Looking to Buy a C2 Sting Ray - '65 - '67

Johnrdking

CCCUK Member
Hey folks,

I’m looking for my first Corvette, a C2 Sting Ray coupe from between 1965 and 67 for up to £70k.

It’s probably common knowledge, but when Gran Turismo launched on the original Playstation back in 1997, the ’67 Sting Ray Coupe was the nicest ‘A-Class’ car you could pick in Arcade Mode – and I’ve been smitten ever since. A whole 26 years later, I can finally afford to buy one (well, maybe not the L88 specced in the game, but close enough).

I’ve spent hours (maybe days?) watching YouTube videos, reading all the recommended books, and crawling forums and listings and I’ve narrowed my search down to a:

• ‘Manual’ Coupe from between ’65 and ’67
  • With ‘knock off’ style wheels (real or bolt-on)
  • Ideally with side-pipes (but could flex on this)
  • I’m easy on the colour, but I’d lean towards Nassau Blue, Black and White examples
  • I’m fully expecting a small block engine in my price bracket

I’m not looking for a show car, and I’m not that fussed about it being up to NCRS standards; with that said though, a good quality paint job would certainly be welcome.

I fully intend to drive it about, so if extra mod-cons are specced, like ‘vintage’ AC and other quality of life upgrades, I’d be keen, but I’m not looking for a restomod.

I’ve seen some wonderful examples on Car & Classic, but they either tend to be ’64 examples with the old drum brakes, or they’re high-priced ‘65s or ‘67s with the rally wheels without side-pipes; where the cost to buy new wheels, and to carve up the panels to fit pipes makes it a little painful (and probably a sin).

The first example I saw in my search was over at Retro Car & Classic, and it was perfect, but sadly it was already on reserve (pic included, full credit to Sam Harper at Retro Classic Car) and just after I got the finance approved, it was picked up by its new owner; and I haven’t seen one quite like it since.

For a similar example, I could stretch to £70k, but the further from the spec we get, the less I’d want to spend - importing those bolt-on wheels and radial tires isn’t cheap!

So, if you have a similar example that you’d reluctantly part with, or you know someone who is thinking about offloading one – I’d welcome a conversation, so please, drop me a message.

If you don’t have a C2 to sell, but have some wisdom to share, feedback or guidance, I’d welcome it – it’s easy to fall for a dud when you’re new.

Thank you 🙏

retro-classic-car-1965-corvette-stingray-coupe.jpg

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Good choice!
Expect to travel a lot and face some disappointments along the way. It took me 3 years to find the right C2 for me having looked at several that didn't tick enough boxes and that brings me to my next point - don't get too emotional you have to walk away if it doesn't feel right or needs too much work. That's another point too, C2 are 60 years old and no matter how well they present they always need ongoing maintenance and fettling. There's a C3 buyers guide on here somewhere and many of the guides for purchasing a C3 can be applied to a C2 as well being very similar construction.

Good luck with your search.

Stuart

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
If you do get one with knock off wheels message member Chris Sale on here and request a copy of his self-written and excellent tutorial on how to correctly install knock off's

Johnrdking

CCCUK Member
Good choice!
Expect to travel a lot and face some disappointments along the way. It took me 3 years to find the right C2 for me having looked at several that didn't tick enough boxes and that brings me to my next point - don't get too emotional you have to walk away if it doesn't feel right or needs too much work. That's another point too, C2 are 60 years old and no matter how well they present they always need ongoing maintenance and fettling. There's a C3 buyers guide on here somewhere and many of the guides for purchasing a C3 can be applied to a C2 as well being very similar construction.

Good luck with your search.

Stuart

Thanks Stuart,

I fully expect that to be the case - if I travel abroad, I can probably widen the variety, but it seems that they get even more expensive outside of the UK!

I'm no mechanic, and I'm looking for something I can enjoy without requiring further work - so I'll be tying my own hands in that regard.

If a dashboard clock needs refurbishing, or the interior needs new carpets or reupholstering, I can live with that - as long as the chassis is straight, it drives, and the body is solid, it's a good place to start.

Besides here, Car & Classic, ebay and Facebook groups, is there anywhere else I should be looking?

On the knock-off wheels, I've seen they take some graft! (and a lead mallet) I'll be sure to drop Chris a note when the time comes - thanks for the heads up! 💪

John

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Lead mallets make so much mess with bits of lead flying everywhere. A nylon faced dead blow hammer is the way to go..

