Did 'YOU' bring your Corvette to the Olde House in Chesterfield today?

Paul Newman

CCCUK regional rep
Well Vette fans.....another day in this wonderful country of ours, another scheduled Central North event and once again the Corvette Club members were conspicuous by their absence?

Although I do appreciate that this weekend sees the big annual 'Stars & Stripes' gig at Tatton Park, Knutsford, I turned up today at The Olde House pub in Chesterfield and low and behold there were two very loyal members there in C3 Corvettes? I have to admit that I personally didn't take my Corvette today as the weather painted a very grim picture unfortunately. However, I did attend and mingled with the two guys that turned up....thanks Bill and Dave - appreciate it. When I posted this event on the website I also emailed every member in the Central North region and asked folks to let me know either way if they were intending to come...then a huge bunch of tumbleweed clogged up my inbox? There are currently well over 80 members of CCCUK in Central North and I appreciate that Corvette meets and events are not by any means compulsory for members, but some feedback when asked isn't really too much to ask is it?

Oh well....my enthusiasm knows no bounds, onward an upward as they say. At this rate possibly the Nationals may only need to reserve parking for a trio of Vettes? Thanks so much to the members who have supported me recently in the upcoming re-elections but it would be great to actually see more of you.

Bye for now and as usual you can contact me in the usual ways - :confused: !!!

James Vette

CCCUK Member
Might be the fuel price that puts people off but yes people should say if they are attending so you know how many will show up. At least you made the most of of it. (y)

Paul Newman

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks for your responses James Vette and Oneball, I appreciate that.

I have alluded to the current shocking fuel prices in a recent email to Central North members, although it affects everyone of course. You're quite right J.V. that the current fuel prices may limit some Corvette owners from travelling huge distances at the moment, I include myself in that category too. What I struggle to understand is the lack of communication from members? When I arrange venues for 'meets' the proprietors first question is always "How many will be attending?" This is a question I simply cannot answer on any occasion, but to receive responses from members that may give me at least an indication of numbers would help me greatly.

I fully understand Oneball that Friday is indeed a week day, but here again I have issues? Looking at the age demographic of 'most' Corvette Club members it is safe to say that 'work' is now a memory for them and a lot have actually retired, no longer working age. Hence the Corvette meets during the week. Looking back at my arranged events though and the week day theory doesn't seem to hold water?

Sunday 11th July 2021..........V-Ate Diner at the A17 Sutterton roundabout > Members in attendance including myself = 6
Thursday 2nd June 2022 (Queens Jubilee Bank Holiday)........Peacock Inn, Chesterfield > Members in attendance including myself = 3
Saturday 11th June 2022.........Lincolnshire Otter, Gainsborough > Members in attendance including myself = 4
Friday 1st July 2022.........Olde House, Chesterfield > Members in attendance including myself = 3

The first three dates shown above were warm sunny days throughout and yesterday it remained dry despite ominous weather forecasts?

Basically it just leaves me wondering why people join 'Clubs' that they have no intention to support or take part in their activities........I'm just saying 🤷‍♂️❓

If this continues then it leaves me extremely reluctant to arrange future events, knowing that the same 3-6 members may attend every time?

There..........that kinda covers my point 😊👍

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
When I posted this event on the website I also emailed every member in the Central North region and asked folks to let me know either way if they were intending to come.
So Paul, is the learning point don't ask them to let you know "either way," just ask them to respond if they intend to come/attend?

Roscobbc

There is no easy answer. My years as regional rep on an area with similar member no's saw much the same scenario. There was a very small hardcore of members (like count on fingers of one hand) who would always respond promptly. Its the same everywhere, in business too!

Last edited:

Paul Newman

CCCUK regional rep
Cheers for the input Chevrolet and Ross - I didn't start this thread as a moaning session and I realise that there is no answer? One of the guys who turned up yesterday suggested that I lay on free food & beer, plus strippers o_O❓I think that would probably generate the same response if I'm honest. At this rate I could provide my CCCUK flags and bunting to a more worthy cause elsewhere 🤔❓At least nobody can say that I haven't tried, that's to my credit.

GCorvette

CCCUK Member
For me, I have to balance a non 9-5 Monday to Friday job & being away a lot, however, I am a participator but on this occasion I was in France with my C3 last Friday.
Sadly for me, too many events clash with my work, but if I am free (and even in non sunny weather!), if I can be there, I will.
:cool:(y)

Roscobbc

Cheers for the input Chevrolet and Ross - I didn't start this thread as a moaning session and I realise that there is no answer? One of the guys who turned up yesterday suggested that I lay on free food & beer, plus strippers o_O❓I think that would probably generate the same response if I'm honest. At this rate I could provide my CCCUK flags and bunting to a more worthy cause elsewhere 🤔❓At least nobody can say that I haven't tried, that's to my credit.
Accept the fact that you can't win Paul - some regions in the UK are very member pro-active - others less so (and a few very much less so!) - just think - if you were to lay on free food and beer you'd get complaints from T Totalers, Vegitarians and Celiacs. The 'strippers' and you might get complainst for not considering Trans and LGB people - and wives would also want to see male strippers too.........you're on a hiding to nothing Paul.

curious bystander

CCCUK Member
During my time as a CCCUK member there have been several Central North reps., all of whom have done their best to create interest and arrange meetings for the benefit of this region. None of them have done more than you Paul, and still you get little support. When I was Events Co-ordinator it often seemed that over 90% of club members were "invisible". As you say "why are they members if they never get involved in the occasional meet up?" Makes no sense.
No answer to this but please don't throw the towel in :)

Paul Newman

CCCUK regional rep
Thanks so much for everyone's contributions to this thread and your encouragement. My love of cars and meeting people mean that my role is totally suited to me. I'll continue as long as I can and just hope that I get to meet more of the Central North members over time. Safe driving everybody and take care.