Some oldies stuffed with LS Engines

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Here are a few of the vehicles I custom tuned when they were converted to use LS engines and modern auto trannies

1.jpg1b.jpg1c.jpg1d.jpg1f.jpg1g.jpg1h.jpg

plastic orange

CCCUK Member
Here's my 1998 Camaro powered 1950 Morris Minor. It's running the stock tune, but has no cats, and an LS6 intake. It manages 32mpg and has done a best of 12.2 @116 on a no prep track. I'm sure it could be improved with a decent tune, but it seems not many folk want to touch the early pcm for fear of bricking it. I've owned this car since 1972 and it's ran the LS motor for 10 years without issues.

Attachments

• Horace Rhynd.jpg
    Horace Rhynd.jpg
    209.9 KB · Views: 5

plastic orange

CCCUK Member
Here's my other LS (vortec) powered car - a 1953 Chevy Bel Air. It was modified in the US in Carlsbad and had a complete turnkey engine supply 375hp LQ4 crate motor fitted. This really runs good, but it has an MEFI-4 pcm fitted with I believe a locked tune. Whilst it runs very well as it was set up by Turnkey when it was fitted, the mpg isn't great and if it expires I'll go for something tuneable in the UK. It seems a very basic system being speed density with no O2 sensors, so a decent system would see an improvement I'm sure. It's more a cruiser rather than a racer, but it is pretty sharp for what it is. It has a TCI front clip with power steering, 700R box and Ford explorer rear axle.

Pete

Attachments

• tink carpet.jpg
    tink carpet.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 5

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Here's my 1998 Camaro powered 1950 Morris Minor. It's running the stock tune, but has no cats, and an LS6 intake. It manages 32mpg and has done a best of 12.2 @116 on a no prep track. I'm sure it could be improved with a decent tune, but it seems not many folk want to touch the early pcm for fear of bricking it. I've owned this car since 1972 and it's ran the LS motor for 10 years without issues.

Nothing wrong in doing tunes to any of the 97-2004 Y and F bodies
They use PCMs with flash memory and as long is the voltage level is correct no issues doing the tune process
either on or off board
I have tuned many of these over 20 plus years

99Ta.jpg

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Here's my other LS (vortec) powered car - a 1953 Chevy Bel Air. It was modified in the US in Carlsbad and had a complete turnkey engine supply 375hp LQ4 crate motor fitted. This really runs good, but it has an MEFI-4 pcm fitted with I believe a locked tune. Whilst it runs very well as it was set up by Turnkey when it was fitted, the mpg isn't great and if it expires I'll go for something tuneable in the UK. It seems a very basic system being speed density with no O2 sensors, so a decent system would see an improvement I'm sure. It's more a cruiser rather than a racer, but it is pretty sharp for what it is. It has a TCI front clip with power steering, 700R box and Ford explorer rear axle.

Pete

If PCM is not locked and tuneable
What is needed to be changed to correct the AFR is the predicted air mass values of Volumetric Efficiency tables be changed and the fuel injectors pulse width ON times as changes in elevation and weather changes

sdve.jpg

plastic orange

CCCUK Member
Thanks for your input. When I purchased the car I expected it to have the GM pcm and had to ask online to find out what was fitted after taking a pic of it. It appears that others have had issues when they have encountered problems with Turnkey supplied MEFI- 4's and have found they no longer support or sell them, and in 1 case couldn't unlock the tune they'd installed. The car does run really nice though, but I'd guess it's batch firing hence the poor mpg. As I've said earlier I'll run as is until it fails, then decide then what to do. It's as quick as my C5 off the line, so it's not slow, and engine is the quietest and nicest running of my 3 LS motors.
Am I correct in thinking that the 98 LS pcm's don't need licence credits to tune them? I've put off doing any power enhancements on this engine due to finding a willing tuner. I did ask Frost in the US about a mail order tune some time ago, but he said he wouldn't touch one. I'm considering a nitrous option as a solution for a bit more go on the strip.

Cheers,

Pete

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
The stock GM PCM has 2 80 pin connectors, one is labeled red, and the other is blue
GM part number ends with 0411, so from that you could tell if really a stock one or not
This PCM design was used in many GM vehicles from 1997 to 2004 timeframe, so easy to find used ones for sale

Depends on what tuning tool you use, being you mention needing "credits" / license means ether HPtuners or Efilive
Neither do anything for free, suspect as being a 1998 model would be one credit you would have to buy and that is
if the PCM is GM's
I consider a tuner "locking" the PCM, real low lifes, not their property, I have never locked any vehicle I have tuned

IF locked, then only the tuning tool brand could unlock the PCM
Else your screwed and would need another PCM and do a quality performance tune
Depending on what you use or if getting a tuning flash tool as I use, I can do the tuning via emails
or if PCM not locked I could do off-board tuning if PCM shipped to me but be best having the tuning tool
as that way now or in the future, and you make mod changes I can email updated tunes

If the vehicle also has the Fbody auto tranny that also is controlled in the PCM and sound like you need tunes for
both engine and A4

s-l1600.jpg

plastic orange

CCCUK Member
The 411 pcm is 99 onwards, mine is the earlier one which I believe is 97/98 only and isn't well supported. A lot of folk upgrade to the 411 pcm and re-pin the harness to suit. When i bought my engine/box/harness package back in 2008 I sent it off to Craig at Dynatorque to get vats removed and bought a license for efi live. Craig said he'd never seen a pcm like mine before, but managed to remove vats ok. From what I can find online, it appears that hp tuners doesn't work with my pcm and efi live doesn't require any credits due to it's operating system.
It is the mefi-4 unit in my Bel air that I believe is locked, and that has it's own tuning suite which is very expensive and limited to this application.

Cheers,

Pete

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
97-98 F & Y body has as early design of the 99-04 0411 PCM
there was a period when GM moved from the 94-95 design, but those also can be tuned
As you mention, and I have done is move the wiring to PCM from the early models to later ones

97/98 Camaro PCMs still sell like on Ebay as low as $50 as shown below, and the calibration is about the same as 1999 MY as shown below

Eflive charges as per set of years/models, so paying for a license for say 97-98 F-body than all those are included in that license
Whereas HPtuners charges per PCM so buying that credit, then PCM fails, replace PCM requires buying another license

I use Efilive when remote customers have that, for emailing them tunes

98ta.jpg

98-02pcm.jpg98camarotune.jpg98camaropcm.jpg