Grand sport 2019 Auto AFM

Steve n Kate

Regular user
Hi guys,can anyone confirm that the cylinder delete from 8 to 4 doesn’t apply to the euro spec cars.Can’t seem to find a definitive answer to Uk cars.
Many thanks
Steve

Steve n Kate

Regular user
Hi Scaz,I actually bought a range device but reading these write ups from the forum I’m thinking the uk cars have the afm deleted apart from eco mode for my c7 auto.
Looks like I will have to return the range device to Amazon.
Many thanks for replying.
Steve

scazman

Regular user
No worries. They are expensive on Amazon.
I bought one from the US when I was on hols there about 4 years ago and had it shipped to my hotel. It was comparatively cheap (about £150, I seem to remember), as it was direct from Range.
I do use mine, as I couldn't find a definitive answer either when I was searching, but that was before either of the posts above.
They are 'fit and forget'.
Edited to add - mine is a 2018 UK C7 Auto Grand Sport

Steve n Kate

Regular user
Thanks for the information
Mine is also a late grand sport being a 19 plate built in 18 according to the build sheet.It’s only done 2.6k but I’m already thinking of replacing the auto box fluid and diff oil as a precaution to the torque tube shudder.
I take it you haven’t had any issues with yours?.
Steve

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Hi Scaz,I actually bought a range device but reading these write ups from the forum I’m thinking the uk cars have the afm deleted apart from eco mode for my c7 auto.
Steve
Yes Steve, As in the post above, your UK spec car will be in "Eco" when you start it up, as you know. Just need to switch it to Tour, Sport or Track as you drive off. (y):)

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
No worries. They are expensive on Amazon.
I bought one from the US when I was on hols there about 4 years ago and had it shipped to my hotel. It was comparatively cheap (about £150, I seem to remember), as it was direct from Range.
I do use mine, as I couldn't find a definitive answer either when I was searching, but that was before either of the posts above.
They are 'fit and forget'.
Edited to add - mine is a 2018 UK C7 Auto Grand Sport

If wanting to know all the TSBs for 2018 C7s review

If wanting to know what the TSB number is, flow further down that page

Rich

Administrator
Steve
Have you tried it? I have one on my UK spec Camaro with same engine as your C7. Wouldn't be without it. Eradicates the vibration when running on 4 cylinders.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Thanks for the information
Mine is also a late grand sport being a 19 plate built in 18 according to the build sheet.It’s only done 2.6k but I’m already thinking of replacing the auto box fluid and diff oil as a precaution to the torque tube shudder.
I take it you haven’t had any issues with yours?.
Steve
Think thats a good idea Steve. I had my C7 "triple flushed" by Ian Ian Allan as a precautionary measure when I got it in 2019. And as you can see from the above, the latest Mobil 1 trans fluid came out in July 2019. Graham from Nottingham bought a UK C7 from Ian Allan in May, with 2k miles on it. Per "Ade" up there, even at only 2k miles, the trans fluid and diff oil was "filthy" and the diff was underfilled at the factory which is apparently common. They have changed the diff oil and the trans fluid twice, including a new filter. Per Ade that has transformed the way the car drives.

Last edited:

Stingray

CCCUK Member
* Euro cars only engage AFM in Eco mode.
* US cars engage AFM in all (yes ALL) modes
* The Range device is a simple "plug n play" solution and will defeat AFM on demand. It just plugs into the OBD socket. It's especially easy to use if you install the Range device with an OBD extension lead and inline switch.

* As regards A8 transmissions, they seem absolutely fine so long as the transmission fluid is up to date. The problem was apparently something to do with the original fluid's enthusiasm to absorb water, which could cause the TQ lockup clutch to slip and get into a cycle of constantly engaging/disengaging. So far as I can make out the only people who got into difficulties were dimwits who carried on driving thousands of miles with a car that was misbehaving and thus knackered their TQ lockup through accelerated wear.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Mine is also a late grand sport being a 19 plate built in 18 according to the build sheet. It’s only done 2.6k but I’m already thinking of replacing the ..... diff oil as a precaution to the torque tube shudder.
Any shudder would be from TQ lockup clutch so I'd leave the diff alone.

Steve n Kate

Regular user
Thank you Stingray for your great reply
Seems there is a lot of knowledge in this group.
I’m still waiting for a definite answer from Ian Allan as they didn’t know how the AFM works on euro cars when I rang them.

Steve n Kate

Regular user
I’m probably going to change diff oil as I’ve seen a few vids showing very silvery black oil from diff even from a few thousand miles.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
I’m still waiting for a definite answer from Ian Allan as they didn’t know how the AFM works on euro cars when I rang them.
I think you may have a very long wait...

As official UK dealer Ian Allan's main objective is to toe the corporate line with GM. I think it's fair to say this includes "not fiddling about in the software". They will carry out any official, mandated software updates but that's about all. I anticipate that by saying they "don't know" it avoids any lengthy and awkward discussions with customers. It also avoids any subsequent "liability" issues if they fiddle with something and the car later breaks, whether or not that has anything to do with the changes made.

Stingray

CCCUK Member
I’m probably going to change diff oil as I’ve seen a few vids showing very silvery black oil from diff even from a few thousand miles.
Interesting. I just googled this subject and an outfit called Keystone Chevrolet in the US say,
"Usually, differential fluid is changed after every 30k to 60k miles driven. This is a tough job, so must be handled by an expert technician. Only an experienced mechanic can properly wipe out the old fluid from your vehicle's drive-train."

My US import is at 8 years old and 30,000 miles so it might be something to consider at the next Ian Allan service in a year or so. I've recently done an intermediate oil change myself in view of low annual mileage.

C7 is a stunning car IMO. A great parting shot for front-engine Corvettes.

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Steve, I mentioned "Ade" in Nottingham above. There's a group of guys in Nottingham who are total Vette/Camaro "heads" and have bought numerous UK spec Vettes and Camaros from Ian Allan, including most recently three C8s. Ade looks after them/provides advice. He is always willing to help/provide advice. I see from your profile that you are a "Regular User," so haven't joined the Club/paid the sub yet? So I can't Private Message (PM) you his phone number. How about joining, PM me and I will send you his #? Cheers/Peter

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Keep in mind as to this ranger device that due to damage GM feels because of this device
If caught finding this plugged in when coming in for warranty, they will void it

There have been complaints by owners with this device that it can drain the battery when parked for long periods
Newer version of this device may have done changes to prevent that ?

One way to completely turn DOD/AFM/DFM off is within the PCM calibration tune
Or can within the tune change at what RPMS, gears, etc this is on or off

Some of the tables in tune for this in C7s

DOD.jpg

On another note, instead of guessing when to change oils or fluids, there are testlabs for vehicle owners can
send samples of oils and fluids to tested and report sent to owners to know exactly the makeup and if
oils/fluids could be used for longer or shorter periods

They keep your results on file so when later times you send more samples
they than compare results to past results of your vehicle

Most here in USA use Blackstone Labs

Here is results from my 1999 C5 from multi samples of engine oil 2001to 2017

blackstone99.jpg