Steering wheel - no room for my legs as over 6ft 1 " Before and after pictures attached ..What do other C2 owners do ?

Roscobbc

My 16" wheel (I think) '68 used the same size wheel as a '67 C2. I simply went to an aftermarket 'flat' dish wheel - no issue then with legs, gut and gonads. Hope you have power steering though!

Anglia318

Regular user
My 16" wheel (I think) '68 used the same size wheel as a '67 C2. I simply went to an aftermarket 'flat' dish wheel - no issue then with legs, gut and gonads. Hope you have power steering though!
Thanks for the advice ....the car is ac - power steering -side pipe 327 Coupe ..you can see the car...and the work i have done on my u tube page ...https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq3vuxbKf59NzP3VF5B0wew

Roscobbc

I found that even though I'm a mere 5'9" tall I still need to have seat adjustment all the way back. With the C2 sized dished wheel it was still too close. So istalled the old Mountney one 20+ years ago. Indictor stalk is a bit too far 'out' from the wheel and due to the smaller wheel diameter the effort required to turn it is a fair bit more......but a perfect balance IMHO with weight of clutch and manual shifter.
drivers side interior Vette.jpgPassenger side interior Vette.jpg

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I’m 5’ 10” and never had a problem in either coupe or convertible with standard steering wheels.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Standard wheel is I think 16” as they were all pretty big diameter in those days. They make replica smaller ones in 15” and I think 14” as well. Does not seem much different but it will make it easier getting in/out.
Possible extended seat runners to allow the seat to go back a couple of inches.? Every little helps.

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Corvettes were not made for tall people. Bit like Ferrari’s who were made for a height of 5’ 10”. My old boss had terrible trouble getting in/out of his Testarossa, he was 6’ 2”. One of the reasons he never drove it. Spent all its time in the NCP in Queen Victoria street.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
This topic has been raised in the past . I am only 5` 9" and have the seat in my C3 only one click off full travel . The car came a Grant GT deep dish wheel fitted and having the tilt adjustable column helps no end getting in and out .Corvette interior.JPG

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Yes, the tilt/tel steering column was/is great especially on corvettes. Quite rare on mid years, more common on C3’s . I think word spread that it was a very handy option.
Always loved the swing-away wheel on Thunderbirds. What an option. Made it so easy for people to enter/exit.
Looked pretty neat as well. I remember showing it to some kids at school. They had never seen anything like it.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Corvettes were not made for tall people. Bit like Ferrari’s who were made for a height of 5’ 10”. My old boss had terrible trouble getting in/out of his Testarossa, he was 6’ 2”. One of the reasons he never drove it. Spent all its time in the NCP in Queen Victoria street.
Size does matter matter !! Marcos cars were made for tall people . The seats were built in a fixed reclining `race car` style hard up against the rear bulkhead . The peddle box was adjustable for and aft by worm gear . Early cars were manually adjusted by a knob under the dash and later cars like the one I had were electrically operated . Designer Jem Marsh was 6` 6" and he made cars to suite him and sod everybody else !!

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
There was probably quite a few prospective buyers who went into their local Chevrolet dealer to buy a corvette only to find out they couldn’t actually fit into it. Let’s be fair quite a few Americans are overweight.

antijam

CCCUK Member
You think 'Vettes are difficult, try my MG!

P1370237.JPG
I'm 6' 2" ( or at least I was when I bought the car in 1966, age has taken a toll on my stature ). I can still recall the ease with which, in my twenties I would without a thought, slide gracefully behind the wheel. Nowadays it's a task requiring serious planning and contortions normally only possible after major surgery. In comparison the 'Vette is a doddle ! :)

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Thanks for the advice ....the car is ac - power steering -side pipe 327 Coupe ..you can see the car...and the work i have done on my u tube page ...https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCq3vuxbKf59NzP3VF5B0wew

Great job bringing that one back and using the original parts. Some of the out of focus pics on the u tube interior video hurt my eyes o_O

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
You think 'Vettes are difficult, try my MG!

View attachment 26003
I'm 6' 2" ( or at least I was when I bought the car in 1966, age has taken a toll on my stature ). I can still recall the ease with which, in my twenties I would without a thought, slide gracefully behind the wheel. Nowadays it's a task requiring serious planning and contortions normally only possible after major surgery. In comparison the 'Vette is a doddle ! :)
People were definitely thinner in those days. 😂

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
There was probably quite a few prospective buyers who went into their local Chevrolet dealer to buy a corvette only to find out they couldn’t actually fit into it. Let’s be fair quite a few Americans are overweight.
Only quite a few ????

Roscobbc

Only quite a few ????
Been heading that way here for a good few years......with the current McDonalds/KFC and similar fired and junk food generation it'll be interesting to see whether they or their parents 'kick the bucket' first!

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Been heading that way here for a good few years......with the current McDonalds/KFC and similar fired and junk food generation it'll be interesting to see whether they or their parents 'kick the bucket' first!
I allow myself one bucket of KFC a year and know I'll feel like shit afterwards buy hey ho. At least you get a bucket to spew up in

Vetman

CCCUK Member
Is that the ‘Family Bucket’ ?