Speedometer

Vetman

CCCUK Member
I took my 75 to Goodwood FoS and noticed that the Speedo needle was swinging about 10 mph, say 50 to 60.
I later noticed that the oedometer was not rolling over. I have a TH400 transmission.
Any ideas for what the problem may be?

Roscobbc

I took my 75 to Goodwood FoS and noticed that the Speedo needle was swinging about 10 mph, say 50 to 60.
I later noticed that the oedometer was not rolling over. I have a TH400 transmission.
Broken cable

Emc

Supporting vendor
It will ba a bad cable sticking and the odometer gear in the head unit has worn out, a common thing, I have the parts cheapest in the uk

TimP

CCCUK Member
I would agree on the odometer gears being worn or broken. I think I am right in saying that this is quite a common failure as the original worm gear is plastic and wears away over time when used against the metal gear. You can see the plastic plastic particles at the bottom of the unit in the photo below.
The other photo shows the damping mechanism and spring which maybe faulty but if the gears are clicking on each other rather than meshing you may get the wobbly effect you are seeing.
Instruments 1.jpg Instruments 2.jpg

Getting the speedo unit out and dissembling it is a bit of a piglet but it can be done. As stripping the speedo is quite fiddly I highly recommend decaf coffee and a box of beta blockers. And if you have eyesight like mine, a decent magnifying glass helps too.

There are some more pictures on my projects 'blog' on pages 4 and 5. Hope this helps.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
What happens if I do nothing?
You will always be going faster than you think you are . :LOL: Mine packed up a couple of weeks ago too but haven`t the time to delve into it yet . I am currently relying on RPM matched to what gear I am in which is probably more accurate than the way the speedo bounced about before finally packing up . :(

Roscobbc

Speedo on mine has always been under optimistic......70 will read as 50 for example. In over 20 years I've checked the drive gear in the gearbox - that is correct for the 3.08 rear end. Earlier-on I simply learned the specific 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 mph rpms in top gear......must admit that learning/remembering them in lower ratios was a struggle. Nowadays I use an old TomTom for a speedo function. I'm sure others on here will testify to the fact that with a more powerful car (in my case, perhaps considerbly more powerful) the very last thing you have time to look at is the speedo......just too much going on keeping it all in a straight line - aftermarket shift indicator light/rev limiter helps........

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Speedo on mine has always been under optimistic......70 will read as 50 for example. In over 20 years I've checked the drive gear in the gearbox - that is correct for the 3.08 rear end. Earlier-on I simply learned the specific 30, 40, 50, 60 and 70 mph rpms in top gear......must admit that learning/remembering them in lower ratios was a struggle. Nowadays I use an old TomTom for a speedo function. I'm sure others on here will testify to the fact that with a more powerful car (in my case, perhaps considerbly more powerful) the very last thing you have time to look at is the speedo......just too much going on keeping it all in a straight line - aftermarket shift indicator light/rev limiter helps........
I have long maintained that with our draconian and almost zero tolerance speed camera infested roads , drivers are at bigger risk of causing accidents by constantly studying their speedo`s than concentrating on the road ahead .

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I gauge my speed in the Vette by how easily I can hear the wife. If I can hear her talking, I'm below 70mph. If I can hear her whilst very loud talking, I'm doing 70mph. If I can't hear her at all, then I'm doing more than 70 :ROFLMAO:

Jokes aside, my speedo is wrong too as the rear diff has been changed from 3.70 to 3.08 at some point in its life. Like Ross, I've learnt roughly the revs to speed ratio, and sometimes use my phone with a GPS speedo on it.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
I gauge my speed in the Vette by how easily I can hear the wife. If I can hear her talking, I'm below 70mph. If I can hear her whilst very loud talking, I'm doing 70mph. If I can't hear her at all, then I'm doing more than 70 :ROFLMAO:

Jokes aside, my speedo is wrong too as the rear diff has been changed from 3.70 to 3.08 at some point in its life. Like Ross, I've learnt roughly the revs to speed ratio, and sometimes use my phone with a GPS speedo on it.
My exhaust is loud enough to hardly hear my wife at 30 mph so at 70 mph + I got no chance . Heaven ! 🤣

Roscobbc

I laugh when people talk about the OEM GM radio. Mines even a AM/FM unit but with its merge 2 watt or similar output the way way you can hear anything is when the car is stationary with the engine off. In this weather the roofs are off, rear window out, side windows down and at cruise speeds I can't even hear the mobile phone (or hear anyone talking if I picked it up)

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
My car came fitted with a modern aftermarket radio / CD . Tried it once for all of 5 mins , no point as can hardly hear a thing , like wise the mobile that gets stuffed in the glove box and forgotten about . I just take the roof panels off and turn the engine up . 😁

teamzr1

Supporting vendor

There are vendors who sell the gears to swap in to regain the correct MPH being reported like this one

Or Speedometer Driven Gears

Read this Is Your Speedometer Inaccurate? Here Are A Few Tips To Correct It

Doing the math

Read attached PDF

Attachments

• ado-3860345.pdf
    166.1 KB · Views: 1

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
There are vendors who sell the gears to swap in to regain the correct MPH being reported like this one

Or Speedometer Driven Gears

Read this Is Your Speedometer Inaccurate? Here Are A Few Tips To Correct It

Doing the math

Read attached PDF
Thanks Team, I've read up on that previously and know I need to change out the speedo gear. Just keep forgetting to check what I've already got in there, so I can do the maths to work out what I need.

Vetman

CCCUK Member
Thanks Team, I've read up on that previously and know I need to change out the speedo gear. Just keep forgetting to check what I've already got in there, so I can do the maths to work out what I need.
As a ‘temporary’ solution I have fitted a gps speedometer. This uses a 5v usb power supply. Cheap on Amazon. I am surrounded by 20 mph traffic zones so didn’t want to risk having to take a ‘speed awareness course’ for racing along at 23mph.
I fitted a different type to my regular car for the same reason.
66138861-55CE-4676-B257-578342F8914D.jpegD3F7F68B-E481-4E2B-BF4E-66F7098CD26D.jpeg