Shift plate refresh.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Hi all, anyone had much success doing a cosmetic refresh on their centre console shifter plate. I have re freshed the passenger side dash panel with the storage wallet attached and the lower kick panel vents, and my horn button and now want to do the shift plate . My sliding ash tray door is a little untidy, how did you all approach it? Thinking of trim paint or I did wonder if a satin black wrap material may wear better as it slides back and forth ? Any thoughts? ๐Ÿ‘

antijam

CCCUK Member
I painted the door and the rest of the panel without masking, then removed primer and paint from all the chrome highlights.

Letank

CCCUK Member
I also did the shifter plate on my old 73 with a satin black rattle can. The sliding ashtray door can be removed and painted separately. Mine was really loose and would sometimes slide when I got on and off the gas, so I took the opportunity to fit new guide trims whilst it was out. It was then perfect with a nice bit of resistance to it.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
I also did the shifter plate on my old 73 with a satin black rattle can. The sliding ashtray door can be removed and painted separately. Mine was really loose and would sometimes slide when I got on and off the gas, so I took the opportunity to fit new guide trims whilst it was out. It was then perfect with a nice bit of resistance to it.
Thanks for that info ๐Ÿ‘

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Thanks ๐Ÿ‘my project for this wet few days

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Thanks ๐Ÿ‘my project for this wet few days
Nearly done, came up well and tidied it right up, so it all matches I decided to satin black the wooden gear knob, I never thought it looked stock enough and was about to buy a hurst black chrome ball , this will do for now and saved me a bit of cash too ๐Ÿ‘9956E406-DA19-43FD-A3FD-0EA9B0A4D487.jpeg0076BCB0-81EE-467E-86EC-DA5AA549C6DA.jpeg

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Nearly done, came up well and tidied it right up, so it all matches I decided to satin black the wooden gear knob, I never thought it looked stock enough and was about to buy a hurst black chrome ball , this will do for now and saved me a bit of cash too ๐Ÿ‘View attachment 24606View attachment 24607
One query, whilst removing the ash tray and cigarette lighter a bulb and holder dropped out from somewhere , as yet I haveโ€™nt worked out how and where it goes back . ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ‘

Letank

CCCUK Member
One query, whilst removing the ash tray and cigarette lighter a bulb and holder dropped out from somewhere , as yet I haveโ€™nt worked out how and where it goes back . ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ‘
On a manual I think the only place it could have come from is the heater control unit? Unless there is a redundant bulb holder on the harness that would serve to light up the shifter position on an auto box?

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Nearly done, came up well and tidied it right up, so it all matches I decided to satin black the wooden gear knob, I never thought it looked stock enough and was about to buy a hurst black chrome ball , this will do for now and saved me a bit of cash too ๐Ÿ‘View attachment 24607

Will that knob paint come off onto your hand, or did you clear coat it or something to prevent flaking off ?

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
On a manual I think the only place it could have come from is the heater control unit? Unless there is a redundant bulb holder on the harness that would serve to light up the shifter position on an auto box?
Thanks, hopefully it will become apparent on refitting it all๐Ÿ‘

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
I will have to see how it wears, if not I will buy a new one ๐Ÿ‘

How about this ?

Here are some nice ones

Also, sweet looking

Cheap ones