DBH.PNG

Roscobbc

The NCRS 'stamp of approval' with a Top Flite certification of a Corvette is generally regarded as an excellent indication re. provenance etc for any proposed car purchase......and rightly so considering the level of knowledge the organisation has.......however be very aware of cars unscrupulously 'presented' as being NCRS 'Top Flite' or similar spec' but could have been certified a number of years earlier, perhaps by a prior owner but haven't been looked after to the same standards by following owners.

Johnrdking

CCCUK Member
The NCRS 'stamp of approval' with a Top Flite certification of a Corvette is generally regarded as an excellent indication re. provenance etc for any proposed car purchase......and rightly so considering the level of knowledge the organisation has.......however be very aware of cars unscrupulously 'presented' as being NCRS 'Top Flite' or similar spec' but could have been certified a number of years earlier, perhaps by a prior owner but haven't been looked after to the same standards by following owners.
That's a good shout, thank you - I'll make sure to ask 'when' they were certified!

Roscobbc

Anyone in receipt of a current NCRS certificate would logically (in my mind) be waving it under your nose......if not, and/or obtained by the last owner or someone prior ask some questions if they don't have it.

Last edited:

nicklouse10

New user
Hi John,

I've just bought a wreck of a house and am thinking of selling my 67 coupe to fund some renovations.
Looking at your wishlist, it sounds like my car could be a pretty good fit.
if you email me I'll send you a full description of the car
cheers
Nick

Attachments

• 20190107-v2-2 (002).jpg
    20190107-v2-2 (002).jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 24

Johnrdking

CCCUK Member
Hi John,

I've just bought a wreck of a house and am thinking of selling my 67 coupe to fund some renovations.
Looking at your wishlist, it sounds like my car could be a pretty good fit.
if you email me I'll send you a full description of the car
cheers
Nick
Hi Nick,

Thanks for reaching out.

Just tried to message you with my email address, but no joy - could you message me with the spec, options and more images?

Thanks in advance 🙏

Screenshot_20230507-083556_Chrome.jpg

nicklouse10

New user
Hi John,

I wasnt able to message you directly either. I think I have to be a paid member for that. if you send me an email to nicklouse10@hotmail.com I'll send you a description of the car and a bunch of photos
cheers
Nick

Attachments

• PXL_20210602_125314377.jpg
    PXL_20210602_125314377.jpg
    138.1 KB · Views: 23
  • PXL_20210805_132442230.jpg
    PXL_20210805_132442230.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 23

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
Hello. Sounds a bit like me and my criteria when I was looking at C3s - early C3 with chrome, manual, sidepipes, preferably blue. I got all 3, but my car needed a bit of work to it though. Hey hum.

Is it worth you asking some of the car importers on here? Eurovettes, EMC, just to name a couple from the top of my heads (there are others, apologies if I didn't mention you - bad memory!). They have contacts USA side who might be able to source and import one to your spec as there will be more cars available over there to your spec.

Good luck with you search.

Vetteheadracer

CCCUK Member
You might as well start at the top! 1965 - 1967 are probably the most desirable (aka expensive) Corvettes especially if you start adding in Big Block to the equation and the options you are looking for.

If you look in North America don't forget to include Canada there are a lot more cars to choose from but obviously you need to factor in getting the car over to the UK if you find one. The good news it really isn't very expensive to do and it is worth it if you find the right car. You can also factor in a trip out to the US to view the car / cars as part of your buying experience.

If as you state you know nothing about Corvettes then may I suggest employing someone who does to do the initial donkey work of viewing some cars in the US should you find some / one you like? It will cost you a bit of money in the short term but its a lot less than buying a clunker dressed as prom queen.

There are some beautiful cars already here in the UK and you might get lucky and find someone is selling your potential dream car, if not then you will need to be prepared to either compromise on spec or look to North America.

P.S. I bought a 1965 ex-SCCA Corvette Convertible sight unseen for $15,000 off of Craigslist when I lived in Florida back in 2016 :)
00J0J_aclWqN0MxeB_1200x900.jpg

Johnrdking

CCCUK Member
Hello. Sounds a bit like me and my criteria when I was looking at C3s - early C3 with chrome, manual, sidepipes, preferably blue. I got all 3, but my car needed a bit of work to it though. Hey hum.

Is it worth you asking some of the car importers on here? Eurovettes, EMC, just to name a couple from the top of my heads (there are others, apologies if I didn't mention you - bad memory!). They have contacts USA side who might be able to source and import one to your spec as there will be more cars available over there to your spec.

Good luck with you search.
Hey, thanks for pitching in!

As you say, I don't mind doing a bit of work if it means I get a C2 with the main bases covered. Some folks here have helpfully introduced me to Adrian, and I see Eurovettes have a lovely '67 C2 on their books in silver - but it lacks the side pipes and bolt-on wheels (otherwise, it's a beaut).

