1999 CORVETTE C5 FIXED ROOF COUPE - SOLD

STAYGOLD

CCCUK Member
Possibly one of only two or three in the country. I imported this black C5 FRC from Texas in May 2017. It has black Z06 wheels with new tyres, and under 5000 miles on a full engine rebuild which includes a rebore, new pistons, valves, valve springs, pushrods, bearings, timing chain, pumps, a TSP 224R mild road camshaft and long tube headers; a full gearbox rebuild with bearings, gears and clutch; new polyurethane suspension bushes all round; and lots of other little bits and pieces. Needs a little TLC after standing idle for a year since I bought my C6, but current MOT runs until November 2023. It’s a fun road car, for sure, with M3 handling, but would also make a fantastic track car. Looking for around £11,000, which considering the amount of work put into it over the years is extraordinary value. No tyrekickers or silly lowball offers, thanks. Can be seen in Darlington.

David Tremayne, 07989 385489

restspirit@aol.com

Attachments

• IMG_3537.JPEG
    IMG_3537.JPEG
    183.3 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_7966.jpeg
    IMG_7966.jpeg
    430.6 KB · Views: 57

STAYGOLD

CCCUK Member
Hi Robbie. It was first registered on January 1st, 1999. And as it's surplus to requirements, it's priced to sell.

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
is that year 2000 ? mileage ?
sounds like a very cheap car !!!!

Rare C5 as this is what was called "Billybob"
This was designed as a weekend racer, and was the movement from the coupe to the Z06
Non-removable (Targa top) roof, no full hatch, has a small trunk
All glass is thinner to save weight
Fewer electronics, no HUD, etc
Stiffer suspension
Was to reduce total weight, so better for racing

Being they were only made for a few years and not a lot of them made, for a racer worth more than a base coupe.

robbiew

CCCUK Member
glass is not thinner, only on Z06 where the windshield is thinner
made in 99 - 2000, 2001 z06 came out, still a very cheap car, dependent on mileage and any faults
I would like to think mine is worth more than 11k

teamzr1

Supporting vendor
Early on, the design for the FRC (Billy Bob) I cannot recall has a code like Z19, which had the thinner glass, cheap cloth seats, etc for a cheaper cost, but was dropped but then when Z06 came out in 2001 the thinner glass was added again

The Z06’s origins were hardly noble. Its original nickname was the “Billy Bob Corvette,” initially meant to be an entry-level model using fixed-roof or hardtop architecture, the third body style created for the C5.

The original concept was supposed to feature lower-cost cloth seats and manual lighter windows, but Chevy research would soon discover that the public had higher expectations of what a Corvette should be.
So the entry-level model was scrapped in favor of a slightly lower-priced performance coupe with leather seats and a manual-only transmission option.
The hardtop included the 345-hp LS1 engine and Z51 performance-handling package. Only five exterior colors were available.

Because of its fixed roof, it was 12-percent stiffer than the Corvette coupe and some 80 pounds lighter, which gave it a natural performance advantage over the other models. Price wise, the hardtop was about $2,000 less than the standard Corvette coupe.

Only 4,041 were built in 1999 and another 2,090 in 2000.

These were disappointing numbers, so Dave Hill and his engineers decided to use the fixed-roof coupe for an entirely different purpose.
And that purpose became the reincarnation of the Z06 nameplate

fine69

Busy user
Yes it was an entry level vette for the guy who wanted a more stripped out, cheaper, lighter car in the FRC shape. they're defo worth more than a coupe, not because they're rarer necessarily but because they're all 6 speeds and the FRC shape just looks better IMHO. Poor man's Z06 so to speak, Good cars.

STAYGOLD

CCCUK Member
Thanks for all the interest. Happy to say that the 99 FRC sold recently. Most important thing I did in selling it was to invest £140 in a deluxe mobile valet which included Jay, from Bishop Auckland, even cleaning the insides of the Borla exhaust tips with a toothbrush. Ironically, the car never looked better than it did the day we parted company. My C6 is still going strong. Best to everyone and their Vettes for 2023 and beyond.