What is it's purpose?

Blondie69

CCCUK Member
Good afternoon folks.
Trying to understand the workings of my car. Looks scary and as not mechanical/ electrical trained can someone help with this. Picture attached. Located on drivers side outside panel.
Many thanks - lots to learn...
IMG_20240204_130242_902.jpg

Roscobbc

Barb - its an early self-destruct device - basically a small section of Dynamite (installed perhaps in the states by a past owner) that explodes if the driver of the car doesn't 'exercise' the car enough - give it a good thrash every now and then and you'll be ok.

TBH I haven't a clue - I've long since learnt - if it ain't broke, don't even think of trying to fix it! - looks like some form of resistor or capacitor? - mines much the same.......odd cut wires, some spliced together, some disconnected........leave well alone unless something in the dash or engine compartment isn't working.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Good afternoon folks.
Trying to understand the workings of my car. Looks scary and as not mechanical/ electrical trained can someone help with this. Picture attached. Located on drivers side outside panel.
Many thanks - lots to lear
What year and model ? My first guess is a rather ancient type of electrical capacitor . Not come across anything looking like that like that in donkey`s years .

Blondie69

CCCUK Member
Barb - its an early self-destruct device - basically a small section of Dynamite (installed perhaps in the states by a past owner) that explodes if the driver of the car doesn't 'exercise' the car enough - give it a good thrash every now and then and you'll be ok.

TBH I haven't a clue - I've long since learnt - if it ain't broke, don't even think of trying to fix it! - looks like some form of resistor or capacitor? - mines much the same.......odd cut wires, some spliced together, some disconnected........leave well alone unless something in the dash or engine compartment isn't working.
😆 Yes it looks like the dynamite has exploded. The dash lights don't work but I think it looks like the driver side foot well light has been sniped off - could this mean the circuit has broken so no cabin lights work? Just a guess.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Would need to see more of that area to see where these wires go to
Maybe some alarm system ? But abandoned as wires cut

Need a photo that is showing more of that area

capwires.jpg

Blondie69

CCCUK Member
Would need to see more of that area to see where these wires go to
Maybe some alarm system ? But abandoned as wires cut

Need a photo that is showing more of that area

The capacity is cable tied up and not functional. Possibly alarm but should the driver side have an lighting in the footwell?IMG_20240204_144018_9.jpg

Stingray

CCCUK Member
Yes, that's an old-fashioned type of capacitor, often called condenser. It's cylindrical and probably waxy* because it's made out of strips of paper and metal foil that have been coiled together. The foil is "plates" that hold electrical charge, paper is the insulator between them and wax was used to stick it all together.

Capacitor has two possible functions,
1. Radio interference suppression, by suppressing certain frequencies. Suppression of interference is most difficult in cars with glass-fibre bodies which, unlike a steel body, have no screening effect.
2. Preventing momentary voltage drop to the attached component while the car is being cranked.

My bet is on 1. above in the particular application.

* Tip for Team-ZR-1. The presence of a condenser may or may not be an indicator of your favorite Corvette owner - the waxer.

Emc

Supporting vendor
It acts as a suppressor for the radio, there is 1 for the indicator flasher unit, 1 for the brake light, 1 for the hazzard flasher until, there is 1 for the distributor, not generally needed if a modern day radio has been fitted as they tend to have built in.

Blondie69

CCCUK Member
It acts as a suppressor for the radio, there is 1 for the indicator flasher unit, 1 for the brake light, 1 for the hazzard flasher until, there is 1 for the distributor, not generally needed if a modern day radio has been fitted as they tend to have built in.
Thank you for your knowledge 😊. It's got the original radio as found a sticker on the side but unfortunately not working. Another non urgent job for the list 😄. Music supplied by a portable speaker - if I can hear it over the fan noise 😂.

Blondie69

CCCUK Member
Good luck with that , access is a nightmare as I am sure you have discovered !!!
Good job I'm tiny. Haven't learnt the trick of contorted my body yet though 😂. Always something else to learn. Not looking forward to it, as it's a working car and scared I'll make it a non runner. But going to bite the bullet this week and get it done.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Thank you for your knowledge 😊. It's got the original radio as found a sticker on the side but unfortunately not working. Another non urgent job for the list 😄. Music supplied by a portable speaker - if I can hear it over the fan noise 😂.

At least from the angle of your fuse panel photo, check the radio fuse as it looks blown

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Yes, that's an old-fashioned type of capacitor, often called condenser. It's cylindrical and probably waxy* because it's made out of strips of paper and metal foil that have been coiled together. The foil is "plates" that hold electrical charge, paper is the insulator between them and wax was used to stick it all together.

Capacitor has two possible functions,
1. Radio interference suppression, by suppressing certain frequencies. Suppression of interference is most difficult in cars with glass-fibre bodies which, unlike a steel body, have no screening effect.
2. Preventing momentary voltage drop to the attached component while the car is being cranked.

My bet is on 1. above in the particular application.

* Tip for Team-ZR-1. The presence of a condenser may or may not be an indicator of your favorite Corvette owner - the waxer.

Here is a hot product that the waxers would really like and use :)

Everyone knows that temperature can have a great impact in your tire pressure.

This is why you absolutely should use the correct air for your tires!
For example, your car should usually have the tires set to 32psi.

If you are using summer air in the summer, this is fine. However!
If you use this summer air in the dead of winter, you may actually only be running at about 22psi!

Each can will do one average sized tire. Sold in sets of 1 each.

Using these will assure you win 1st place waxer 5 bucks trophies at car show you drive 200 miles for

be0CJwx.jpg

Last edited: