2 steps forward and 1 step back (or is it 1 step forward and 2 back?)

johng

CCCUK Member
New harmonic damper arrived, fitted and engine running again. My son helped me bleed the brakes, which felt pretty firm.
Seemed like a good idea to put both things together and take the car for a drive for the first time in nearly 3 years. Only the length of my driveway, but better than nothing and with a couple of old tyres for seats about as far as we wanted to go anyway!
So engine works, gearbox works, steering works and brakes work if you press really hard - no power assistance!
Put the car back in the garage and checked the vacuum at the brake booster. Getting 20in Hg, so tried pulling a vacuum on the booster - nothing either with or without the brake pedal pushed. Booster was working fine when I last drove it, but looks like I now need to get a new one, which is going to be real fiddle to fit. Just hope I can get the master cylinder off without breaking the pipes.

Alben78

Well-known user
When I had my booster out the biggest problem was access to the 4 nuts holding the booster to the lower scuttle. But as you have the seats out already at least you have the room to get under there. If I remember correctly there is enough movement in the pipes to leave the m/c connected to the brake lines. Best of luck.