1981 Corvette - Timing Chain advice

V8Adam

Busy user
Hey everybody and Happy New Year!
I was after some recommendations for parts. I am wanting to replace the timing chain and gears on my 1981 Corvette. I am guessing it is a good idea to replace the water pump, gaskets and cover whilst there?

Do any of you have recommendations on the parts/manufacturers? If you're able to recommend anything from RockAuto, that would be great!

Oneball

CCCUK Member
Steel gears, duplex chain from a known make.
Not sure if I’d change the cover unless there’s a specific reason.
Check the harmonic balancer hasn’t separated while you’re at it.

johng

CCCUK Member
Can you remove/replace the timing cover without dropping the sump? I've not tried it on my car, but it can't be done on my boat engine.

Emc

Supporting vendor
Can you remove/replace the timing cover without dropping the sump? I've not tried it on my car, but it can't be done on my boat engine.
It can be done but it will require to remove bolts to lower the pan slightly, however then the gasket will be disturbed its best to remove the pan and fit a new gasket

V8Adam

Busy user
Just to let you guys know, I got the timing chain replaced and.....it was already a steel one lol! Still, not a wasted job as they also replaced the water pump and that turned out to be less than ideal and we recorded the rad. In addition the one I fitted was double roller and the one that came off was not. I've kept the old one for prosperity. Thanks again for your advice.