I'm happy to look at examples from the US, I'd just need a 'pro' on hand to make sure I don't get a dud (I'd obviously pay for their time and expertise)

How long did it take you to find your dream C3?

Cheers!
John

Johnrdking

CCCUK Member
You might as well start at the top! 1965 - 1967 are probably the most desirable (aka expensive) Corvettes especially if you start adding in Big Block to the equation and the options you are looking for.

If you look in North America don't forget to include Canada there are a lot more cars to choose from but obviously you need to factor in getting the car over to the UK if you find one. The good news it really isn't very expensive to do and it is worth it if you find the right car. You can also factor in a trip out to the US to view the car / cars as part of your buying experience.

If as you state you know nothing about Corvettes then may I suggest employing someone who does to do the initial donkey work of viewing some cars in the US should you find some / one you like? It will cost you a bit of money in the short term but its a lot less than buying a clunker dressed as prom queen.

There are some beautiful cars already here in the UK and you might get lucky and find someone is selling your potential dream car, if not then you will need to be prepared to either compromise on spec or look to North America.

P.S. I bought a 1965 ex-SCCA Corvette Convertible sight unseen for $15,000 off of Craigslist when I lived in Florida back in 2016 :)
View attachment 22234
You're exactly right - if I buy a 'clunker', I'll be miserable, so I'd certainly pay for expert help in sourcing a good example. My brother's a mechanic, so he can tell me if a car is 'sound', but he can't tell me how authentic it is - and that's where some niche experience comes in.

As you say, I'm looking at the more popular years, so I know it won't be cheap - but I suspect a 'big block' will cost £100k+, so I've tempered my expectations accordingly, fully accepting I'll likely get a small block for sub £70k.

I've seen that reproduction bolt-on wheels aren't massively expensive, so I could compromise on the wheel trim and swap them out, but I appreciate fitting side-pipes is a bit more like minor surgery. So if they're already present, it saves me some pain.

The alternative is that I see a cheaper example that leaves me the funds spare to make all those changes within budget - but I appreciate that might be asking for too much.

Your '65 convertible, what did it look like after you'd finished with it? It looks like it needed a fair bit of work!

Thanks for sharing 🙏

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
There are more 1967 corvettes both coupes and convertibles with bolt on wheels and side pipes around nowadays than Chevrolet ever produced.
Over the years people tailored them to their own taste by adding same. You will probably find you will have to do the same. Find the car , add the bits you want.
Original set of bolt on wheels can run to $15k against a repro set at $2.5K, But of course the originals will always hold their value

Johnrdking

CCCUK Member
1967 figures
Side exhaust fitted 4209
Bolt on wheels 720

View attachment 22238
That's a fair point, I think I might have read something similar in one of the restoration books I picked up.

So it sounds like the Bolt-on/knock-off wheels are worth a lot more than I realised, so finding a car with an original set, without side-pipes is the better value option?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
1967 being a one year only car having the bolt on wheels will be pretty tough finding one with factory fitted wheels, and only the build sheet/Vin can confirm their figment. That car will bring a premium.
Many people bought their “original “KH wheels over the counter from GM until GM run out of them. They are correct dated 67 bolt on wheels just not fitted at the factory. Worth just as much as a factory fitted set.
Same to a lesser degree with 65/66 knock off wheels. Originals were purchased over the counter until stocks ran out.
Putting on a set of side exhausts is not hard and again has been done to countless C2’s over the years.
I’ve seen side pipes removed to revert back to under car system as that’s what the new owner wants. It’s all about preference.
I would say find the car ie Color and mechanical options you like/want. Do the wheels/pipes once you’ve got it.

BB stinger hoods for lower CI motors was/is another popular upgrade. Especially on 67’s as that factory hood looks so good.

Stateside will offer a much wider choice of car with probably wheels/pipes already on tho not necessarily factory fitted. Who cares tho.
Appraisals can be carried out for you with a fully independent appraiser, costs between $250-400 depending on travel. Money well spent any faults shown give you a chance to haggle the price. Shipping is so easy now , import tax will only be 5% VAT. Only downside is the £ to $ rate @1:21 ish.
Happy hunting.

Last edited:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Just a thought, if you do have to order a set of repro wheels remember to order an extra wheel for your spare. The suppliers will usually do a set but that’s only 4. Order the extra one for your spare without the hardware. Will save buying/shipping separately later on.

When factory ordered/fitted, you got 5.

5 knock off wheels for $300 back when new, but that was a lot of money back then. Wheels and A/C were the most expensive options at that time. More expensive than some motor options.