Differential lubricant for C3, alternative to ACDelco

GiuG

CCCUK Member
My C3 need a Diff lubricant, but it takes too long a delivery from US for the ACdelco, Is there an alternative that you can suggest to me?
cause these 2 main type...I found 85W-140 or 75W-90?

thank you!!

Last edited:

Roscobbc

My C3 need a Diff lubricant, but it takes too long a delivery from US for the ACdelco, Is there an alternative that you can suggest to me?
cause these 2 main type...I found 90W-140 or 75W-90?

thank you!!
Have you tried Rock Auto?

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Make sure you do 8 to 10 figure of eights in a large car park or other suitable area as soon as you get the car back the road . This will distribute the Limited Slip Diff additive fully throughout the diff .

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
There’s a guy in the States called Gary Ramadei (GTR1999 on the Corvette forum) who is considered THE expert on C3 differentials.
His recommendation is a 90 weight mineral gear oil (any brand) with, and this is the important bit, GM AC Delco additive.
There are alternatives, but you never know how they will behave with the diff clutch pack, so I would just stick with the tried and tested GM additive.
You can get that additive easily in the UK, from our supporting vendors I expect or other online suppliers like John Wolfe Racing. You need two bottles.
2F63BEAB-D2F8-41C8-AF06-89F7FA8C041E.png

Last edited:

GiuG

CCCUK Member
Great! I had the additive, but I did not find a quick ACdelco 75w85 here in UK. I was not sure of the 2 different brand put together, oil+additive. This is good news, so I can use a any good 75w90 and put the right additive on top... Nice thank you guys!!!!

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Great! I had the additive, but I did not find a quick ACdelco 75w85 here in UK. I was not sure of the 2 different brand put together, oil+additive. This is good news, so I can use a any good 75w90 and put the right additive on top... Nice thank you guys!!!!
Yes, but put the additive in first then fill up with the oil.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
cause these 2 main type...I found 85W-140 or 75W-90?

thank you!!
Have you thought about adding a diff drain plug while you are at it. Beats trying to suck out the old stuff and easy to flush through. πŸ‘

GiuG

CCCUK Member
Ck have it in stock for next day deliv.
Probably gavin roe as well. πŸ‘
For now all in God hands, if the mechanic wants it, I'll give you a call right away, at the moment I don't want overlap supplies :) thank you for the offer, I really appreciate!!!

GiuG

CCCUK Member
Have you thought about adding a diff drain plug while you are at it. Beats trying to suck out the old stuff and easy to flush through. πŸ‘
I bought a transfer pump /sucking pump. It's quite tempting the drain plug and a very good idea. but sadly there is no way they make it cheap for the labor.

Last edited:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
For now all in God hands, if the mechanic wants it, I'll give you a call right away, at the moment I don't want overlap supplies :) thank you for the offer, I really appreciate!!!
The problem with trusting in God is he

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I bought a transfer pump /sucking pump. It's quite tempting the drain plug and a very good idea. but sadly there is no way they make it cheap for the labor.
Easy 40min job once you have the right drills and tap. Gavin roe talked me though it and it all went smoothly Β£20 in bits and your labour is free. Very satisfying job πŸ‘

GiuG

CCCUK Member
Ok, everything Done thank you guys!!!! Funny story, the mechanic was puzzled cause there was no oil in the differential!!! my previous mechanic substitute the yoke gaskets nice job, but he forgot to fill up the Differential Lubricant!! Lucky me I did not push the car. This mech was able to put back the 1975 the end cap differential, when the previous mechanic said that was complicated after working on my car for over 9 months... this guy, one week, now I can use my spare rear spring... money saved!!!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Ok, everything Done thank you guys!!!! Funny story, the mechanic was puzzled cause there was no oil in the differential!!! my previous mechanic substitute the yoke gaskets nice job, but he forgot to fill up the Differential Lubricant!! Lucky me I did not push the car. This mech was able to put back the 1975 the end cap differential, when the previous mechanic said that was complicated after working on my car for over 9 months... this guy, one week, now I can use my spare rear spring... money saved!!!
Sounds like your first guy couldn`t even spell ` Mechanic` never mind actually be one !!!!