1969 L88

stealthyflatfish

Well-known user
That's why I moved out of London 30 years ago, my personal work van was lifted three times in two weeks in Kensington/Chelsea area, cost me about £100 to get it back each time from Park Lane underground pound.
Decided it was time to get out of Dodge.

Roscobbc

When I was a kid, if you lived in Islington, you made out you lived somewhere else. It was a real run down area. Now it’s mega money. A friends parents still own the house they bought in the early 60’s. It was condemned when they bought it. Now I would think 1.5- 2.0 million. How times have changed.
Perhaps a non-Londoner won't realise but within London there are (er, perhaps were) several regional variations of accent. There's the East End accent, kinda merges with North London. It's the traditional 'Cockney' accent that people think is spoken in London. The North London accent is slightly different to East London and they would not just 'drop' the 'H's like East London but would also drop 'N's and G's - so Islington becomes Isliton. Then you have South London with Bermondsey, Old Kent Road, Elephant & Castle and district with a very definate 'twang'. Of course most of these variations will have disappeared totally within a few years, replaced by a mix of many other International accents.

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Perhaps a non-Londoner won't realise but within London there are (er, perhaps were) several regional variations of accent. There's the East End accent, kinda merges with North London. It's the traditional 'Cockney' accent that people think is spoken in London. The North London accent is slightly different to East London and they would not just 'drop' the 'H's like East London but would also drop 'N's and G's - so Islington becomes Isliton. Then you have South London with Bermondsey, Old Kent Road, Elephant & Castle and district with a very definate 'twang'. Of course most of these variations will have disappeared totally within a few years, replaced by a mix of many other International accents.
You`re `avin a larf Bruv ! :LOL:

richie500

CCCUK Member
Back in 1975 my 1975 C3 I was lucky to get 8 MPG, but 104 octane leaded gas was only 30 cents a gallon (and if you did a fill up they gave you a carton of smokes) and back then once out of town limits there was no speed limit at all

Never understood why my mileage was so bad :)

View attachment 13456

But you know when you want it, you need it

You cant post a picture of such a fine machine without giving out some numbers - engine/bhp/1/4 mile time please

Let's Go a Racing, Boys !

richie500

CCCUK Member
Come on chaps I thought this was the corvette club forum not the old gits forum moaning all the time :).
We should be laughing our socks off as most of us of a certain age had the best days ( the good old days) its the poor old younger members that i feel sorry for.
Forget this charge that charge, I remember every Friday and Saturday night riding up to Chelsea Bridge for car and bike meets, racing thro the streets of London, getting stopped by the old bill and just getting the usual slow down lads by some friendly copper. Now days its speed camera heaven and the police seem to be on targets to fine motorists as much as possible. Poor youngsters will probably have to take anti depressants if i told them about all the fun i got up to when i was younger which now is a definite no no...

Chuffer

CCCUK regional rep
Yes indeedy , us old farts sure had the best of it , the freedoms of the 60`s and the hedonism of the 70`s . But they also say that nostalgia is remembering things the way they weren`t . :LOL: