1965 Corvette £37k

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
Wow, that does look lovely! What a price! Have you seen this one coming up for auction? Owned by anyone on here?

While not the big daddy Widow Maker L72 427/425 this is again, a genuine steal if it all checks out. Didn't see any mention of it being the original born-with drivetrain and a pic of the trim & VIN tags would be nice. A 427/390 can go for $100k plus in the States:

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
It just shows you the difference in values between the UK and USA re these old corvettes. That £37k works out at about $45k. I’m certain it would make quite a bit more stateside. Yes, the modifications would put the purists off, but the hard core purists are getting older and dying off. The younger generation don’t mind more modern engines and transmissions etc. as long as the car has the “look” they are happy with it.
The aftermarket A/C would help it a great deal in the southern states.
Me personally would have put red carpets in it to match the dash as factory, and it would bling it up a bit.

Last edited:

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
It just shows you the difference in values between the UK and USA re these old corvettes. That £37k works out at about $45k. I’m certain it would make quite a bit more stateside. Yes, the modifications would put the purists off, but the hard core purists are getting older and dying off. The younger generation don’t mind more modern engines and transmissions etc. as long as the car has the “look” they are happy with it.
The aftermarket A/C would help it a great deal in the southern states.
Me personally would have put red carpets in it to match the dash as factory, and it would bling it up a bit.
my '65 396 has that same under glove box AC outlet and a period correct GM compressor that I'm told was installed before it left the showroom after a change of heart by the original buyer. Works really well still

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
There wasn’t an abundance of A/C outlets on a mid year, the main one was above the clock in the centre of the dash. Original A/C dashes are worth a fortune on the used parts market and extremely hard to find.
Many dealers had to retro fit aftermarket A/C using two ball outlets and sometimes a block under the glovebox. The only trouble with that was you caught your legs on it. Mainly fitted to coupes as buyers didn’t realise how hot the cabin got.

Mr. Cricket

Committee Member
There wasn’t an abundance of A/C outlets on a mid year, the main one was above the clock in the centre of the dash. Original A/C dashes are worth a fortune on the used parts market and extremely hard to find.
Many dealers had to retro fit aftermarket A/C using two ball outlets and sometimes a block under the glovebox. The only trouble with that was you caught your legs on it. Mainly fitted to coupes as buyers didn’t realise how hot the cabin got.

Yes the same as mine but I ain't in the drinkers seat so banging my legs is a non issue :LOL: the directional 'ball' coolers are good though

Nassau65

CCCUK Member
That’s the thing with the corvette, it’s small inside so heats up pretty quick, but doesn’t need many A/C outlets to cool it down. The factory system only had three outlets, centre, Left side, right side. Most vintage are systems use Left and right side ball outlets and that does the job, and looks period stock.