Wiper door clank query

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Happy easter All😁does anybody know if there should be a rubber cushion on the wiper door to stop it clanking on opening /closing?, Mine seems to open with a bit of a bang . Any advice welcome, TiA. 👍

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
No cushion on mine. I'd lube the pivot arms at either end and the little white spacers where the door attaches to the pivot arms or whatever they're called

Roscobbc

The wiper door on mine is rather noisy too.........has been for the last 24 years..........I'm a believer of the "If it aint broke" (or still manages to work acceptably) "don't even think about trying to fix it"........that is if you don't want to give yourself a whole lot of aggravation!

Last edited:

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
The wiper door on mine is rather noisy too.........has been for the last 24 years..........I'm a believer of the "If it aint broke" (or still manages to work acceptably) "don't even think about trying to fix it"........that is if you don't want to give yourself a whole lot of aggravation!
Good advice Ross. I removed my wiper door to clean out that trough area and what an absolute nightmare getting it back on it was. I invented new swear words and cursed GM to the heavens. Took me six or seven attempts with a walk around the garden in between composing myself before smashing the entire thing to pieces

Last edited by a moderator:

TimP

CCCUK Member
There are these (x2) on the underside of the wiper door. If they have gone a bit hard or gone missing then it might result in a clank on closing. Not sure it would make much difference on opening though....
Wiper-19.jpg

TimP

CCCUK Member
Thinking about it, the wiper door might open with a bit of a clang if the mechanism that connects the wiper door actuator to the wiper arm has got some play in it. It's this one here (see pic).... As reported earlier though, anything in this trough is a bit tricky to get to. You can get some access to the adjustment mechanism on the engine bay side inside the rubber bellows by the actuator. This actuator connects to the other end of the threaded hexagonal rod you can see on the left of the picture.
Wiper-8.jpg

Roscobbc

As with the headlamp flaps - one becomes very aware that getting a finger or other part of your anatomy in the way of the vacuum 'motors' could be extremely painful and result in injury...........

Last edited:

Mad4slalom

CCCUK Member
Thinking about it, the wiper door might open with a bit of a clang if the mechanism that connects the wiper door actuator to the wiper arm has got some play in it. It's this one here (see pic).... As reported earlier though, anything in this trough is a bit tricky to get to. You can get some access to the adjustment mechanism on the engine bay side inside the rubber bellows by the actuator. This actuator connects to the other end of the threaded hexagonal rod you can see on the left of the picture.
View attachment 25771
Thanks all , I did think mine had a bit of play, I will have a tentative look, have done a few “Doh” ! Fixes on saxophones where you slip a bit of cork in somewhere to stop a minor click in the action , only to find something else doesnt close or seal !😤🤣👍

CaptainK

CCCUK Member
I have a minor issue with my wipers nowadays, which do work fine, but the red "wiper override" light comes on when I use the wipers (even though the override switch is closed properly).

I cunningly solved this problem by not driving the C3 in the rain :ROFLMAO:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
I always thought the wiper door on 1968-72 corvettes was a bit gimmicky. It was problematic that’s why Chevrolet did away with it for the 1973 model year, and followed their “ normal” way of hiding wipers from view.
I remember going to Lendrum & Hartmans with Dad to look at the all new 1968 Corvette. I loved the pop up lights and wiper door, real cool to a 8 year old car mad kid.

Roscobbc

Perhaps I've been lucky - but never had a real 'issue' with the vacuum wiper 'flap' or headlamps........other than (since the uprated engine was fitted) the reduction of idle vacuum signal (due to uprated cam) can sometimes, even though there is a vacuum storage tank make the headlamps (not wiper flap) a little slower to activate than stock.........If we're talking about 'quirky'......how about the fibre optics!

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
Another Quirky “ GM fad was the hood mounted tachometer. Never liked it, as a kid I thought it looked strange .