Rare 1969 L88 Barn Find

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Dodgy as anything. Nothing adds up with his story. It’ll get hyped by the press and pass into “fact” with out any real evidence. Great way of making money from nothing.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Dodgy as anything. Nothing adds up with his story. It’ll get hyped by the press and pass into “fact” with out any real evidence. Great way of making money from nothing.
I just watched the video, have you Tim? Got me well and truly believing it's the real deal based on the incredible documentation and his own knowledge. Should make for a great story :cool:

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Yep watched the vid. Been involved with Minis for so long I’m very cynical of this sort of thing. It’s all too non-specific, it’s layers of mystery, it’s the way they do it with Minis. For example there’s an “ex-works” car owned by a celebrity that’s anything but ex works. But it’s got this sort of evidence and has been through big auction house enough times since it was made in the 1980s that it’s now become “fact”.

Where’s all the rumours that this car existed???

Unless I missed it there’s nothing he’s says that actually documents it’s an L88. Even the “MR” engine code is just for a big block.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Yep watched the vid. Been involved with Minis for so long I’m very cynical of this sort of thing. It’s all too non-specific, it’s layers of mystery, it’s the way they do it with Minis. For example there’s an “ex-works” car owned by a celebrity that’s anything but ex works. But it’s got this sort of evidence and has been through big auction house enough times since it was made in the 1980s that it’s now become “fact”.

Where’s all the rumours that this car existed???

Unless I missed it there’s nothing he’s says that actually documents it’s an L88. Even the “MR” engine code is just for a big block.
Understand what you're saying and it's true that there are more big block Corvettes out there than GM ever produced. Big money to be made for a Corvette such as what this may be?

So yes I can be as skeptical as the next guy but this one just feels right to me and the guys demeanour and obvious knowledge is clear to see. I'm sure the wealthy buyers did their due diligence on it before parting with what? $250k?

Oneball

CCCUK Member
If the evidence is there it’ll appear, I’ll change my mind then. It’s not like the parts to make an L88 are rare, I’ve got bits scattered around the garage.

I'm sure the wealthy buyers did their due diligence on it before parting with what? $250k?

They quite often don’t! See my Mini example. There’s also a Hemi just sold that has a truly unbelievable story to it that everyone seems to believe, because, I think people want to believe these things.

Last edited:

sublimemike

Well-known user
Sounds a bit like the hemi challenger Black Ghost story that emerged lately. From my point of view it was interesting to learn that they did make a prototype of the LS7 console plate. I also have a copy of the Green sheets the guy refers to punched out the same.

Roscobbc

For years many UK Corvette 'afficionados' were totally dismissive about the provenance and even existence of the ultra low production ZR2 C3 owned by the proprietor of Spurr Classic Cars.......until it was shipped to the USA and sold for a significant figure!

Last edited:

Oneball

CCCUK Member
That’s the difference between the ZR2 and the two cars I was talking about. As I understand it no one believed the rumours about the ZR2 for years. But there were rumours, the other two cars; nothing, they just seem to have appeared with magical stories that no one has heard before.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
For years many UK Corvette 'afficionados' were totally dismissive about the provenance and even existence of the ultra low production ZR2 C3 owned by the proprietor of Spurr Classic Cars.......until it was shipped to the USA and sold for a significant figure!
Shipped only after we had it on display at Corvettes at the Lakes (y)

Roscobbc

I had the opportunity to buy back my super rare (1 of approx 500) '71 429 SCJ very original factory 'saturday night special' Mustang Mach 1. I originally sold it in 1990 after 8 years ownership.....(forced by the economic crash in the late 80's/early 90's and the need to keep a roof over our heads). I had the opportunity to to buy it back 3 or 4 years ago at a price not a lot more than I sold it for......and whilst 'all there' it was in need (due to its rareness) a full body resto. This would have cost more than 'collectors' in the UK would have wanted to pay if subsequently put up for sale again. USA market prices would likely have been between $45k to $75k for fair to good cars. No one here would pay that kind of figure for a car that hadn't been seen and featured in a film or TV series. (Tell a lie! - 351 Mach 1 was driven by James Bond in the Thunderball film I think).
Anyway the car was eventually bought by an American enthusiast and shipped back to the 'States for its much deserved restoration.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Reminds me of in 1970 I bought a '69 351 Mach 1
Damn thing would overheat all the time at the drag strip
Had the Windsor heads that the cause bad flow of coolant, (found later Ford replaced head design with the Cleveland Design)

But traded it in for a 1971 Boss 302 Mustang
This SOB, every time redline it at drag strip the pistons would crack :(
Ford would not honor it for warranty claiming due to racing it, so I was out the money to get it repaired
They used aluminum half skirt pistons and would crack at sides of skirt

Damn after the fix back at drag strip fricking cracked again so real pissed I was at a Chevy dealer who had a almost new1974 Corvette
with slight damage to right front corner.
We dealed on a trade and I left with it, end of any Fords from then on with 12 Corvettes since

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
James Bond 71 Mach 1 in diamonds are forever. The infamous alley scene, tips up one side going in, comes out on the other side. How on earth did they miss that, or too expensive to re shoot.

