What have you done today ?

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
This shit cold and wet weather is really getting on my tits now he says just as the clouds clear and the sun shines brightly..

Spent a few hours in the garage fettling / checking the Vetts ready for better weather in May :rolleyes:

The SB '65 needs a new starter motor and maybe an alternator as it was only putting out 13.2 volts.

Haven't looked at what looks like a vacuum leak on the C3 yet

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
This shit cold and wet weather is really getting on my tits now he says just as the clouds clear and the sun shines brightly..

Spent a few hours in the garage fettling / checking the Vetts ready for better weather in May :rolleyes:

The SB '65 needs a new starter motor and maybe an alternator as it was only putting out 13.2 volts.

Haven't looked at what looks like a vacuum leak on the C3 yet
Totally with you there Mr.C. Totally pee`d off with constantly changing plans and umming and aahring about what to do on any given day . Likewise here now , the sky is blue and the sun is shining !! We only live 7 miles from Silverstone Circuit as the crow flies and as we got nearer to home the roads were dry like it hadn`t rained since we left home in the rain early morning . :( But anyone who has ever been to Silverstone will know it has it`s own eco climate . On the rare occasions it is hot , it`s like the Sahara with no respite from the sun , and the rest of the time it`s , windy , cold or wet . But then WW2 bomber bases were always built on exposed locations . I guess the higher you took off the less higher you had to climb !! :ROFLMAO:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Nearly worn a cow path in the southern section of the A5 yesterday and today in C3 as the weather has been so good . 20 degrees Celsius in South Northants today yet only a maximum of 9 Celsius on Sunday at Silverstone !!!! Bloody weather in this country , no wonder us Brits talk about it so much !!
At least a chance to have a few nice runs out to do menial tasks like shopping in Stoney Stratford and a run to a garden centre as well as treating ` er indoors` to lunch out . Unfortunately my plan to attend the Americana themed Earls Barton Classic Car Meet tomorrow evening has been knocked on the head because the show ground is waterlogged for the second month in a row . :cry:

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
It happened finally and top down to boot

20240501_191315_resized.jpg

The blue coupe didn't do so well leaving me with a flat battery all but 1 mile away at the petrol station. Alt is kicking out just 13.2amps so need to change that and I have a spare although it needs a plug adaptor which is £35.00 for 6" of wire and two little plastic plugs. Outrageous.

Ignore the wife's pond project in the background :rolleyes:

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Biggles takes to the skies !!😎 . Glorious sunny morning to fire up the C3 and drive over to Sywell Airport , home of the last few CCCUK Nationals for a 60 minute trial flight in a Microlight . Although sitting on it ( in the red flight suite ) Corvette at home.JPGSywell 3.JPGSywell.JPGSywell 2.JPGSywell 4.JPGGypsy Moth.jpgis a more apt description rather than in it !! Perfect weather with glorious sunshine although a bit bouncy at times at 2200 feet :eek:
It was certainly quite an experience so that`s another box courtesy of a Christmas present from my darling wife .
The big boys were out too with the P51 Mustang in action plus Tiger Moth and what I think might be a Curtiss or Gruman Bi Plane . The Spitfire was fired up but unfortunately didn`t fly and was pushed back in its hanger . The Corvette drew some attention from the airplane spotters armed with canon sizes telephoto lenses when we arrived making almost as much noise as the Spitfire !! :LOL:

Roscobbc

Yellow 'bipe' interestingly is a 'modern' radial powered Waco YMF-5-C, based on the famous original 1930's design and certification.

mickn

CCCUK Member
Took the C2 out and got a good soaking :rolleyes:. Played golf with my youngest son yesterday afternoon and heard a very distinctive sound above, bit of a surprise to see a Spitfire flying over although not that unusual as there is a 2 seater at the old HMS Daedalus site in Lee on Solent, which I have been fortunate enough to fly in a couple of years ago.

