1990 - 1995 ZR-1 technical help

duster

CCCUK Member
Having just read Stuart Wilson's article titled 'Retiring To The Museum In The Lakes' in the April 2020 Vette News, I feel compelled to write. In the article, Stuart relays his experiences with his 1992 ZR-1, particularly after the car suffered a low engine oil pressure problem. He relates that he found it very difficult to obtain help within the UK and even considered giving the car away at one stage. Eventually, the Lakeland Motor Museum took the car with the intention of displaying it as an example of American Muscle.
I am lucky enough to own 2 ZR-1's, the first of which I have owned since 2002. I have just completed a full engine rebuild on the second one that I purchased 15 months ago. To carry out such a rebuild, LT5 Special Tools are a must for this engine, along with a full set of GM Workshop Manuals. Fortunately, I had purchased a full set of Kent Moore special tools shortly after I purchased my first ZR-1, anticipating that I might need them one day! Being technically minded, I was waiting for the chance to use them when along came a 1990 example which had suffered an engine problem - this is the second ZR-1 that I bought 15 months ago. The engine problem in this case was not caused by a design or maintenance issue, rather than an over jealous porting job carried out by the previous owner that had allowed water into No 3 bore. If I had twigged that Stuart was trying to find a buyer for his ZR-1, I would have snapped that up, believe me!!
My main point is that the 1990 - 1995 ZR-1's are great cars with a fabulous, almost bulletproof engine. Technically, the engine is advanced for a late 1980's design but not advanced compared to today's cars. The key things required are a full set of LT5 manuals (pretty easily obtainable for not much money) and LT5 special tools (can be purchased from sources in the USA). Parts availability is generally great using Jerrys Gaskets out in the US. But above all, there is a really great ZR-1 club, the ZR-1 Net Registry in the US. Members include very technically sound people, at least one of whom worked at Lotus during development of this engine. If a problem is posed on their forum, help in the form of sound advise will be immediately forthcoming. There is also a Facebook link in the UK - UK 1990-1995 ZR-1 Corvettes. So, please don't be put off buying a 1990 - 1995 ZR-1 Corvette - the engine is awesome!

Kicks on 66

CCCUK Member
Having just read Stuart Wilson's article titled 'Retiring To The Museum In The Lakes' in the April 2020 Vette News, I feel compelled to write. In the article, Stuart relays his experiences with his 1992 ZR-1, particularly after the car suffered a low engine oil pressure problem. He relates that he found it very difficult to obtain help within the UK and even considered giving the car away at one stage. Eventually, the Lakeland Motor Museum took the car with the intention of displaying it as an example of American Muscle.
I am lucky enough to own 2 ZR-1's, the first of which I have owned since 2002. I have just completed a full engine rebuild on the second one that I purchased 15 months ago. To carry out such a rebuild, LT5 Special Tools are a must for this engine, along with a full set of GM Workshop Manuals. Fortunately, I had purchased a full set of Kent Moore special tools shortly after I purchased my first ZR-1, anticipating that I might need them one day! Being technically minded, I was waiting for the chance to use them when along came a 1990 example which had suffered an engine problem - this is the second ZR-1 that I bought 15 months ago. The engine problem in this case was not caused by a design or maintenance issue, rather than an over jealous porting job carried out by the previous owner that had allowed water into No 3 bore. If I had twigged that Stuart was trying to find a buyer for his ZR-1, I would have snapped that up, believe me!!
My main point is that the 1990 - 1995 ZR-1's are great cars with a fabulous, almost bulletproof engine. Technically, the engine is advanced for a late 1980's design but not advanced compared to today's cars. The key things required are a full set of LT5 manuals (pretty easily obtainable for not much money) and LT5 special tools (can be purchased from sources in the USA). Parts availability is generally great using Jerrys Gaskets out in the US. But above all, there is a really great ZR-1 club, the ZR-1 Net Registry in the US. Members include very technically sound people, at least one of whom worked at Lotus during development of this engine. If a problem is posed on their forum, help in the form of sound advise will be immediately forthcoming. There is also a Facebook link in the UK - UK 1990-1995 ZR-1 Corvettes. So, please don't be put off buying a 1990 - 1995 ZR-1 Corvette - the engine is awesome!

Couldn’t agree more 👍🏻
“It’s a Corvette, only more so” - Dave McLellan

Roscobbc

I'll tell you what the ZR1 reminds me of........Ford's mid 60's SOHC 427 'cammer' engine. Never officially available in a road car - basic structure built off FoMoCo's famous 427 'Nascar' engine which WAS available in a road car it took everything you loved about the Ford's hot 427 cu in engine and just like the LT5 ZR1 engine simply moves everything a further 2000 rpm or so 'up the tree'.
One could look at Ford's current Coyote engine as having a similar link with their venerable 302 small block and just taking things 'up' a few thousand rpm..........except that with all that 'stuff' upstairs its an engine that is larger than even the largest big-block lump.....