More Controlling Crap for 2025 MY

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
More control crap and also more functions to fail added for 2025 model year
mad

Would you want more electronic functions dictating your driving ?
IMG_6275.jpg

mickn

CCCUK Member
I already have some of these features on my daily driver Audi and I firmly believe that the Automatic Emergency Braking one is actually dangerous at times. The lane assist is also a pain in the backside.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I already have some of these features on my daily driver Audi and I firmly believe that the Automatic Emergency Braking one is actually dangerous at times. The lane assist is also a pain in the backside.
If drivers cannot control their vehicles without all these so called ` safety` gizmo`s they shouldn`t be on the road IMO . If the auto industry wants to develop lane assist into something really useful they should come up with a system that automatically steers the middle lane hogging idiots on motorways into the nearest inside clear lane . :mad:

Roscobbc

The joke is that if you have such a system in your car and it activates spuriously (say a bollard in the centre of the road activates the Automatic Emergency Braking) you better hope the car following you (and the one following him, etc etc) also has the system to stop them running in to your ass end..............

mickn

CCCUK Member
The joke is that if you have such a system in your car and it activates spuriously (say a bollard in the centre of the road activates the Automatic Emergency Braking) you better hope the car following you (and the one following him, etc etc) also has the system to stop them running in to your ass end..............
I have thought this myself because I actually have no idea if your brake lights come on when this happens

Roscobbc

I have thought this myself because I actually have no idea if your brake lights come on when this happens
In fairness one BMW I had with the system 10 years ago only ever once activated falsely in 80k miles.....and that was due to a centre refuge on a bend in a single carriageway road triggering it. A later BMW with the autonomous braking system never operated falsely in the 50k miles I used it. However I did wonder how effective it really was when forced to late (very, very late) brake following a vehicle in front unexpectedly coming to a halt......kinda had the feeling it was perhaps too hesitant in deploying before potential collision?

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Must do, surely? If these systems were dangerous/had caused accidents/injuries/fatalities we would have heard about it by now? Yes/No? I have Emergency Assist on my VW Arteon daily driver. Like the idea of the car taking over and driving to a safe stop in the case of a "medical emergency"

mickn

CCCUK Member
Mine has been applied on numerous occasions. I was going round a traffic calming kerb on my side of the road once forcing me onto the other side, as I returned to my side the car sensed a child and woman on the pavement and applied the braking assist! This has also happened when I've overtaken parked cars on my side of the road and vehicles have been parked on the opposite pavement. It also happened once when someone was walking on the pavement towards the kerb on my side of the road. It also doesn't like you anticipating people turning in front of you, ie you slowing down rather than using the brake.

Roscobbc

Mine has been applied on numerous occasions. I was going round a traffic calming kerb on my side of the road once forcing me onto the other side, as I returned to my side the car sensed a child and woman on the pavement and applied the braking assist! This has also happened when I've overtaken parked cars on my side of the road and vehicles have been parked on the opposite pavement. It also happened once when someone was walking on the pavement towards the kerb on my side of the road. It also doesn't like you anticipating people turning in front of you, ie you slowing down rather than using the brake.
What vehicle is that? - the first BMW I had was a 2012 1 Series........most OK as I noted earlier......but a buddy of mine had a similar age 1 Series and he had quite a few issues with 'false' braking......I remember one time speaking with him when going out of a trip with a passenger and the system spuriously tr[ggered a full emergency stop. Both he and his passenger were really shook-up and (had sore shoulder due to the seat belts), returned home and used another car. Main dealer as I recall didn't believe the continual probelems........

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I have already ranted on this forum on how dangerous lane assist is, and how many times it's tried to kill the wife and I.

Brake assist I like the idea of, because of medical emergencies as mentioned above, but so far mine hasn't intervened for me. I just got a warning once in stop-start traffic (like barely moving) and I just let off the throttle when the car ahead braked (though a good gap between us). My intention was to let off throttle and it naturally roll to a stop before the car ahead. Alas, my car didn't approve of my tactic and jumped to red alert with all the sirens and alerts going. Ironically that DID almost cause me to have a crash as I had no idea what the car was doing and put me into shock for a second or two. Thankfully I've found the options to turn off all the warnings and rubbish so I don't have any future heart attacks. Obviously it'll still actually brake for me if it wants too, but the "red alert impending end of the world" alerts won't fire now.

2023 Skoda Octavia.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
This is nothing but the feds wanting to control the people and is a crock of BS
Try using this crap in any big US city like Chicago, LA, NY, etc, and they will run your ass over with this crap
They are interested as claim saving just 360 people a year but allowed 30,000,000 illegal aliens and counting rushing over our borders that have no driver licenses, insurance or even valid license plates doing hit and runs

U.S. authorities' new mandate will require carmakers to install automatic emergency braking systems on new vehicles.
Regulators expect the rule to save 360 lives a year.

April 29, 2024 08:07 PM UPDATED 4 HOURS AGO

U.S. auto safety regulators finalized a rule that would require automatic emergency braking systems on all passenger cars and light trucks by 2029.

The rule finalized by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration on Monday would require all vehicles to be equipped with automatic braking systems that would stop and avoid a collision with another car at speeds up to 62 mph.

The rule is part of the Bipartisan Infrastructure Act, which directed federal regulators to adopt minimum performance standards relating to automatic emergency braking. Braking systems must apply automatically at speeds up to 90 mph when a collision with an oncoming vehicle is imminent and 45 mph when the system detects a pedestrian, the final rule says.

“Automatic emergency braking is proven to save lives and reduce serious injuries from frontal crashes, and this technology is now mature enough to require it in all new cars and light trucks. In fact, this technology is now so advanced that we’re requiring these systems to be even more effective at higher speeds and to detect pedestrians,” Sophie Shulman, NHTSA deputy administrator, said in a statement.

NHTSA estimates the rule will save 360 lives and prevent 24,000 injuries annually.

The systems will also be required to detect pedestrians in both daylight and nighttime conditions, the final rule said.

“This rule will set a vital baseline for every new car on the road," William Wallace, associate director of safety policy for Consumer Reports, said in a statement. "People should be able to trust that the lifesaving technology on their car is going to be there for them when they need it, and that’s what this rule will accomplish."

He added: “These requirements are strong, but they’re also clearly feasible for automakers to meet, so we urge automakers to step up and meet this rule’s minimum standards without delay. To the extent a company provides an even greater level of protection such as by reliably detecting bicyclists and motorcyclists we stand ready to make sure consumers know about it.”

Consumer Reports said it has made recommendations to NHTSA on how to develop the rule "and ensure that it delivers strong safety benefits for consumers." The organization said it submitted a petition signed by more than 24,000 individual consumers urging NHTSA to finalize the "strongest possible requirements."

Congress had directed NHTSA in the 2021 infrastructure law to create a rule to establish minimum performance standards for AEB systems, which use sensors like cameras and radar to detect when a vehicle is close to crashing and then automatically applies brakes if the driver has not done so.

NHTSA in 2023 had proposed requiring nearly all vehicles to comply three years after publication, but automakers are now being given five years.

U.S. traffic deaths fell 3.6 percent in 2023, the second straight yearly decline, but they remain above pre-pandemic levels.