Roscobbc

Surprising perhaps when you have owned a car for 20+ years you get to know all its little foibles and characteristics........as yes, it certainly the same with my Vette........however over the obligatory winter 'lay-off' period when perhaps the car hasn't been used for 5 or 6 momths and all you've driven is a modern vehicle........how initially its a bit of surprise using the laid-off car for the first run-out of the season. And so it was this morning......I had spend a few days removing, cleaning and polishing wheels, carefully checking out brakes, calipers etc and all the fluids. Then cranking-over this morning for 15/20 seconds to double check oil pressure and draw some fuel-up into that greedy b'stard Pro Form 950 double pumper..........and off we go to the very local classic car meet. No drama's - no problems - perfect - I'd forgotten how penetrating the exhaust is on idle (good job the usual complaining next door neighbour was away) - I'd also forgotten (in comparison with modern cars) how heavy the clutch and non assisted brakes were......but you do 'feel' everything. Also surprised how tired I was afterwards......gotta be an 'age' thing!

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Took the C2 out and got a good soaking :rolleyes:. Played golf with my youngest son yesterday afternoon and heard a very distinctive sound above, bit of a surprise to see a Spitfire flying over although not that unusual as there is a 2 seater at the old HMS Daedalus site in Lee on Solent, which I have been fortunate enough to fly in a couple of years ago.
The Spitfire and Mustang are a common occurrence over our village and occasionally the Spanish version of the ME 109 . They are all from the Warbirds flight based at Sywell that`s only about 15 miles away as the crow flies . I had a Battle of Britain flight experience in a Harvard T6 Warbird last year that was awesome doing a simulated dog fight sequence with full loops and barrel rolls in the same way that young RAF pilots trained in the Harvard`s before being sent off to combat in Spitfires and Hurricanes . The world sure looks different upside down through the canopy !! Planes and cars , what`s not to like ?? The final photo is a publicity shot from a Wacky Rabbit.jpgDSCF2904.JPGDSCF2910.JPGCorvette.jpgSilverstone Social Classic Car Club event of the Vette cruising up perimeter strip at Turweston Airfield .

antijam

CCCUK Member
Took in the annual 'Wheelnuts' (get it?) show at Stroud, Gloucestershire today. Always an eclectic turnout and in large numbers too. Everything from fully functional steam cars (2) to a winged door McLaren. Quite a good show of vintage yanks this year.

Loved this Caddy...

.P1390115.JPG
....this Packard....

P1390114.JPG

...and this perhaps rather 'over-restomodded' Studebaker Commander !

P1390112.JPG

Rather light on Corvettes this year. Mine was the only C3......

P1390108.JPG

...and attracted a surprising amount of attention - mainly from women 'of a certain age' ! :unsure: I did spot a C5 in the distance as well - it's a very large show.

The term 'nicely patinated' usually translates as 'needs a complete rebuild' but this wonderful 1923 Morgan Grand Prix three-wheeler captured the concept of Patina perfectly.....

P1390117.JPG

Lovely evocative car. :)(y)

A good Show that started off in warm sunshine and ended unsurprisingly in rain. Saw some nice cars though and met some very nice people - great day!

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Blew some more dust off one today. Bringing them out of Winter slumber is always a knee-knocker.

Attachments

• 20240505_164337.jpg
    20240505_164337.jpg
    335 KB · Views: 3

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Just Google the registration no.
I did but but couldn`t find anything definitive . :(
Surprising perhaps when you have owned a car for 20+ years you get to know all its little foibles and characteristics........as yes, it certainly the same with my Vette........however over the obligatory winter 'lay-off' period when perhaps the car hasn't been used for 5 or 6 momths and all you've driven is a modern vehicle........how initially its a bit of surprise using the laid-off car for the first run-out of the season. And so it was this morning......I had spend a few days removing, cleaning and polishing wheels, carefully checking out brakes, calipers etc and all the fluids. Then cranking-over this morning for 15/20 seconds to double check oil pressure and draw some fuel-up into that greedy b'stard Pro Form 950 double pumper..........and off we go to the very local classic car meet. No drama's - no problems - perfect - I'd forgotten how penetrating the exhaust is on idle (good job the usual complaining next door neighbour was away) - I'd also forgotten (in comparison with modern cars) how heavy the clutch and non assisted brakes were......but you do 'feel' everything. Also surprised how tired I was afterwards......gotta be an 'age' thing!
Sounds like a merry jape old chap . Driving a classic always does keep you in touch with reality . As for your neighbour , he`s clearly got no soul !! Not like my neighbour who always rushes out of house when I bring the Vette home from the storage / workshop rental . He loves the sound and inhales the rich fumes of high octane fuel . :D

