Removing and fitting uj’s

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all , just reading about removing and fitting new joints to driveshaft and halfshaft uj’s. Seems it’s wise when pressing or hammering caps out of the half shaft yokes , to support the yoke with an old outer flange bolted to it. This prevents the yoke from getting bent . Wondered if A) anyone has done this and B) if anyone has an old flange under the bench I could buy ?
Any thoughts appreciated. TiA 👍

Oneball

CCCUK Member
I just do it on the vice jaws. To get it moving do it on a flat surface, there’s probably 1/8” before it gets to the outside edge.

Oneball

CCCUK Member
If it’s a real struggle, using on old socket on one side and pressing it in a vice always work to start them moving. That’s how is push them in.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
If it’s a real struggle, using on old socket on one side and pressing it in a vice always work to start them moving. That’s how is push them in.
Tried the socket in the vice, tried soaking with wd40 and tapping the socket onto the caps with s hammer, no movement on sny of them yet. 🤔

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
How about heating up the outer parts with a torch or Butane to allow that part to expand
and see if that helps loosens up to allow movement to do what you need to do ?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
How about heating up the outer parts with a torch or Butane to allow that part to expand
and see if that helps loosens up to allow movement to do what you need to do ?
I actually tried that too , I was reluctant to bash too hard so will give them more soaking of wd . No hurry as up country twice this week so hopefull they willvstart to ease up in time . 👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I actually tried that too , I was reluctant to bash too hard so will give them more soaking of wd . No hurry as up country twice this week so hopefull they willvstart to ease up in time . 👍
Pos a silly question, if i strip both ends of half shaft, does it matter which end the flange joint goes? The shaft looks the same or should I mark the end that the flange jount comes off 🤔👍

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Are you trying to push the whole thing through. I think the holes have a shoulder. You can’t push a cap further in than the shoulder. Hope that makes sense.

Try putting the unattached ends of the cross on the vice jaws. Get an old socket that’s bigger than the cap and hit it downwards on the end of the yoke .

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Are you trying to push the whole thing through. I think the holes have a shoulder. You can’t push a cap further in than the shoulder. Hope that makes sense.

Try putting the unattached ends of the cross on the vice jaws. Get an old socket that’s bigger than the cap and hit it downwards on the end of the yoke .
I have been working the caps in and out to get them moving. Some have been so stubborn to start.I have knocked the caps down as far as the shoulder then the other one is half protruding , I then waggle that cap out and then the cross wiggles out. One end to go. Then will clean and de burr yokes , de grease and re paint and then as soon as the new joints arrive I will have a go ar re, assembly of shafts.
The spare propshaft I bought was I think off an auto so has different size yokes. I managed to find a dana spicer combination uj that is made for connecting mis matched shafts and is 1310 seriesone way and 1330 series the other . if anyone has the same issue the part number is a,
Dana spicer 5-134X. 👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I have been working the caps in and out to get them moving. Some have been so stubborn to start.I have knocked the caps down as far as the shoulder then the other one is half protruding , I then waggle that cap out and then the cross wiggles out. One end to go. Then will clean and de burr yokes , de grease and re paint and then as soon as the new joints arrive I will have a go ar re, assembly of shafts.
The spare propshaft I bought was I think off an auto so has different size yokes. I managed to find a dana spicer combination uj that is made for connecting mis matched shafts and is 1310 seriesone way and 1330 series the other . if anyone has the same issue the part number is a,
Dana spicer 5-134X. 👍
All dismantled, had to bash a fair bit to get thrm moving, Ihas to cut the spder to get it out of the yoke . These half shafts and prop are only a spare set that I am refurbing so I have them all ready to go if needs be. . Has anyone gone down the powder coat route prior to putting all back together ? 👍

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
All dismantled, had to bash a fair bit to get thrm moving, Ihas to cut the spder to get it out of the yoke . These half shafts and prop are only a spare set that I am refurbing so I have them all ready to go if needs be. . Has anyone gone down the powder coat route prior to putting all back together ? 👍
Back again. Half shaft uj’s should be here tomorrow, just removed the two driveshaft uj’s , these came out easily ! I have replaced the front one that bolts to the slip yoke. However I am not completely happy that the spring clips are seated well enough , any tips to get more of the clip into the groove ? TiA 👍810647AE-3BE8-4AA4-987C-AA20821ED91B.jpegA0F0C0DE-FB42-4C73-8590-D5B999EC9AE0.jpeg

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
They don’t look in at all

Can you compare the thickness of the clips with the old ones?
Yes they were only partly in , I emery cloth’d the clips and cleaned out the grooves more and seem in now. The half shaft joint caps seem very very tight in the yokes. I emmery’d the yokes enough to get the old caps in enough to feel like they would press in fairly easily in the vice but the new caps dont feel like they would fit easily. I think done more emmery needed yet rather than try to force them in. 🤔👍

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
Have you tried giving the clips a gentle tap with a punch to seat them back into the groove?
If there’s doubt about their thickness, try the old clips. If the old clips don’t fit either, perhaps the caps need pushing in more.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Have you tried giving the clips a gentle tap with a punch to seat them back into the groove?
If there’s doubt about their thickness, try the old clips. If the old clips don’t fit either, perhaps the caps need pushing in more.
The caps seem as far in as pos , I sanded down 1 clip and used 1old thinner clip , I will try yr punch idea 👍 thanks

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Have you got a 'mike' or vernier caliper to accurately measure and compare clips?
I have a vernier but my old eyes could tell the new clips are thicker. The propshaft is ok now, My main worry is how tight the new uj caps are in the old yokes, I feel I should relieve them a bit more rather than try to force them in and jam things up. 👍

Roscobbc

I have a vernier but my old eyes could tell the new clips are thicker. The propshaft is ok now, My main worry is how tight the new uj caps are in the old yokes, I feel I should relieve them a bit more rather than try to force them in and jam things up. 👍
Shame you don't know anyone with a horizontal surface grinder in their garden shed!

Forrest Gump

CCCUK regional rep
When caps are pressed in, it‘s quite possible that the yoke becomes fractionally squeezed (particularly the outer driveshaft one). This will obviously affect how the caps sit and the float/ tightness of the UJ.

btw, to gauge any difference in thickness of the clips, close the verniers onto the old clips, then without moving the vernier jaws, see if the new clips slip in! You don’t need to read it. When I did my apprenticeship we weren’t allowed to use a digital vernier or micrometer - that was cheating! It was the original type where you look for the aligned marks. I’ve still got an old school one and it is a struggle to see the marks these days!