Roscobbc

James Bond 71 Mach 1 in diamonds are forever. The infamous alley scene, tips up one side going in, comes out on the other side. How on earth did they miss that, or too expensive to re shoot.
It was still enough for many people to want a '72 to '73 'stang. It was enough for the guy who bought mine that was 100% stock, finished in light metallic pewter with the blacked-out hood etc to have the car reprayed in resale red, and the next buyer (who had the car for 20 years), presumably another James Bond fan bought it for the same reason.
The guy I bought the SCJ from originally would buy a low mileage 1 or 2 year old yank regularly. Again he saw the film, decided he really wanted a '71 Mach 1 and 'ordered' a 351 auto from one of the UK wheeler dealers of 'the day'. When he got the car I seem to recall it was only about 18 months old with about 12000 miles. But he was really pee'd off with thefuel consumption from of 375 hp 429 and 4.11 detroit locker axle and considered he had been badly 'turned over' buying it. He wasn't aware of its rareity.......but reality is that rareity doesn't always translate to desireability does it? - I loved 'rare' USA Ford's - but '71 - '73 has never had the same 'pull' as a '69 or '70. In turn these have never had the 'pull' of a '67 or '68........and the there are the people prepared to pay stupid sums of money for a simple '65 or '66 notchback coupe........bixarre world isn't it?

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
It was still enough for many people to want a '72 to '73 'stang. It was enough for the guy who bought mine that was 100% stock, finished in light metallic pewter with the blacked-out hood etc to have the car reprayed in resale red, and the next buyer (who had the car for 20 years), presumably another James Bond fan bought it for the same reason.
The guy I bought the SCJ from originally would buy a low mileage 1 or 2 year old yank regularly. Again he saw the film, decided he really wanted a '71 Mach 1 and 'ordered' a 351 auto from one of the UK wheeler dealers of 'the day'. When he got the car I seem to recall it was only about 18 months old with about 12000 miles. But he was really pee'd off with thefuel consumption from of 375 hp 429 and 4.11 detroit locker axle and considered he had been badly 'turned over' buying it. He wasn't aware of its rareity.......but reality is that rareity doesn't always translate to desireability does it? - I loved 'rare' USA Ford's - but '71 - '73 has never had the same 'pull' as a '69 or '70. In turn these have never had the 'pull' of a '67 or '68........and the there are the people prepared to pay stupid sums of money for a simple '65 or '66 notchback coupe........bixarre world isn't it?
I’ve always loved the 71-73 mustangs because of “diamonds are forever” that fastback slant/angle is great. That pewter colour is one of the best, especially with the black hood. The 429ci was the ultimate but its thirst for fuel was frightening. I can remember when the exchange and mart was full of “Mach 1’s they certainly were “the car” to have in the early to mid 70”s, .

Roscobbc

I’ve always loved the 71-73 mustangs because of “diamonds are forever” that fastback slant/angle is great. That pewter colour is one of the best, especially with the black hood. The 429ci was the ultimate but its thirst for fuel was frightening. I can remember when the exchange and mart was full of “Mach 1’s they certainly were “the car” to have in the early to mid 70”s, .
Even though larger and heavier than previous hi-po Mustangs the driving dynamics were superior (just).......except when it came to the cabin. Very similar in concept to 'todays' run-out Camaro's.......so due to extreme angle of rear windscreen view 'out back' was effectively through a 2" high 'slot' (zero when raining). With high dashboard, low seat position and roof and side windows too high the forward and side visibilty was very poor. View when reserving was minimal - you'd need to prop your body up over the drivers windoe opening, twist your body and hang your head out of the window or door opening......almost do-able with an auto transmission, impossible in a manual. As I said much like a current Camaro.......like driving around in a postbox......but from the inside looking out!

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Even harder to see when rear Louvre’s were fitted. Another period fad that I’ve always loved. I tacked them onto many of my cars in my youth. In most cases it made them easier to sell.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
A friend bought a new 71 429SCJ, he worked for Ford at the time and got the usual large employee discount. He was a bit of a Fri/sat night street racer. He said that car could pass anything but a gas station. The dodge/Plymouth 440’s came close but he always managed to win. He kept it until the 1973 oil crisis and then got a Pinto, which he loved.
Once the crisis was over, he got a 6 month old DeTomaso pantera from the company executive pool real cheap.