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Took in the annual 'Wheelnuts' (get it?) show at Stroud, Gloucestershire today. Always an eclectic turnout and in large numbers too. Everything from fully functional steam cars (2) to a winged door McLaren. Quite a good show of vintage yanks this year.

Loved this Caddy...

.View attachment 26137
....this Packard....

View attachment 26138

...and this perhaps rather 'over-restomodded' Studebaker Commander !

View attachment 26139

Rather light on Corvettes this year. Mine was the only C3......

View attachment 26141

...and attracted a surprising amount of attention - mainly from women 'of a certain age' ! :unsure: I did spot a C5 in the distance as well - it's a very large show.

The term 'nicely patinated' usually translates as 'needs a complete rebuild' but this wonderful 1923 Morgan Grand Prix three-wheeler captured the concept of Patina perfectly.....

View attachment 26146

Lovely evocative car. :)(y)

A good Show that started off in warm sunshine and ended unsurprisingly in rain. Saw some nice cars though and met some very nice people - great day!
SNAP !! That custom Studebaker was at the Silverstone Festival last year and I got chatting with the owner , it has a Vette engine in it . Also it`s small world because there used to be a Wheel Nuts meet at Sywell Airport but it seems to have fizzled out . Probably because it was held during the day on a weekday when only retired old farts like me could attend . :LOL:DSC_3114.JPGDSC_3115.JPG

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
I did but but couldn`t find anything definitive . :(

Sounds like a merry jape old chap . Driving a classic always does keep you in touch with reality . As for your neighbour , he`s clearly got no soul !! Not like my neighbour who always rushes out of house when I bring the Vette home from the storage / workshop rental . He loves the sound and inhales the rich fumes of high octane fuel . :D
At our last house we had a courtyard and high wrought iron gates. Washing the Vette a dog walker sees me and said oh this is where the Corvettes live then? Thinking I was in for some grief yes I said. You woke me up last Sunday at 06:30. Sorry 'bout that I offered 😄 it was the best wake up call I've ever had he said, the bedroom windows were shaking. Result!

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
My 90 + Lady neighbor head me returning from a show today and messaged the Mrs that all her memories came flooding back from the days of her hubby doing rally cross and can she have a ride soon (y)

Never trust the weather forecast.

Giving rain all week for our opening show of the season at the stunning Gawsworth Hall in Cheshire and not a drop was delivered thankfully. Great turnout of 20 Corvettes and of every generation C1-C8 - Big Block, Small Block, ZO6's, SWC, Anniversaries and a first place for best 'open top' :D Rupert the organiser would never call it a convertible. The best bit? Seeing friends not seen since our Christmas party :cool:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Sounds like the old jaguar description for the E-Type . OTS, open two seater. Very British indeed.

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
My 90 + Lady neighbor head me returning from a show today and messaged the Mrs that all her memories came flooding back from the days of her hubby doing rally cross and can she have a ride soon (y)

Never trust the weather forecast.

Giving rain all week for our opening show of the season at the stunning Gawsworth Hall in Cheshire and not a drop was delivered thankfully. Great turnout of 20 Corvettes and of every generation C1-C8 - Big Block, Small Block, ZO6's, SWC, Anniversaries and a first place for best 'open top' :D Rupert the organiser would never call it a convertible. The best bit? Seeing friends not seen since our Christmas party :cool: