Per mile traveled, British are now paying more to charge their electric cars than to gas them up

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Rapid charge points used by motorists topping up on long drives are now nearly £10 more expensive than filling up a car with petrol, the RAC revealed last week.

But research from the AA published on Monday finds that recharging an electric car even using a slow public charger at peak times can be more expensive, per mile driven afterward, than for refueling a comparable petrol car.

Jack Cousens, the AA’s head of roads policy and recharging, said:
“While pump prices are falling, electricity prices are going in the other direction, but we are hopeful prices could tail off later this year.”

Previous analysis by motoring organizations has showed the cost of charging electric vehicles has soared in recent months, driven by rising energy prices partly triggered by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine last February
So, according to this hilarious story, “Topping up the e-Corsa’s charge by 80pc on a slow charger at peak times results in a cost of 16.18p per mile.”

But.
The “costs (of a petrol Corsa) at around 14.45 pence per mile[.]”

Question: What’s left to feel smug about after it costs more to drive your electric car than a car-car?

Well, I guess you can pretend to feel all kinds of virtuous about saving Mother Earth in your Prius, but Global Warming is a hoax. So you’re not saving anything. You’re certainly not saving money, lol.
What’s more, no matter how much denial you conjure up, fossil fuels are still being burned to supply you with the electricity for your car, which, by the way, costs more than filling up your car with fossil fuels.

This is a perfect example of why the free market must be our guide, not politics and certainly not the fake science of Climate Change (which is a hoax).
The government, be it third-world states such as California or our broken, bloated, and corrupt UK government, interfering in the market is always a disaster.

Roscobbc

Rapid charge points used by motorists topping up on long drives are now nearly £10 more expensive than filling up a car with petrol, the RAC revealed last week.

But research from the AA published on Monday finds that recharging an electric car even using a slow public charger at peak times can be more expensive, per mile driven afterward, than for refueling a comparable petrol car.

“While pump prices are falling, electricity prices are going in the other direction, but we are hopeful prices could tail off later this year.”

Previous analysis by motoring organizations has showed the cost of charging electric vehicles has soared in recent months, driven by rising energy prices partly triggered by Russia’s invasion of Ukraine last February
So, according to this hilarious story, “Topping up the e-Corsa’s charge by 80pc on a slow charger at peak times results in a cost of 16.18p per mile.”

But.

Question: What’s left to feel smug about after it costs more to drive your electric car than a car-car?

Well, I guess you can pretend to feel all kinds of virtuous about saving Mother Earth in your Prius, but Global Warming is a hoax. So you’re not saving anything. You’re certainly not saving money, lol.
What’s more, no matter how much denial you conjure up, fossil fuels are still being burned to supply you with the electricity for your car, which, by the way, costs more than filling up your car with fossil fuels.

This is a perfect example of why the free market must be our guide, not politics and certainly not the fake science of Climate Change (which is a hoax).
The government, be it third-world states such as California or our broken, bloated, and corrupt UK government, interfering in the market is always a disaster.
Irrespective of the inflated costs for 'on street' charging.........the article makes an assumption that you can actrually find a working or vacant charging station to compare charging costs vs petrol prices in the first place!

Roscobbc

Someone on FB earlier today with, perhaps an eye on future years commented to the effect "At first they'll come for your cars and take away freedom of movement"........."Later they'll come for your houses and properties".........

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member

But.

😱you cant say that !!! The science is Settled. Dont you know! ? You will be cancelled for daring to question the narrative a la David Bellamy !!🤣🤣👍

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I love those old engines and generators too. See a lot of them at the local steam fayres and other shows. Always nice to see, and it is interesting seeing people's creativity with what they power from the generator whilst its running at the show.

Maxxx17

Regular user
I recently returned home from Germany. I was on a business trip and was picked up from the airport by an electric car. I used the limousine service in dusseldorf. So, while we were driving, we had a little chat with the driver and he said that in Germany, too, if you recharge at some stations, it is already more expensive than to fill up the gasoline. And for comparison, the new diesel Golf will already be almost a quarter cheaper compared to the electric car. So we are slowly beginning to return to the era of gasoline and diesel. I read somewhere that recycling one battery from a Tesla produces more emissions than driving the same Golf for about 5 years. Don't know if that's true or not. But if you take the environmental issue, I'm all for hydrogen cars. By the way, there are a lot of them in Japan. When I was there, I was very surprised.

Last edited:

Roscobbc

Diesel fuel in the UK is already unfavourably loaded at up to 20% higher than the already overpriced/overtaxed petrol. Noticed lately no one talking about how cheap it is to run their electric vehicles when charging from home?

Chevrolet

CCCUK Member
Noticed lately no one talking about how cheap it is to run their electric vehicles when charging from home?
Those are the ones who dont have Economy 7 meters? Put it on charge from midnight if you have? :p:p:p Only joking! But having said that, if you have an Economy 7 meter, someone is telling me do the sums on your usage/rates/costs. As might be cheaper to get all units charged at a non E7 day rate that is lower than the E7 day rate..