching........if not - dealer is surely at least partly responsible surely?

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
If the car dealer has the 'keys/fob' simply stored in a drawer or metal key safe is it a 'Faraday Cage' and impervious to any rogue 'devices' searching........if not - dealer is surely at least partly responsible surely?
Agree. I'm assuming that they didn't get the key signal off the key(s)? Certainly have my keyless fobs in Halfords Faraday pouches in the house. Is it some new device they have? Didn't open the door but started the car, thats what I don't understand.

Last edited:

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I posted about the "Flipper" that is cheap to buy and hackers using it to hack into modern cars, including C8s
This is a main hackers tool, and they share the hacks with others via cyberspace to load on that flipper

I suspect the gangbanger wearing the hoodie either did not use that correctly for the door or did not obtain the hacker software
module to open the door, but you say how easy it to break the window but than had the hack to allow starting

A ricer nameplate is so bad that crooks once in the car plugs a device into the USB port used for music, etc and
that allows engine start

So many stolen of this ricer nameplate that insurances do not want to insure those vehicles and one state suing the nameplate
stating nameplate is not fixing this, thus allows countless of these cars stolen across the USA

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
According to the above article:
"Despite TikTok videos that suggest otherwise, you can’t use a Flipper to open and start a car, even your own. Keyless entry cars open when the fob sends a radio signal to a receiver in the car. That’s a piece of cake for a Flipper, except that all but the oldest cars with keyless entry use rolling codes that change every time you use one. So you might be able to use it one time, but that’s it. Still, setting up a single-use car door opening is an easy way to impress your friends. (There may be exceptions, however.)"

Click on the "able to use it one time" link above to see the TikTok video explanation.

Last edited: